Drifters rescued - Fort Pierce, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm aware of that but they kept their catch. I find that odd.
I've heard of spearfishing and lobster hunting drifters who were rescued after longer absences with their catches, but then I don't guess that the catches weigh much in the water. Attracting sharks would worry me, but then that risk would stop me before shooting. At least one of these guys dropped his weights so he could float higher and be easier to be seen, but I wonder why he dropped his tank that should be buoyant after a dive.

I could be wrong but my feeling from reading the article was that the diver dropped his tank and weights as soon as he was in their boat.

I could be wrong but my feeling from reading the article was that the diver dropped his tank and weights as soon as he was in their boat.
Yeah, I think you are. Have you ever heard of a diver dropping tank and weights in a boat?

The boater is quoted as saying "One diver had already dropped his tank and weight gear" which tells me that happened before the rescue.

Which one have you had good luck with?
I run the Standard Horizon HX-40 and it puts out a full 5 watt transmit. I've tested it at 5 miles and it's loud and clear. It's packed in a McMurdo double O-ring 330ft canister with a green laser beam to shine into beach condo windows so they will call the police on me and scream someone's laser beaming them. And also a small GPS so I can tell someone my exact coordinates and drift speed with direction. I've been diving with this for 20 years and used it a dozen times. It's saved my butt!!
20190810_163459.jpg
20190811_112215.jpg

McMurdo double O-ring
Since you own it, you wouldn't want to replace it, but it is heavy carrying to the dive site. The nylon canisters are so much lighter. Looks like a nice setup tho.

And not just any lionfish, "delicious" lionfish!
Would probably make some great tacos!

I don't really get the whiff of BS, though. It sounds like maybe one diver panicked and ditched his gear, and the other was able to hold on to his gear and his catch. I probably wouldn't want to talk to the press either, in their situation. I don't see any inconsistencies between what the fishermen relayed of the divers' account and the info obtained from other sources.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom