Drifters rescued - Fort Pierce, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
The story says that they activated a PLB, but the Coasties couldn't find them. I'd like to know which model they used.

A fishing charter off Fort Pierce potentially became a lifesaving rescue mission for two divers who were reported missing a few hours earlier.

In the end, the anglers caught their limit of red snapper, but the two men survived a trip into the Bermuda Triangle where they nearly became stranded in shark-infested waters.

The afternoon of July 9, Jordan Walther, Charles Resta, Will Music and Carlton Young were fishing on Resta's 23-foot boat for red snapper in about 130 feet of water due east of Fort Pierce Inlet. After catching their limit, Walther aimed the boat to a fishing spot in shallower water where he planned to catch mangrove snapper, mutton snapper and maybe other species like kingfish.

"We started running back inshore and I saw something in the water about 300 yards away. Then I told Charlie they were divers. When they realized we saw them, they started waving their floats," said Walther, who operates Wake Up Call charters out of Vero Beach.

Right away, Walther and his crew shifted into rescue mode. When they pulled up, they could tell the men were in trouble.

As the divers came aboard, it was clear they did not know when — or if — they would be found. They told Walther, the boat that took them to the reef they were diving was supposed to rendezvous with them in an hour. But after the hour passed, there was no sign of the boat. The divers refused to talk to TCPalm for this story.

Walther said the men had activated a personal locator beacon so the Coast Guard had been notified of their plight, but was unable to located them. Good thing Walther and Resta came by when they did.

"We gave them water which they sucked down right away. One diver had already dropped his tank and weight gear, so we could tell he was tired. The divers told us they were hoping to spear some red snapper, but all they saw was short mutton snapper and lionfish," Walther said.

Walther called in to the Coast Guard who called off any search. They were able to connect with the boat who had been instructed by the Coast Guard to wait inside Fort Pierce Inlet. That's where Walther and Resta helped transfer the divers to their original boat. The divers offered to pay Walther who refused their money, but he did accept their delicious lionfish.

Resta told the two divers they were lucky. They had been in 113 feet of water and were drifting at about 4 knots to the north. If no one found them, they could have drifted farther out to sea and been picked up by the Gulf Stream.

"I told them to buy lottery tickets," Resta said. "I guess the moral of the story is to have an airtight float plan with your chase boat and never depend on someone finding you after being under water for 45 minuets. The chase boat should always stay with the divers displaying the proper flag. It was our lucky day to limit out on red snapper and prevent a possible tragedy."

This story has a whiff of BS from the divers
Why do you think that? Of course, the article is taken from the boat fishermen, and the divers weren't talking. I guess there is a scuba tank floating around out there.

The PLB reportedly alerted the Coasties, but the homing beacon seems to have failed them which seems odd. If the PLB had the power to send a 5 watt signal to the satellites, why did the location system not work? There are many old PLBs for sale on ebay, and I do hope that all buyers realize that they need professional battery service and testing. A PLB location system can be tested before risk and should be periodically.

“but he did accept their delicious lionfish”?

This story has a whiff of BS from the divers

I agree.

Seems as though someone got caught doing something they might not have been supposed to be doing?

I'm confused as to why a diver would drop weights AND tank but keep lionfish?
There were two divers.

Seems as though someone got caught doing something they might not have been supposed to be doing?
Are you suggesting "legally" or "best practices" ? Legally, the diver's appear to have started the dive correctly intending to stay near the boat's flag on the dive. On the other hand, in the SB tradition of "Best practices/equipment" that's subjective and argumentative and fills 10's of pages.

But in the Coast Guard's eyes, the captain is ALWAYS responsible for his passengers. The reporter's notes on the PLB 'failure or delay' is the number one reason why I choose to carry an U/W tested VHF 2-way radio instead of a PLB in southeast Florida waters. I do carry a PLB in non-populated dives like Cocos/Galapagos/etc.

Their PLB should have transmitted Gps data as well as a local homing signal, but then the reporter did not talk with the divers. I suspect the facts obtained from the boaters got confused as to what they actually used and the actual results.

I'm confused as to why a diver would drop weights AND tank but keep lionfish?
And not just any lionfish, "delicious" lionfish!

Why do you think that? Of course, the article is taken from the boat fishermen, and the divers weren't talking. I guess there is a scuba tank floating around out there.

The PLB reportedly alerted the Coasties, but the homing beacon seems to have failed them which seems odd. If the PLB had the power to send a 5 watt signal to the satellites, why did the location system not work? There are many old PLBs for sale on ebay, and I do hope that all buyers realize that they need professional battery service and testing. A PLB location system can be tested before risk and should be periodically.
What about the boat that dropped them?? Did the divers have flags?

Back
Top Bottom