Roll call: Any old NASDS divers out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just found this thread - my NASDS card is # B3126 from Aqua Sports in Redwood City CA. No date on the card, but my NAUI card from the same course series #40699 is dated Sept. 1967, signed by Les Newport of Aqua Sports. I was re-certified in 1998 by PDIC after nearly 30 dive free years, and my friend, who took the original classes with me in 1967, was re-certified last year after we talked at a 40 year high school reunion.
Went to Grand Turk with him in May 2009 - saw Manta and dolphins underwater on his first 4 dives in 30 years. Told him he hit the jackpot. Going to Dumaguete Philippines with him in May. Never too old to get wet. In fact, a high school friend just finishing chemo/radiation therapy is thinking of learning to dive so he can go with us. He didn't learn back then. We live so far apart - Washington, California, and Maine - that that is the best chance for us to get together and see each other again - on a dive trip to someplace warm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Randy..

Dick Hammas... That’s the name I could not remember. I have no what happened to any of them.

Somebody I went to the college with had something to do with SSI I think. I remember trying to replace my card a few years back (the original one is still in my wallet but could fall apart at any time.) and called them. The name of the person in charge rang a bell.

About a year after the college I was in a BIG auto wreck as the passenger coming back from a day of diving. Almost didn’t make it. The Drs. made a strong point that I should give up diving due to some of the bones I broke (joints). So my diving dreams went out the door and I drop out of that world. I wish I had not listened to them.:shakehead:

But no joint replacements yet.

Thanks DogFrog
Spoke with Marlene at SSI and she will ask Doug when he returns. Dick was one of the Instructors at the College.... Very smart man and a GREAT Teacher. I enjoyed his lectures. He taught the more advanced barometric pressure theories and made them easier to understand thus easier to teach. He is a retired Recon Marine as well as a Prof. at one of the Colleges in Southern Calif. (can't remember which one) Sorry to hear about your auto accident..... YOUR ALIVE.... more important than ANYTHING. You can always start instructing again. I did and I found that the skills that I developed at the NASDS College came back to me. Testimonial to John Gaffneys vision and Tony Zemos/Dick Hammas quality Instruction.
All the Bess to you and your Family
Randy

1976 resead ca. at aloha dive by rody winton. i tried to get my cert card back but found out the NASDS had a fire and burned the records. recertified by padi 1998.

I was NASDS certified in 1975 at the Anchor Shack in Hayward California by Ben Rush. My original plastic card is still in good shape. Don't see any reason to waste $45 to replace it with SSI. Anyone else certified at this location during this time?

Last edited:
Certified 1972, C&G sports/Dive shop Panama City, Ronnie Groom #340, can't find my old card. Looking to replace it

certified by NASDS in 1962 or '63 at Ski N Dive.

Back
Top Bottom