Rotator cuff surgery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

olkev

Registered
Reaction score
I had rotator cuff surgery this summer. Anybody else on here have it done? How did it effect your subsequent diving, if at all?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

I had rotator cuff surgery this summer. Anybody else on here have it done? How did it effect your subsequent diving, if at all?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

I have also had rotator cuff and impengement syndrom surgery. But I was not a diver before. I started diving several years later. For the most part, it doesn't bother me. There are certain time that the weight of all that we carry to the boat gets me achey. Or getting the wetsuit on/off on that shoulder. But for the most part, that's it. Once in water, no biggie. :D

I had bone spurs removed and the torn rotator cuff repaired. You may have problems with mobility and strength for the first year but long term you will not have any problems. Other than scars, you'd never know I had it done.

If I am not mistaken...and I may be...rotator cuff surgery requires a good bit of time to recover from, to the point that you are cleared for full activity. I would encourage you to wait until your physician clears you and partake, to the letter, any physical therapy he or she instructs you to do. Even with that, I personally would not be slinging a harness or carring a cylinder with the affected shoulder/arm. It may take a couple of trips to get your gear loaded, but I would think it worth the time....

Pretty much what Palatkaboy said. I did my own physical therapy. I was diving about three months after surgery. (Complete shoulder rebuild at 66 years old.) For my part, no more freestyle swimming. Don't want the left side to go out. You really don't use your arms much when scuba diving anyway. I thought that I might have some trouble getting back on the boat at first but mostly used the left arm for the return trip up the ladder. As far as scarring, you can't hardly see the four inch cut. Weird was there was no stitching, just tape holding the cut together. It took about nine months for all the soreness to go away for good. A younger person might come out of it sooner. Don't get the idea that you will be dancing out of the operating room and ;oaying round ball the next day. The op is pretty complicated and requires that the joint be immobile for a few weeks. Get your work done by an experienced sports medicine surgeon and you should be OK.

I have 2 torn rotators from martial arts and skiing.....I exercised the remaining good tissue to such a point that I am almost unaware they are damaged. Took awhile but am fully recovered and can put both arms over my head again. Just cant lay down with hands behind my head for too long. Reason being is my lifestyle wouldnt permit me to be down long enough for surgery.

I agree with everything said. I want to add that I had the dump valve on my drysuit moved further down the arm so that I wasn't over extending my reach againt the BC strap. I lost 30% use of my right arm and after 10 years I can still feel it. Making adjustments all the time.

I had the surgery in 2004, and still feel it today.
I did have to go with the quick release Dive-Rite harness because of the
lack of range of motion in my right shoulder.
I also do not have the strength in my right arm that I did before the injury.
Note that I also tore the bicept from my shoulder, so that plays into the mix also.

Jim Breslin

These are all good points. The main ones being: 1. Go to a good sports medicine physician. You'll appreciate it later.
2. Keep yourself immobilized whatever time your Dr. says. 3. Do ALL your physical therapy as long as it takes.

My shoulder injury was work related. Pushing a gurney with a 300lb+ patient on it. It happened in 93. By 1997, it was obvious I needed surgery after all the injections/physical therapy didn't work. But I was riding horses at the time and when I couldn't lift my own saddle on my horse, I knew it was time.

I had the impengement syndrom so they shaved off some of the shoulder bone. Then they found a rotator cuff tear that was unknown. So they repaired that. I was off work for 12 weeks with intense physical therapy. Went back to work part time for 6 months. And finally to full time. Is it perfect? No. Am I alot better? Yes. I have almost all my range of motion but I do get achey if I've fatigued it. Or in the winter, I can predict the rain. lol.... But I'm interested in something that someone else said here. That they can't swim. I've noticed achiness with swimming, which seems so non threatening, but makes sense. I thought I was being a wimp. If you have the surgery done, ask them about a shoulder block. I didn't know about it but my friend had it after mine. It's like an epidural for the shoulder and wears off after 12 hours. How I wish to god I'd had that. Make no bones about it, it's the most painful surgery every. And I've had several for various reasons. That I thought I would not make it. And had to stay overnight for pain meds. Not very fun.

I had it done several years ago rotator cuff and bone spurs. One of the best things I ever did.I was off work for about 4 weeks and limited duty for about 8. It took about a year to get 80 to 90% mobility and 2 years to get back to 100 +%.

Do your therapy and do not over do it. If it hurts DON'T DO IT. If you screw it up before it's heeled you'll be worse off than you were when you started.

Good luck and get healed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom