Routing of power inflator and corrugated hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sadn3sss

Registered
Reaction score
I recently got a Halcyon Infinity system and still trying to get some things right. I have a question on how the power inflator and corrugated hose gets managed.

I remember the integrated BCD's usually have a velcro loop located at exactly on top of the shoulder. This allowed you to raise the power inflator almost straight up to start the descent.

If you look at the Halcyon Infinity system, or probably any BP/W, the left shoulder D-ring is located high on the chest. Mine is about 1-inch below my clavicle. I assume that's proper height. On the left shoulder D-ring, is an elastic band. All the info I have shows the LP inflator hose attached to the corrugated hose using two EDPM bands. Then both the inflator hose and corrugated hose is placed inside the elastic band on the left should D-ring.

The power inflator barely sticks out of the elastic band. When I grab it to raise, I end up having to yank on it otherwise it is inverted. Also, it seems to me that the corrguated hose starts on the wing, goes up over the shoulder, then down a few inches, then back up through the elastic band. This creates somewhat of an S-trap and the hose can not be raised straight up. My question is, is this correct or is this a problem? Is this the way it is supposed to be. I had a few dives and it didn't seem a problem just seemed awkward.

If it is not correct, how do you solve it? Some initial thoughts below ...

1. Am I supposed to use that elastic band only to organize the hoses and take it out during a dive? Wouldn't it flutter or might fall over the left side of the shoulder? I'd hate to have to "find" it.

2. I thought about adding another triglide and elastic band high on the shoulder but I don't really want a triglide on a part of the body that is so mobile during a dive for fear it might cause discomfort.

3. I can just place one of the EDPM bands high on the shoulder, and loop only the inflator hose though. Then place another EDPM band lower and tie both the corrugated hose and inflator hose together. This should keep them together and still allow me to raise the power inflator straight up.

What's the "correct" way and thanks in advance for the responses.

My wife and I have no bands on my hoses. What I choose to do is leave my corrugated hose through the bungie loop and hook the inflator hose up on the outside. You should not have to lift your inflator very high to get it to release pressure, just over the wing, not over your head. I have enough slack and stretch in my bungie that it slides up and stretches a little.

The bungee on the left shoulder d-ring should contain the inflator components. You should only be vertical on the surface so it shouldn't be an issue when diving, and being bungee if you do need to use it during the dive you should be able to without issue.

Probably the bigger issue is your lack of use of the dump on the wing. In a proper horizontal trim position, you should be able to quickly reach back and dump air from the wing without changing your body position in the water. With experience, you can easily reach back and dump small amounts as needed to remain neutral. Most divers with proper trim only use the inflator to get under the water before transitioning to horizontal trim and almost exclusively using the dump on the wing.

1. no, stays where it is supposed to be

2. no need for another tri glide

3. not needed

More importantly is this. you do not need to raise the inflator over your head to descent, it only has to be above the highest point of the wing which it should easily be able to reach. This is commonly taught in open water, and it is straight up wrong. Straight out in front if you is sufficient. It is also highly unlikely you are dumping all of the air out of your BC to start descent because the wing is compensating for the weight of gas in your cylinder, so you shouldn't have to deflate fully

Another option is to remove that elastic band from the left shoulder triglide/D-Ring Assembly, and just re-thread it loosely on the left shoulder so that it's free to slide up and down; the idea is that it still functions as a retainer for the corrugated & LP Inflator hose Assembly --but now it allows full extension of the corrugated hose vertically to dump wing air as needed (if you don't want to re-thread your harness, just cut the elastic band & discard; use a loop of bungee as replacement and tie it around the left shoulder strap with an over-hand knot and use as the new hose retainer).

Actually, this is the hose retainer configuration that I was taught to utilize in my advanced wreck class. Sometimes you might be traversing/ascending a long narrow now vertical passageway in a capsized ship on its side, and the only way to deflate the wing is to get in vertical trim & fully extend the dump hose to vent gas.

Truth be told you don't need to have the thing straight up to vent gas from it. It only has to be the highest point.

If your harness is adjusted property and the dring is where it's supposed to be, the corrugated hose ends up in the right spot and can easily empty your wing.

Just to clarify a few things and to make sure I understand the concepts involved ...

I didn't have trouble dumping air. I just couldn't tell if it was fully deflated or not, or if it would cause other problems.

So it doesn't have to be higher than your head. I was more concerned that the hose wasn't straight. It goes up from the wing, over the shoulder, down to the bungee loop, and then up again. The highest point is probably the shoulder, unless I really yank on it and pull it higher. Doesn't this S pattern cause any issues? Or is it just negligible?

So I get that you should use the dump valves when you are horizontal. When I do an ascent, I usually get vertical, dump air, and swim up. This is when I use the power inflator. Is this correct or not?

s pattern should be slight, but air will find the highest point.

when you ascent, you should stay horizontal, inhale a bit more than normal to initiate your ascent, and stay horizontal until you are at your safety stop. Only then do you go vertical and that is only to make sure you aren't going to get run over by a boat or go up and whack your head on something. The only time you should dump air out of the corrugated hose is on initial descent, and the final 10-15ft of your ascent. Everything else should be done from your rear dump

So I get that you should use the dump valves when you are horizontal. When I do an ascent, I usually get vertical, dump air, and swim up. This is when I use the power inflator. Is this correct or not?

There's no need. All you have to do is go ever so slightly head down and you can feel the bubble of air at the dump valve. Let out a little and drift up. The nice thing about staying flat is you can immediately fin to your buddy if she needs help, or fin down a little if you're rising too quickly. You also have the additional surface area of your flat body slowing your ascent. If you're vertical, any movement of your fins is just going to send you up faster.

Just to clarify a few things and to make sure I understand the concepts involved ...

I didn't have trouble dumping air. I just couldn't tell if it was fully deflated or not, or if it would cause other problems.

So it doesn't have to be higher than your head. I was more concerned that the hose wasn't straight. It goes up from the wing, over the shoulder, down to the bungee loop, and then up again. The highest point is probably the shoulder, unless I really yank on it and pull it higher. Doesn't this S pattern cause any issues? Or is it just negligible?

What's the make & model of your first stage reg, its orientation on your Halcyon Infinity kit & tank, and LP inflator hose length?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom