Rules of the Road

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rule #19 is the first and only Rule in Section III of Part B. It applies anytime vessels are not insight of one another because of restricted visibility. Many believe that this rule applies anytime visibility is restricted, however, this is not the case. If, when operating in restricted visibility, the other vessel can be seen visually, this Rule does not apply. If another vessel is detected by radar or hearing alone, Rule #19 must be followed. However, the moment that the other vessel breaks out of the fog bank and is sighted the other Steering and Sailing Rules come into effect.

This Rule applies to vessels "navigating in or near an area of restricted visibility." This means that if you are in an area of good visibility but can see a fog bank, rainstorm, or other area of restricted visibility, you are required to follow the provisions of this Rule. Remember, there may be a vessel in a fog bank not aware of your presence.

The Rule also addresses the subject of safe speed, which is to be "adapted to the prevailing circumstances and conditions of restricted visibility." This speed requirement is coupled with the requirement that a "power-driven vessel" shall have her engines ready for immediate maneuver." This requirement should be considered to apply to any vessel fitted with an engine, including fishing vessels, vessels restricted in ability to maneuver, and vessels not under command. Remember, Rule #18 does not apply in restricted visibility, so hampered vessels get no special privileges.

Any action taken to avoid collision in restricted visibility should, when possible, be taken earlier and result in a greater passing distance than would be necessary when in sight. Any course change taken should be large enough to be readily apparent on radar as described in Rule #8.

Rule #20 is the first Rule of Part C (Rules 20-31). A thorough understanding of the lights and shapes is vital because they communicate the size, type, and direction of travel of vessels, all details we must know in order to apply the Steering and Sailing Rules in Part B.

This Rule seems fairly clear. First of all Rules 20-31 must be complied with in all weathers; in other words, all the time. The lights required in Part C must be exhibited at night or anytime when the visibility is restricted. Many vessels leave their lights on anytime they are underway: day or night, clear or foul. That is a practice that is hard to fault. Other lights may be on as well, as long as the can't be mistaken for the required lights, do not block or overpower the required lights, or interfere with the keeping of a proper lookout.

Required day shapes must be displayed during the day even when visibility is restricted.

Come on guys I don't care if you have titles and a scrambled egg on your hat common sense has to prevail on the water. If your piloting a power boat in a confined area where inland rules apply or anywhere else for that matter and you encounter a sail boat (dingy, maxi sled or whatever) with a sail up please stay the hell away from it. Makes no difference whether it has exhaust discharge or not just give him room. Two sailboats trying to occupy the same spot at the same time usualy work it out especially if it's a starting sequence or mark rounding. I'm not sure if it's the wind or the big giant stick in the middle of the boat but sailors seem to operate with a sense of entitlement that can be disasterous even more so when mixed with inability and rum. These are just my observations and my opinion, I'm not going to state my credentials, my blue water miles, or my blood alcohol level but I assure you all of them are vast.

What you think is sensible and another boater think is sensible may not be the same...

The COLREGS is an acronym for Collision Regulations. So the sole purpose of the Rules of the Road is to establish a set of rules which were created to prevent two vessels from ever unintentionally touching (colliding).

On another note... Sailors do not have a big stick in the middle of their boat which will determine who has the right of way... So here are the rules at they pertain to two sailboats meeting and a risk of collision may exist...

Rule 12 – Sailing Vessels

A. When two sailing vessels are approaching one another, so as to involve risk of collision, one of them shall keep out of the way of the other as follows:

• When each has the wind on a different side, the vessel which has the wind on the port side shall keep out of the way of the other. In sailing terms this means that the sailing vessel on a starboard tack has the right of way.
  • When both have the wind on the same side, the vessel which is to windward shall keep out of the way of the vessel which is leeward. (The windward vessel is the one which is sailing closest to the wind.)
  • If a vessel with the wind on the port side sees a vessel to windward and cannot determine with certainty whether the other vessel has the wind on the port or starboard side, she shall keep out of the way of the other.
  • For the purpose of this Rule, windward side shall be deemed to be the side opposite to that on which the mainsail is carried.

I always ran with two Rules of the Road:

1. Don't hit anything.
2. Don't get hit by anything.

This always has seemed to work when I was in the Navy steaming independently or as part of a carrier Battle Group. driving ships as a captain when I got out, or just driving my own sled as a member of the 1st CivDiv with absolutely no desire to deal with that USCG MSO licensing crap.

One exception was during World War III aka The Cold War. Them Commies got too close to the carrier when she was commencing flight ops, it was time to clear the decks. Then we'd get to slam beam-to-beam the offending Godless Soviet miscreant as a friendly warning to back off.

They always took the hint, along with their ruined deck rails, so I never got a chance to swap ballcaps on he second go-around.

There's all sorts of Rules to cover everything, but it all boils down to my two above.

There's also Rule #3 which is not to piss me off on my own boat, but that just occludes the other 2 major babies, so I shut my pie hole on that one. Besides, no one obeys it anyway.

Good luck to you sir, up there in Princeton where Woodrow Wilson held once court and Jon Corzine almost bought the farm.

I run by similar rules when I am teaching boat handling and electronic navigational skills... However I combine your number one and two rule into just one... I call it the just miss rule... As long as my students do not hit anyone or get hit by anything I count that as a good day out on the water.

As a side not I spent 3.5 years serving on board the Aircraft Carrier Midway CV-41... I remember the Russian Bears flying overhead and our F4's flying under the bomb bay doors to protect the carrier from a possible attack...

I always ran with two Rules of the Road:
1. Don't hit anything.
2. Don't get hit by anything.
Nice. And succinct. Are you familiar with a small book by Roger C. Taylor titled The Elements of Seamanship? Chapter headings include "Keeping Her from Hitting Anything" and "Keeping Your Reputation." I highly recommend it. Got it in the 80s, don't know whether it's still in print.

My personal rule #3, Pleasure gives way to Work, was given to me by one of my sailing mentors. His point was, if you're on the water for the fun of it, it's only polite to avoid make those who are working for a living (fishermen, ferries, tour boats) alter course unnecessarily. Even when you could be the stand-on vessel under the rules.

Speaking of hitting anything, check out this 2009 thread, which has a stellar video example of failure to avoid a collision.

-Bryan

Great thread Capt! Thank you for the effort in putting it togather.

My S.O. and I are planning a 2-4 yr cruise around the Carib in a couple of years on a sailboat and this thread is a good refresher on the rules.

Captain Bob,

Good stuff! Keep it coming!

on a side note, You run a great captains course!

See you topside! John

I have a dream to cpatain a dive boat for disabled divers and your posts keep me focused on the responsibilities I wish to accept.
Thank you for your time and effort.

Back
Top Bottom