Fort Lauderdale man reels in 582-pound shark near beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Fort Lauderdale man reels in 582-pound shark near beach

Alva James-Johnson
Staff Writer

November 22, 2004

After wrestling for nearly three hours with a scalloped hammerhead shark off South Beach, a Fort Lauderdale man reeled in the 12-foot, 582-pounder Sunday not far from where people were swimming.

"I might have to buy a house because I don't have a wall to put this thing on," said Mark Farmer, 33, who caught the shark while on a chartered fishing expedition. "I never caught anything this big, so it's really cool."

Farmer said he hooked the shark at about 10 a.m. while he and about four other fishermen were on a shark fishing trip with Mark the Shark, owner of a deep-sea gamefishing charter company for 35 years in Miami.

"Immediately, the reels took off screaming because it was pulling out lines so fast," Farmer said.

He sat in a fighting chair, and reeled the shark in after about three hours, he said. By Sunday night it was at a taxidermist, where it will be turned into a trophy.

The charter company owner said the hammerhead Farmer caught Sunday was one of the biggest he's ever seen.

"I catch them all the time, but the size is very unique," he said.

Alan Ogle caught a 994-pound hammerhead off Sarasota on May 30, 1982, according to a Florida Fishing and Wildlife Conservation Commission Web site.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/lo...,0,3856680,print.story?coll=sfla-news-broward

Marc

To paraphrase Tommy Lee Jones in Men in Black There always have been and always will be large predators close to swimming areas of the beach and the only thing that keeps the people happy is they just don't know about it.

TwoBit

TwoBitTxn:
To paraphrase Tommy Lee Jones in Men in Black There always have been and always will be large predators close to swimming areas of the beach and the only thing that keeps the people happy is they just don't know about it.

Fecal coliform and flesh-eating bacteria too. Yummy.

I saw on Discovery Documentary Channel where a group of animal activist go around the globe recording and documenting animal abuse around the world. Funny this group of people never come back to their own back yard to record animal abuse in USA. Perhaps turning a beautiful shark into trophy is not animal abuse according to Discovery Channel animal abuse standard.

I don't believe in turning a beautiful life into wall hanging dust collecting piece. If I don't plan to consume it, I won't catch it and waste it's life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom