Rude Divers on the Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had an experience i'd like to share. It was on our trip to the red sea. On one occasion, the dive guide had a student on board with us. He wasn't rude or anything above water but underwater he would ram into us, hit us with his fins in the face or head, remove regulators u name it! During the whole dive I was trying to keep my distance from him but the problem was that he was also my buddy so i had to be close but not too close. Whenever he got excited over seeing something, he would lose all of his senses and hurriedly go to take a shot, pushing us all out of the way as if it was an emergency. It was so bad that nobody could relax on the dive and somebody even complained after the dive was over and the dive guide had to tell him in a nice way to take it easy and just to relax, no need to hurry so that everyone would get a chance, and also to keep his distance. He decided to take the advice the wrong way and ignored everyone for the rest of the day, but the good thing was that he kept his distance and was much calmer,, funny this was that he was around 5 meters away at all times! hahahahaahah

I had an experience i'd like to share. It was on our trip to the red sea. On one occasion, the dive guide had a student on board with us. He wasn't rude or anything above water but underwater he would ram into us, hit us with his fins in the face or head, remove regulators u name it! During the whole dive I was trying to keep my distance from him but the problem was that he was also my buddy so i had to be close but not too close. Whenever he got excited over seeing something, he would lose all of his senses and hurriedly go to take a shot, pushing us all out of the way as if it was an emergency. It was so bad that nobody could relax on the dive and somebody even complained after the dive was over and the dive guide had to tell him in a nice way to take it easy and just to relax, no need to hurry so that everyone would get a chance, and also to keep his distance. He decided to take the advice the wrong way and ignored everyone for the rest of the day, but the good thing was that he kept his distance and was much calmer,, funny this was that he was around 5 meters away at all times! hahahahaahah

I think I would have been saying to the boat staff that they find me another buddy. Either that or I would have had a serious think about sitting the next dive out - he can endanger himself if he wants but put me in danger and it is a different matter.

The poor kid.

I'll tell you what works for me: I'm only 5'10" but I lift weights, weight 200lbs, have a chest + arm tattoo, almost-shaved head and - despite being a VERY friendly and educated person - I don't look this way at first glance.

I'm very well-spoken and docile until people act like idiots towards me or my family. That's when I shrink "personal space" to 1/2 inch and get my point across. If that doesn't work, I put my hands on them and make them understand my point.

Underwater, I have never come across anyone who has tugged on my reg or pushed me. If that ever happens, I will do the same things they have done to me immediately, on the spot, under water.

I believe politeness and courtesy should be treated like jewelry: never offer them to pigs because pigs cannot recognize/respect their value.

However, 99.9% of the people I know, clam up and complain/cry/mop around about being victims of attacks without ever standing up for themselves. Every bully stops bullying others when they realize they are about to have their sh*t handed to them. Individuals who attempt to prey on others are predators, they do not care; they will not care until the moment they realize "they're in for a lot of trouble". Unfortunately, these predators act on animalistic instincts of dominance, rather than using social skills and being respectful.

Having said that: best wishes to all.

I'll tell you what works for me ...

fredleal,

Really? Does this approach really work for you? I ask, because I, for one, have never been impressed by this type of approach. An adult has learned to do things a bit differently. IJS.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Be reassured, from reading you, If you don't look this way, you do not sound this way either. :).

...says the person who has never tried to have a conversation with me. Most people judge by appearances. Most people are shallow. Most people are selfish.

Most of my friends say "the first time I saw you, I was intimidated." My looks may intimidate but as soon as people start interacting with me in a RESPECTFUL manner, they realize I'm a good guy.

It's only the 1% out there who needs to worry.

---------- Post added December 21st, 2015 at 06:27 PM ----------

fredleal,

Really? Does this approach really work for you? I ask, because I, for one, have never been impressed by this type of approach. An adult has learned to do things a bit differently. IJS.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

I'm not trying to impress anyone, buddy. I'm just making sure idiots don't push me around in any way shape or form.

Okay.jpg

best wishes, FRIEND!

lol

I can admit on my first couple of dives I accidently kicked a regulator our of someone's mouth. *that someone was my boyfriend*
It wasn't because I did it on purpose or that I was "unexperienced". I was just extremely nervous and COLD.

People do some stupid sh*t when they are nervous or anxious.

Be kind and understanding without ever assuming. I live my life by that every day because you never know someone else's story or history without asking from them yourself.
On the other hand I would recommend that those people also get their heads together and if they are rude and mean then they shouldn't be diving in a group setting.

Back
Top Bottom