Rude Divers on the Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a Jersey guy, born and bred. Sarcasm and irony are part of our DNA. This is often lost on literal simple-minded provincials, so my usual strategy when I find myself on a boat with crude rustics is to keep my distance. Unless an instabuddy seems properly qualified, I refuse to enter into that kind of connection, invoking my God-given right to semi-solo dive, keeping a few meters removed from the writhing sloppy selfishly pushing head-kicking throng. I make it clear to everyone that I'm not watching over anyone and want no one in my immediate vicinity.

"Just pretend I'm from another boat, observing you all as part of an article I'm writing".
I'm not from New Jersey, but sometimes people (me included) think I am.
All I would need to do is nail down the accent and I'd be a dead ringer.

If on the boat in front of me there is a naked lady, I reserve the right to get an erection that I don't have to hide or be ashamed of. Maybe I'll pay more for such a trip if known in advance.

i love these stories...keep um coming..

I' need pics of naked lady on dive boat before I can make a decision on this...

Maybe you are too sensitive? I generally don't give a crap about what people think about me. And no, I'm not from NJ.

Stick it out and fully enjoy the company of the good eggs.
As for the bad eggs, make a point of writing down everything that happened with the rude and dumb and weird divers. We all LOVE to read about diving and the good books of stories are all too few. Publish your stories (with ebooks and self-publishing it's not hard these days), or write them here, or make a blog, or send them to some dive magazines. In the future you can enjoy the worst nighmare of a companion ever because you can think "boy oh boy, this wonderdink is going to make me some BIG money" (or at least a lot of "likes" and "LOL"s).

The first thing I would do is to ask myself "Is it possible that I misinterpreted this interaction?" Perhaps cultural differences?

As for the diver pushing you out of the way, perhaps it was a newbie diver that intended to swim up beside you and get a shot at the same time as you but underestimated the distance and their momentum? Not saying it happened this way, just trying to give the diver the benefit of the doubt (i.e. suggesting a scenario that would show the diver to be more stupid than rude lol).

The only "bad behavior" I've seen was from one "lady" on a charter on Lake Huron. She and her husband were both diving, but she paid far too much attention to any other healthy male with arms...because that's where she liked to blatantly rest her generous bosom. I was torn between several feelings:

1) Hey. Those feel nice on my arm.
2) Ummm...I don't know you and my wife would prefer that it stay that way.
3) We're here to dive. Please get out of my personal space and FOCUS.
4) Dude. I'm really sorry your wife is doing this.
5) Dude. You really need to be the one to say something, before I have to.
6) DUDE! GROW A PAIR!

I began to wonder if maybe this was something they were both into. But, the guy was visibly embarrassed by her actions. He just seemed completely unequipped for dealing with it. :idk:

It was a big enough boat that I just found someplace she wasn't, and if she came by where I was I found someplace else where she wasn't. She eventually figured it out and focused on another diver.

OP, you're from Canada? I thought you had to be nice to even be Canadian (referring here to the divers you met).

My boat dives are typically Gulf south, or Fla around Jupiter and WPB. Rudeness is usually igorance, approach it as a friend and you'll make a friend. If it doesn't work, it's their loss, not yours.

That said, I just don't see that much rudeness. In fact, in 200-plus dives (almost all on boats) I can't think of an incident to use for comparison. I like divers; I like dive boats. Most of my buddies are insta-buddies. They've almost all been surprisingly good, or if bad, it was a good learning occasion for me.

I'm not saying it's my own attitude. But it might be. Isn't attitude the difference between an ordeal, and an adventure? That's what I've heard, and experienced.

Anyway, no offense intended to OP, or anyone. I could just be a Pollyanna.

Most of my experience on day boats has been pleasant but over the years, there's been some less than pleasant encounters. On those days, I try to look inwardly and remind myself that my mood/attitude needs to be more relaxed and I need to stay away from those divers BUGGING me for whatever reason. Sometimes I'm successful with that. :wink:

That said, a recent liveaboard experience had some off the chart bad moments. It wasn't my attitude, though certainly checked myself. However when DM and other divers and boat crew initiate the conversations about THAT other diver or THOSE people then I know it's not me. Phew.

So in support of the OP, I say YES there are rude, inconsiderate, loud and obnoxious divers from time to time. More often than not, they either just know not what they do or behave the way they do because of some insecurity that escapes the obvious.

But let us try not to forget . . .the lyrics to the Frozen movie song "Let it go . . .let it go. . .let it go". (I thank my four year old niece for driving those lyrics deep into my brain) :crazyeye:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom