Rosie O'Donnell the Shark murderer. And Mark the Shark charters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oops. .

Nice is right. Calling me out now? Very mature. The person you were mocking was actually being reasonable, even if he didn't fully agree with you.
Lol. Not at all. I realize today I incorrectly inferred something from your post and not want appear I was hiding behind anonymity.

I feel very strongly about these matters. Peace.

Commercial fishing is a real thorn in my side as Rec fishermen... but let me ask you about all the people that make a living from this? Are they just supposed stop being fishermen one day and become rocket scientists?

Believe me, I am not defending the way they go about it, but this is how they were taught by their fathers and grandfathers that have been doing it for hundreds of year, and they really don’t know any other way. It’s a very tough life to be a fishermen and these guys work very hard and put their life at risk every day.

We do need commercial fishing, and need to do a better job of controlling that, but even that industry has been taken over by technology- which is what is creating the problem. It has become too easy to catch large volumes of fish. Countries do not cooperate with each other to regulate the industry.

But for the sport fishing industry, honestly, job security should not matter. The fisherman's right to making a living does not supersede the needs of the entire planet. That is exactly the right of entitlement mentality that creates some of these problems. People's livelihoods get eliminated every day- manual labor is a great example. People who worked at steel plants, many second and third generation, no longer have jobs. Auto workers have been replaced in large numbers by automation. True machinists were replaced by CNC and CAD programs. Know anyone that sold pagers? They either transitioned to cell phones or found a new job. How about "Travel Agents" - not much need with the internet and direct booking. No one is guaranteed a job just because it is what they have always done. How many cowboys do you see today?

Wow, this thread has saddened me terribly. It is hard to believe that divers would take such a pro kill stance on shark fishing if they knew anything about the long term affects that depletion of sharks creates. Maybe you might try reading about this;

[url]http://sharkandcoralconservation.com/about.php

http://www.coml.org/discoveries/trends/shark_decline_effects

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/29/science/29cnd-sharks.html

[/URL]I live in North Carolina where the bay scallop industry is being destroyed by shark fishing. Cow nosed rays have always been kept in check by shark predation. The cow nosed rays favorite foods are scallops and other bivalves. The shark populations off our coast has plummeted due to commercial "joy killing". As a result, cow nosed ray population has exploded decimating the bay scallop population. This is just ONE example of the long term effect of this senseless killing.

Very little is known about shark reproduction. But, what IS known is that they have long gestations, low pup output and a very long time before they reach reproductive age.

This is from the shark foundation website;

Every year between 600,000 and 750,000 tons of sharks are caught and often most brutally slaughtered. Statistically, the average weight of a caught shark is only about 10 to 20 kg. In other words, about 100 million sharks are caught each year, or 273,973 sharks per day, or the equivalent of 11,416 sharks per hour!Three sharks die every second.Due to their very low reproduction rate, sharks can no longer compensate for the population losses which they suffer on all fronts. Shark pregnancies are long and their well-developed offspring are few in number and usually cannot reproduce until they are much older. Shark populations thus react much more dramatically to overfishing and changes in their environment than do normal bony fish.The Shark Foundation opposes senseless overfishing and advocates the wise, sustainable usage of worldwide shark populations. The only way to help shark populations recover is by coordinating shark fishing internationally and by introducing closed fishing seasons and protected areas.Large Swiss distributors such as Migros, Globus and Coop no longer sell any shark products. So, you divers out there.

Many areas are considered already beyond the shark poulations ability to recover. How are those beautiful reefs going to look like after they are gone?

The pro shark killers are fantastically short sighted. Shame on you!

BTW, I am a hunter. I spearfish. I eat what I kill and would avoid any prey that had dwindling numbers or were in any jeopardy.

Last edited:
I ignored it because it's ridiculous. 14%????? If you're a reasonably intelligent person you don't have to ponder the imposibility of that number for long to realize it's not even in the realm of reality. Come up with something in the neighborhood under .001% and we can talk.

Let's ponder it with some math from the stats given. One guy has killed 100,000 sharks out of 38 million taken yearly, that's 0.2%, already twenty times higher than you originally thought.

With the pictures, you are starting to sound like PETA. The impact of the recreational community is from a combined effect, not one boat that had a good day, so you're not going to get the shocking pictures, but numbers don't lie. Put it together, if 11% of the world population fishes recreationally and the world is at 6.33 billion people, 696 million people are fishing worldwide (again, notice I didn't increase the font size). According to the peer-reviewed paper in front of me, not some internet know-it-all, the combined weight of all those recreationally caught fish is 10.86 million metric tons. How can you tell me that 10 million tons of fish isn't significant?

The pro shark killers are fantastically short sighted. Shame on you!

:shakehead:

It must be nice to live in a fantasy world, where you pretend there is no stewardship of sharks going on, and that there is no differentiation between responsible harvesting of resources that is carefully overseen and managed versus irresponsible exploitation of a species.

I'd support a level of sustainable harvest if we had any idea what that meant. At the moment we pick numbers arbitrarily based less on the (inaccurate) data and more on the need to keep fishermen in business. When they have fished the stocks down, the government pays them anyway through subsidiaries in the off chance that things change for the better next year, which takes the supply/demand level of control out of the equation as well.

:shakehead:

It must be nice to live in a fantasy world, where you pretend there is no stewardship of sharks going on, and that there is no differentiation between responsible harvesting of resources that is carefully overseen and managed versus irresponsible exploitation of a species.

(Emphassis added by me)
Quartiano and his charter business, Monster Fishing, specialize in catching sailfish, marlin, wahoo, tuna and of course shark. He said he takes passengers two to three miles offshore. “The thresher (shark) is new around here the last couple of years,” he said. “No one’s caught them before I found a special area where they breed. We caught 16 in the last two months.”

(From Boca Raton Magazine- linked from his website)
"Twenty years from now you are not going to be able to kill sharks. Whatever fish are left after the commercial guys wipe them out will be protected. It's sad. This is our last generation of hunters. I am a dinosaur." Quintano pauses, then he grins. "But if I kill the last shark, I don't care."

What part of this is "responsible harvesting of resources that is carefully overseen and managed versus irresponsible exploitation of a species" ?

I'd support a level of sustainable harvest if we had any idea what that meant. At the moment we pick numbers arbitrarily based less on the (inaccurate) data and more on the need to keep fishermen in business. When they have fished the stocks down, the government pays them anyway through subsidiaries in the off chance that things change for the better next year, which takes the supply/demand level of control out of the equation as well.

Glad you would support a sustainable harvest, because that is exactly how it should work, and is working. It's the basis of the entire reason Mark the Shark is so irrelevant.

So where in USA controlled waters do you see these arbitrary numbers combined with government subsidaries you are referring to? Is it related to sharks or are you speaking in terms of something else like lobster fishing? If you have some links to something I'd be interested in getting some education on it.

I think any of us who have watched some of the recent popular shows on the discovery channel have gotten some education that there is some very specific sustainable harvest going on. Watching something like The Deadliest Catch you become very aware about it, since every show is centered around a specific crab season, there is lots of discussion of quotas and all the rules and regulations regarding everything they do. Based on the success they are having it sure appears on the surface that there is a very good and working sustainable harvest going on in regard to Alaskan crab waters.

Merxlin - I don't know what you want me to tell you. There is nothing in your response to what you quoted that has any relevance. So what if the guy doesn't care if he kills the last shark? Does your hate of him have to do with his comments or his actions? So far nobody has been able to produce anything that shows he is doing anything illegal. If he's operating outside the law then go after him.

All I see in your quotes is a guy speaking the truth. He points out the real problem like I keep doing which is the commercial slaughter of sharks by the millions for their fins to be used in the Asian shark fin soup market. He's dead on correct in pointing out who is responsible for damaging the shark population.

(Emphassis added by me)

(From Boca Raton Magazine- linked from his website)

What part of this is "responsible harvesting of resources that is carefully overseen and managed versus irresponsible exploitation of a species" ?
The guy has been trolling since he joined this thread. Either that or he is living on another planet.

Back
Top Bottom