Royal AquaMaster and quasi DIR???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can run a Phoenix or a Royal IP between 140 and 150 with no issues. Frankly, I never carry an octo or pony with my double hoses. Unless some charter operation requires one leave it home. This backup stuff is way over blown. I'm with Pesky, I too have been diving 50 years without ever using or needing a backup reg.

I fully agree, when I rig an octopus it is not for redundancy because an octopus rig really does not provide redundancy, it is there for me to give to a buddy in an OOA situation, it is not there for redundancy and provide essentially none.

I carry a pony sometimes for deep solo for idiot proofing (me). The other time I find them useful is for deep single tank diving as a means of providing air to an OOA diver without compromising my own supply. Example, my three trips recently to the Mighty O. Dove mostly with strangers, my first trip I observed that the depth and size of the wreck and the current was really to much for a typical single 80 diver and yet I bet 90% of the dives there are on an 80. I figured having a pony I could hand off would be useful after one captain complained to me that it had become routine to bring OOA divers up from over 100 feet on this wreck.

N

I fully agree, when I rig an octopus it is not for redundancy because an octopus rig really does not provide redundancy, it is there for me to give to a buddy in an OOA situation, it is not there for redundancy and provide essentially none.

I carry a pony sometimes for deep solo for idiot proofing (me). The other time I find them useful is for deep single tank diving as a means of providing air to an OOA diver without compromising my own supply. Example, my three trips recently to the Mighty O. Dove mostly with strangers, my first trip I observed that the depth and size of the wreck and the current was really to much for a typical single 80 diver and yet I bet 90% of the dives there are on an 80. I figured having a pony I could hand off would be useful after one captain complained to me that it had become routine to bring OOA divers up from over 100 feet on this wreck.

N

I totally agree with you on those statements.

I often dive with divers that are not familiar with a double hose and even if they were, buddy breathing from a double hose is…lets say, less than ideal.

I started diving a double hose in the very early 70’s (before octopus were really around) and have always found the DH very reliable, but IMO the octopus can add convenience and some safety when diving with other.

Well I must say I did get a lot of good advice. I feel confident that the RAM will not fail with proper care. But because Im Relatively new to diving and vintage for that matter. Im going to try different things until I feel confident.

I got a little intimidated by all the books I read about clearing a flooded regulator. And It made me think i would be better of with a separate 2nd stage in case I couldn't get the RAM to clear. ( I will be doing a lot of pool training first)

Im not even thinking about doubles yet but when i do I like the Shearwood set up a lot. I think I'll try the T off the hooka for my Wing and Back up reg. And either the Banjo or post for the SPG. And of course i'll get the recommend swivel's

I have a few follow up questions.

1. I'm considering the Conshelf XIV, and SP 109/156. The SP 109 is balanced so that might be a better choice for me at this point in the game. Do these fit the bill?

SCUBA DIVING SCUBAPRO R109 SECOND STAGE REGULATOR - eBay (item 290264138912 end time Oct-05-08 16:30:43 PDT)

Scubapro R109 Adj Scuba Second Stage Regulator Octopus - eBay (item 250300674424 end time Oct-02-08 20:00:00 PDT)

Is this the recommend Conshelf 2nd stage? Is it supposed to be Roman Numerals?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...rms=algo=SI&its=I&itu=UCI&otn=15&po=LVI&ps=54

2. Nemrod, I have a Freedom plate also and have been very influenced buy your rigs.
I'm planning on getting a 40 in hose for the Octo and routing it under the arm as you suggested. What length hose are you using for the SPG on your Freedom plate? Also I'm using an OXYCEQ 30# what length hose will fit nicely to the inflator ?

3. Luis, Thank you for understanding my attempt at safety. Can you give me a lead on the PMDSV? What the he!! does that mean anyway? I look forward to your pic's of your Modified Conshelf and SP 109.

4. Most of my diving right now will be above 75 feet in Fresh and Salt water on a Single tank. What would be a Proper
Pony bottle for this setting (ie. size, how to attach.) ?

Last edited:
The diffuculty of clearing a double hose is much exaggerated and what most texts don't explain is that they are talking about pre-cage valve mouthpieces. Mouthpieces equipped with one way cage valves are not prone ot flooding (of the can).

A PMDSV, Poor Man's DSV.

The hose for my spg is a 26 inch, 26-29 inches shuold work.

The hose for my Mach V is the standard length hose provided, 22 inches, a 24 inch mighr be better for a non Phoenix.

I recommend a 19 cf luxfer and sling it on your left side from the lh shoulder D ring to the lh waist D ring.

N

A lot of the write ups about double hose flooding dates to the days before there were check valves in the mouthpiece (AKA EZ-clear mouthpiece from US Divers). For a double hose to totally flood with the check valves it would require a substantial malfunction.

Some people get also intimidated by the lack of a purge button, but all you need to do is raise the mouthpiece above the level of the diaphragm and the free flow will totally purge the mouthpiece. Just reach for it with your mouth wile it is flowing. Once you try it once you will see how amazingly easy it works.

The easiest way to clear the mouthpiece most of the time is just a quick blow…just like a single hose regulator. It is about the same volume. There are check valves on the intake and exhaust of the mouthpiece. All you need to clear is the mouthpiece itself…it is easy.

The Scubapro 109 is not balanced. It is easily converted to balance by changing three internal parts and then it becomes the 156. The conversion is really easy and can be done during service. The two units you posted look in very good condition, but both will need service.

That is also a nice looking Conshelf.

PMDSV = Poor Mans Dive Surface Valve.

Thanks for all the great info. I'm really close to having all the need parts to complete my set-up. Then I can start my pool training with my Double hose.

I bought this yoke fitting hoping it would work. Well it doesn't. It bottoms out on the hooka port and has no way of sealing. I was thinking of finding a teflon washer that would fit over the hooka threads and rest at the bottom. What do you think? I have the 2 port.
yblock_group.jpg

I really like that Double Y. But if i cant make it safe then oh well.

Luis, Is this what your using in the second picture?
IS-HO-0130-2T.jpg

DSCN3294.jpg

Nemrod, How do you set up a break away Fisherman knot for your Neck mounted Octo?

Last edited:
Nemrod,
Please, please stop torturing me with the pictures of your DH set ups. My check book is burning and my spouse is getting really nervous every time I go to the Vintage Dual hose Website. Real nice rig. I am envious.

Jim

Dive Rite Express has some nice three way splitters.

This link is for the fisherman knot:

Double fisherman's knot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No it is not a scuba link but the knot is the same, once tied you slip the mouthpiece of the octopus in between the two knots and then pull it tight. It will hold the octopus second securely and yet it can be tugged free for deployment to an OOA diver. I like the thin bungee material,about 1/8 or 3/16 size I think it is. The Manta octopus holder accomplishes the same thing.

Regulator Necklace

Nemrod,
Please, please stop torturing me with the pictures of your DH set ups. My check book is burning and my spouse is getting really nervous every time I go to the Vintage Dual hose Website. Real nice rig. I am envious.

Jim

Sorry:D. The regulator in InfidelXX previous post is probably Luis's rig. I don't do mine like that exactly. Luis has some nice regulators, so do I :) and so do a number of vintage divers. Hey, it is only money and given that the stock market and all that has wiped me out, what the heck, a few more dollars here or there, who cares, cannot spend it from the grave.

N

The picture is of Luis's Rig. However Nemrod does have the coolest rig's I've seen to date. Seeing his Freedom plated and RAM has cost me a lot of money is a short time.

Nemrod, I took your advice earlier in the thread to look at Dive Rite Express for the splitter. I'll be damned if I can find one on there. The only thing remotely close was the Y that I bought from them. Can you post a link ?...PLEASE! I know I'm a pain in the ARSE...If you would stop posting pic's of your sweet rig's , guy's like me wouldn't be so bothersome.:D

LUIS, Where do I find these? They are awesome!!!
_Users_jason_Desktop_knobs.jpg

Back
Top Bottom