Rule of 6th's ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IANTD Technical Cave covers stages...

You had previously posted that IANTD Cave Diver and IANTD Technical Cave Diver CAN both cover stage diving. Do they still or did standards change allowing only the Technical Cave course to include staging??

This was the same type course I had through NAUI.

This equates to a INTRO level cave diver limited to non-decompression linear penetration on a single tank with no T's, jumps or restrictions. Some INTRO courses allow doubles, but you have to limit the air time to same as single (1/6ths interestingly enough).

There are two other levels of cave certification above that.

Read his follow up post. His training appears to be equivalent to cave, not intro.

dl348:
You had previously posted that IANTD Cave Diver and IANTD Technical Cave Diver CAN both cover stage diving. Do they still or did standards change allowing only the Technical Cave course to include staging??

Either I mistyped or you misunderstood. IANTD Cave Diver does not allow the option of stage diving. The only difference between the two courses is the IANTD Cave Diver student does not have any decompression training and the Technical Cave Diver student does. The Cave Diver course is not a prerequisite for the Technical Cave Diver course.

This was the same type course I had through NAUI.

This equates to a INTRO level cave diver limited to non-decompression linear penetration on a single tank with no T's, jumps or restrictions. Some INTRO courses allow doubles, but you have to limit the air time to same as single (1/6ths interestingly enough).

There are two other levels of cave certification above that.

Sorry I'm confused. Are you saying your course was the same as mine? I don't think it was.

Both my Cavern and Cave were using twins as they are required equipment. Cavern allowed 60m penetration from surface, max depth 40m. Cave is penetration to a third of my gas supply, taught jumps, Ts, etc., I can do deco as per other certifications I have (though deco is not taught in CDAA courses), same with if you have nitrox, trimix and CCR certs (you get endorsements to use these if you can provide evidence you have these certifications elsewhere). Max depth is 40m, can't go through restrictions where I can't fit me and my buddy together, no stages (well you can bring them not use them in your thirds calcs)...

The final level course, Advanced Cave, allows stages, DPV use, unlimited penetration distance, passages too small for two people and more CDAA controlled sites to dive.

Anyway, I would not go into an overhead environment without redundant gas supply or do a course that taught it that way... I was surprised to learn a while back that some cavern courses allow single tanks to be honest.

Both my Cavern and Cave were using twins as they are required equipment. Cavern allowed 60m penetration from surface, max depth 40m. Cave is penetration to a third of my gas supply, taught jumps, Ts, etc., I can do deco as per other certifications I have (though deco is not taught in CDAA courses), same with if you have nitrox, trimix and CCR certs (you get endorsements to use these if you can provide evidence you have these certifications elsewhere). Max depth is 40m, can't go through restrictions where I can't fit me and my buddy together, no stages (well you can bring them not use them in your thirds calcs)...

The final level course, Advanced Cave, allows stages, DPV use, unlimited penetration distance, passages too small for two people and more CDAA controlled sites to dive.

You'll be fine in FL as "full cave" equivelant. The only area where you might want to ask specific questions is on restrictions. CDAA has a pretty conservative definition and depending on the dive you might find places where fitting 2 divers through together is marginal or it could just be a "doorway". Just study the maps and discuss your planned dive with the locals to decide if the little "r" on the map is something you need to be concerned about or something you'd barely notice.

You'll be fine in FL as "full cave" equivelant. The only area where you might want to ask specific questions is on restrictions. CDAA has a pretty conservative definition and depending on the dive you might find places where fitting 2 divers through together is marginal or it could just be a "doorway". Just study the maps and discuss your planned dive with the locals to decide if the little "r" on the map is something you need to be concerned about or something you'd barely notice.

Ok cheers, something to keep in mind. I imagine it will be more difficult diving in Florida than here, given there's flow to worry about and just a different environment, so I'll be wanting to take it easy :)

Read his follow up post. His training appears to be equivalent to cave, not intro.

Either I mistyped or you misunderstood. IANTD Cave Diver does not allow the option of stage diving. The only difference between the two courses is the IANTD Cave Diver student does not have any decompression training and the Technical Cave Diver student does. The Cave Diver course is not a prerequisite for the Technical Cave Diver course.

Rob,
I was just reading what you posted on the Cave Diver's Forum...it was a thread named Cave Diver Training Length.

On post #86 you wrote..."Actually, stage diving is allowed whether it's Technical Cave or Cave. The standards don't specify either one."

Now, did the standards change since you wrote that post (which was in 5/2010) or is it still allowed??

Rob,
I was just reading what you posted on the Cave Diver's Forum...it was a thread named Cave Diver Training Length.

On post #86 you wrote..."Actually, stage diving is allowed whether it's Technical Cave or Cave. The standards don't specify either one."

Now, did the standards change since you wrote that post (which was in 5/2010) or is it still allowed??

IANTD standards change a couple times a year, seriously. I'll have to check my manual when I get home and see what the latest standards state. But now that you bring that up, I may have been thinking about a previous set of standards in this thread!

Beyond Intro, and in some cases Cavern, you do not have to worry about sixths.

1/6th can work with scooters. 1/6th to scooter in, 5/6ths to swim out.

1/6th can work with scooters. 1/6th to scooter in, 5/6ths to swim out.

That depends on the dive. I wouldn't consider 5/6s enough for some dives. I can easily scooter to the back of Jackson Blue on less than 1/6 or 40cf. Swimming out from there would take me about 150cf, leaving me about 60cf for other issues. Not really enough in my opinion. But that's why I won't scooter it without a stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom