Rude Divers on the Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can admit on my first couple of dives I accidently kicked a regulator our of someone's mouth. *that someone was my boyfriend*
It wasn't because I did it on purpose or that I was "unexperienced". I was just extremely nervous and COLD.

People do some stupid sh*t when they are nervous or anxious.

Be kind and understanding without ever assuming. I live my life by that every day because you never know someone else's story or history without asking from them yourself.
On the other hand I would recommend that those people also get their heads together and if they are rude and mean then they shouldn't be diving in a group setting.

I totally understand your point and I've had people hit me with fins on my face and head several times and a few times had my reg knocked out or pushed into my teeth (that REALLY hurts) but in all those cases I could tell the other people were inexperienced - the type of diver who flails their arms while diving. Therefore, I never said or did anything besides make the hand signs for them to "calm down".

I honestly believe that when people push others under water so they can take a picture or pull on regulator hoses they are endangering someone else's life and they need to feel (not only be told) that they are way out of line.

An accident is an accident. An intentional hit/push is not acceptable by any means.

Any instance where I have seen a reg or a mask kicked off was heavily contributed to by the person whose mask or reg was kicked - unless the diver in front is backing up, the kickee is following too closely. The kicker cannot see if someone moves into range of their feet.

Any instance where I have seen a reg or a mask kicked off was heavily contributed to by the person whose mask or reg was kicked - unless the diver in front is backing up, the kickee is following too closely. The kicker cannot see if someone moves into range of their feet.
Thanks g for putting that into words. Though I dive mostly solo now, and almost never in a crowd (except courses), I seriously always wondered how someone got their mask or reg. knocked out. Am not at all being sarcastic. Don't put your face too close to fins!--the "follower" in most cases should not be directly behind the leader (how does the leader see him?), but off to the side. I know there are exceptions.

Usually the people doing the kicking are out of control or so taxed by diving as to be unaware. Yes they should strive to be better, but if you are kicked being aware of the divers around you is something you could do. And it would be fair enough if sometimes you just don't want to deal with this. The simple fix is to dive with just you and a buddy or solo.

Thanks g for putting that into words. Though I dive mostly solo now, and almost never in a crowd (except courses), I seriously always wondered how someone got their mask or reg. knocked out. Am not at all being sarcastic. Don't put your face too close to fins!--the "follower" in most cases should not be directly behind the leader (how does the leader see him?), but off to the side. I know there are exceptions.

I have seen this happen most often in group drift dives including to myself. Generally low viz, trying to stay close together, so it does / can make it more challanging. Sometimes the diver in front will backfin to slow down or do something else to alter their speed. If you are too close to begin with and / or not paying attention, that is on you (or me lol).

Or they dive bomb you.

First night dive I ever did the same person came from above me diving down to make sure they got to see what the DM was pointing to. She did it 3 times.

1. Knocked the reg out of my mouth by catching my hose with her fin
2. Kicked my mask, knocking it sideways
3. A perfectly placed kick right on my chin, I saw stars.

Not one of them was intentional, all three times she was just in a bigger hurry to get there than I was. Yes, I was furious but I did not retaliate nor did I say anything to her. She did not make my Christmas Card list though.

I seriously always wondered how someone got their mask or reg. knocked out.

It happens around these parts with 5'-10' vis and OW students all nervous and kicking while trying to descend. Or following the trail and silting everything up ending up in front of eachother, and no one can see anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or they dive bomb you.

First night dive I ever did the same person came from above me diving down to make sure they got to see what the DM was pointing to. She did it 3 times.

1. Knocked the reg out of my mouth by catching my hose with her fin
2. Kicked my mask, knocking it sideways
3. A perfectly placed kick right on my chin, I saw stars.

Not one of them was intentional, all three times she was just in a bigger hurry to get there than I was. Yes, I was furious but I did not retaliate nor did I say anything to her. She did not make my Christmas Card list though.

that's exactly what happened to me every single time!!

someone just comes from above me, "divebombing" me and hitting me on the head and/or face.

I can see what you guys mean on conditions such as low viz and other situations described as to how masks and regs. could be kicked. I guess for some reason I was thinking of people on guided dives in gin clear water and somehow it still happens. I guess stuff can happen especially in low viz--though you'd think even then precautions and logic would prevent most of it. I was on a night dive many years ago at Vortex Spring and the buddy's light just disappeared in front of me. How does this happen? Was he not checking MY light to see that we were together?

Harbour clean up dive.....over 1m of silt on the bottom. It was fairly clean on descent, but imagine what pulling stuff out of that silt did to a viz?
Over 60 divers on small space, so I couldn't see my hand if stretched straight. After two hits ( luckily without consequences), I adopted elbow bent arm in front of my face. Couple more hits, but none to my face. I did get hith by someone dropping a sack full of bottles on my head,so medieval armour next
viking.gif
( imagine how much lead I could drop from my belt)?
As for someone being rude, I do look as hostile as Fred:blinking:, so no problems so far. A friend of mine did ruin viz on every dive we did together, due to buoyancy control (or lack of), but after polite suggestion of adding just a little bit more of air, with explanation why, ​he improved and no hurt feelings.

Back
Top Bottom