Royal AquaMaster and quasi DIR???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the great info. I'm really close to having all the need parts to complete my set-up. Then I can start my pool training with my Double hose.

I bought this yoke fitting hoping it would work. Well it doesn't. It bottoms out on the hooka port and has no way of sealing. I was thinking of finding a teflon washer that would fit over the hooka threads and rest at the bottom. What do you think? I have the 2 port.
yblock_group.jpg

I really like that Double Y. But if i cant make it safe then oh well.
What you need is a hookah port adapter, or Octopus adapter as it's called at the VDH website. Then you can attach the 3 way swivel shown below. You could probably get the above splitters to work with some additional fittings, but I don't think you would get the hose routing where you'd like it.

Luis, Is this what your using in the second picture?
IS-HO-0130-2T.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm, I could have sworn I bought a three way swivel from Dive Rite. Well, no worries, Oxy Cheq has them:

Fittings-Swivels

I have seen them other places. I just gave my spare to a buddy or I would have given it to you, sorry.

The screw "thingies" that Luis has there are probably from McMaster Carr, google them and you will find zillions of screws and springs and nuts and fittings and all sorts of strange hardware useful for everything from lawnmower to your scuba gear.

I am happy to hear that I am costing you money. A few weeks ago I sneeked off for a quick dive adventure, a mini trip, I like watching people when I rig up, they often don't say anything, but they do LOOK. It is no big deal but it is funny to observe them during surface interval, they are afraid to ask because as you know guys don't like to ask questions because it is an admission of weakness (a a guy thing ya know) so they cannot satisfy their curiosity and it frustrates them. Then when they finally work up to it I have to disappoint them with, "no, you cannot buy one like it, no, that is custom made by XXXXXX, no, I made that and I only made one, no, they don't make those anymore but you can get parts from vdh.com, no, I got that from a friend and there are no more, no, they quit making these 30 years ago" etc. They almost cry. AND, as you are finding out, it costs a lot of money and time and effort to duplicate some of the rigs you see vintage divers or "eclectic" divers using because they are a mixture of items you cannot simply call up scubatoys.com or leisurepro.com and be satisfied.

There is a thread up in the BC section about plastic plates, he wants one. I have given all of mine away except for the ones I use and want to keep or I would send the poor fellow one or two but at least in this case those are plentiful but a few of the most gooder ones are hard to fine--lol.

N

The picture is of Luis's Rig. However Nemrod does have the coolest rig's I've seen to date. Seeing his Freedom plated and RAM has cost me a lot of money is a short time.

Nemrod, I took your advice earlier in the thread to look at Dive Rite Express for the splitter. I'll be damned if I can find one on there. The only thing remotely close was the Y that I bought from them. Can you post a link ?...PLEASE! I know I'm a pain in the ARSE...If you would stop posting pic's of your sweet rig's , guy's like me wouldn't be so bothersome.:D

LUIS, Where do I find these? They are awesome!!!
_Users_jason_Desktop_knobs.jpg

That picture is probably about three years old. If you notice the brass first stage is the experimental pre-Phoenix. It only had the HP ports. It did not have any LP ports and the first stage was actually deep inside the nozzle body.

Back before the Phoenix I used to use all those adapters in order to have LP air for all the accessories including my dry suit (I dive in Maine). I also used a banjo fitting for the pressure gauge…it all works, but it was a bit of a pain.

The thumb screws are from McMaster Carr.

I think they are either this:
91746A832
18-8 Stainless Steel Knurled-Head Thumb Screw Slotted, 4-40 Thread, 1/2" L, 1/4" Head Dia, 1/2" H

or this:
91746A836
18-8 Stainless Steel Knurled-Head Thumb Screw Slotted, 4-40 Thread, 3/4" L, 1/4" Head Dia, 1/2" H

I should put their part number in the Phoenix section of VDH in a sticky post. It is a question that is asked a lot. They do work great. I tend to disconnect at least the intake hose after every diving weekend.

Here are the hose fittings shown in that picture:

Regulator Hose Fitting (3)3/8" Females (1) 3/8" MALE (AA53) from LeisurePro.com

3/8" Male to 3/8" Female with Swivel, Regulator Adapter (AA46) from LeisurePro.com

AQUAA53.jpg

AQUHAA46.JPG

I like watching people when I rig up, they often don't say anything, but they do LOOK. It is no big deal but it is funny to observe them during surface interval, they are afraid to ask because as you know guys don't like to ask questions because it is an admission of weakness (a a guy thing ya know) so they cannot satisfy their curiosity and it frustrates them. Then when they finally work up to it I have to disappoint them ... N

Heh heh! Exactly. I just started diving a PRAM around Grand Cayman a few months ago and I have a great time gearing up in a crowd. Heck, the surface intervals are now as much fun as the dives!

a couple of points from a noobie:
- learning to clear a DH with the 1-way valves is easy; don't worry about it.
- buddy breathing is not so easy; this one definitely takes practice.
- the hoses do float up and tug on your jaw a bit, but I have yet to feel any real discomfort.
- DIR?? Sure, why not ask the question over in that forum? :popcorn:

Heh heh! Exactly. I just started diving a PRAM around Grand Cayman a few months ago and I have a great time gearing up in a crowd. Heck, the surface intervals are now as much fun as the dives!

There is something wrong with that statement…Don’t tell me that living in Grand Cayman you end up getting bored with having perfect diving everyday. :rolleyes:

I kind of know what you are saying, but heck I dive in Maine (it is good diving, but it is not the Caribbean).

DIR?? Sure, why not ask the question over in that forum? :popcorn:

You are evil…I like it. :lotsalove:

:D

Alex777 try using a real oval mask or vintage type square mask, the extended shelf at the bottom helps to trap and support the mouthpiece from lifting and rotating. Modern low volume masks can create problems due to the lack of support for the mouthpiece, especially with the straight style mouthpieces.

The USD curved mouthpiece is the most comfortable and does not rotate as much as the straight type, don't know which you have?

N

Alex, I DONT THINK SO! I have no intention to hear How i'm "DOing IT Wrong".
I do however like some of there routing Idea's. But then again I love Nemrod's set-up and Luis's newest one Check this out. Oh by the way thanks for all the help. I will post some pic's soon.

A funny thing happened to me we I went into the LDS Yesterday. I had taken my RAM and freedom plate so I check some hose lengths. When I walked in the door the owner's head turned. He immediately said "WOW, they dont make parts for that anymore". Man I almost laughed. It lead to a very long discussion and the owner was surfing VDH while I shopped. People just dont know.

Now I have to save up for a double tank rig like Luis's. Badass !!!!!

http://www.vintagedoublehose.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2853

I'm thinking of going the H valve rout for now. I can us the Ram and my Conself XIV with Titan Supreme. The reason for this is I dont like the Banjo. So until I get a Phoneix the H valve is a solid choice for using my SPG.

Can I get some recommendations On Which one to look for that will fit both Reg's nicely?

Last edited:
I don't think you will have luck there. I don't think there is any H or Y valve that will space the regulators apart enough to prevent interference. You could go to double aluminum 50s, use a Sherwood valve and swap the right post to the left side to allow REVERSE mounting the single hose.

There are two types of banjo fittings, some have better luck with original USD style, some don't. I have not had any issues with mine. NONE, absolutely none despite some pretty rugged diving, you just have to learn how to use them, they are a vintage piece and do not with with all modern valves.

N

I have an OMS H-valve and it will work if you use the add on section reversed just like with the old sherwood manifolds. The problem is that you will not be able to reach the valve to trun off one of the regs (Like you can with any double hose that is sitting between your shoulder blades).

So, you will need to get used to ditching and donning of the rig.

But with the reliability of a double hose reg, I have to think real hard to come up with a failure mode other then a ripped intake hose that would required changing from the Double to the back up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom