Royal AquaMaster and quasi DIR???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm thinking of going the H valve rout for now. I can us the Ram and my Conself XIV with Titan Supreme. The reason for this is I dont like the Banjo. So until I get a Phoneix the H valve is a solid choice for using my SPG.

Can I get some recommendations On Which one to look for that will fit both Reg's nicely?

I would be interested in seeing how it would be possible to arrange an H valve with a double hose and an alternate regulator (as Gilldiver is referring to). Such an arrangement would allow diving with something like a vintage single stage Mistral on a single tank and still be able to use a drysuit, octopus, BC, etc. The single stage regulator has no intermediate pressure for all those accessories.

If you have a long yoke on you Royal Aqua Master, I would not have any hesitation about using one of the banjo fittings as shown in the link below.
USD Chrome Banjo Fitting [Chrome Banjo] - $35.00 : Vintage Double Hose!, Your online source for all things related to vintage diving

Banjo fittings are kind of a nuisance since you now have extra loose pieces to put together when attaching your regulator (and when disassembling a wet regulator, possibly with salt water), but this type of banjo is very secure. They are a major nuisance when putting your gear together in a crowded rocking boat.

There is a different style of very thin banjo that is a bit more problematic and doesn’t fit all valves well, and you had to be extra careful installing it, but that is not the case with the standard banjo fitting. That other style of banjo is not being made anymore, but you may see one on eBay, etc.

I don’t use a banjo fitting anymore, but it is what I used (with all that plumbing for the LP air) before the Phoenix.

New Phoenix should be out fairly soon. IMHO, the simplest way to hold you over is just using a simple banjo. It is something that may always come in handy in the future when you decide to get a vintage Mistral or similar single stage double hose (and you decide to dive it with no BC, or dry suit, etc).

Since you are planning on only open water diving, I wouldn't use a hose on your secondary regulator any longer than a standard octopus hose (36 to 40 inches). You aren't going to be able to put together anything that's remotely DIR, because one of the centerpieces of DIR diving is to donate the primary (the regulator you are breathing) and that's not possible with a double-hose regulator.

You can certainly put together a rig using a BP/W and a double hose regulator, and put an octo on it. But don't spend a lot of time trying to make the setup as DIR as possible, because it won't be.

Since you are planning on only open water diving, I wouldn't use a hose on your secondary regulator any longer than a standard octopus hose (36 to 40 inches). You aren't going to be able to put together anything that's remotely DIR, because one of the centerpieces of DIR diving is to donate the primary (the regulator you are breathing) and that's not possible with a double-hose regulator.

You can certainly put together a rig using a BP/W and a double hose regulator, and put an octo on it. But don't spend a lot of time trying to make the setup as DIR as possible, because it won't be.

I am pretty sure Luis understands that. Having actually dove with Luis I can attest to the FACT there is not much Luis does not know about open circuit diving. Luis, like myself, enjoys experimentation rather than following institutionalized dogma. You buy your dive gear, Luis actually designs, engineers, programs it into CAD and then makes his own dive gear. The DIR world would be lucky to have him but, sorry, he is spoken for already, you cannot have him.

N

Actually, we're not talking "do it right"; instead, read "doublehose it right".

Nemrod, I nominate you as "most likely to black out and wake up in bed with Jablonski".

Nemrod, I nominate you as "most likely to black out and wake up in bed with Jablonski".

That is funny, you know, from 1970ish to about 78 I frequented the cave country of north and central Florida, especially 72 to 74. A number of people went in and did not come back out. While I am not DIR and was not then as it did not exist yet I do understand the methodology of the system. It grew from early cave diving and having been there in the early days I understand why it is what it is. Hard rock over your head can be disconcerting. I would dive a double hose in preference to any other regulator past or present for any sort of diving except cave diving. Not saying that it cannot be done, after all, the rigging could be arranged in similar fashion to rebreather equipped cave divers who are not donating their primary either and who do come from the DIR/GUE ilk. Dogma will always get you in trouble.

N, there were no dinosaurs, those were just Jesus ponies

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: Damn pesky that was a good one :D

For the Record I really screwed up when I added Dir to the topic.....Anyway I do feel they have some very valid points and ideas related to routing.

I do have a Banjo from VDH. But it doesn't seal at the Hose end. It keeps blowing the O-ring. It fit's fine on the long yoke. Although with the Rubber tire hand wheel it seems as though I'm not tightening it enough. In reality it probably is tight enough. It just seems like a failure prone area. I do however value Your opinions and expertise in these matters. S if you trust the Banjo Then so shall I.

I'm taking some classes In november and would really like to use my Ram. That's why Im so persistent in my pursuit. I have to use a Octo and BC for the class. Otherwise I would scrap all this crap and Dive vintage.

I suppose If I could find a Banjo that doesn't leak I would be ok. I tried VSS and they do not have any. Where else could I pick one up?

Such an arrangement would allow diving with something like a vintage single stage Mistral on a single tank and still be able to use a drysuit, octopus, BC, etc.

Mounting a pony out back could serve the accessories as long as it's sized to cover the alternate second stage's worst case bailout requirement. Of course it's not as economical as a banjo and plumbing sundries.

Pete

For the Record I really screwed up when I added Dir to the topic.....Anyway I do feel they have some very valid points and ideas related to routing.

I do have a Banjo from VDH. But it doesn't seal at the Hose end. It keeps blowing the O-ring. It fit's fine on the long yoke. Although with the Rubber tire hand wheel it seems as though I'm not tightening it enough. In reality it probably is tight enough. It just seems like a failure prone area. I do however value Your opinions and expertise in these matters. S if you trust the Banjo Then so shall I.

I'm taking some classes In november and would really like to use my Ram. That's why Im so persistent in my pursuit. I have to use a Octo and BC for the class. Otherwise I would scrap all this crap and Dive vintage.

I suppose If I could find a Banjo that doesn't leak I would be ok. I tried VSS and they do not have any. Where else could I pick one up?

It sounds like you have a defective banjo fitting. If you got it from Bryan, you should get in touch with him to get a new one.

If you are for any reason uncomfortable using the banjo, you probably should not use it while taking a class. IMO, it would add an unnecessary distraction.

If you have read my other post, I am taking some technical classes with some relatively new gear and new configurations, in a semi-vintage mixture. On the other hand, I have tested most of the gear and I am going into the class with a lot of background work.

You ought to start a thread at VDH with your dilemma. You may get some help from some of the members.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom