Run 400v compressor of 230v

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UV

Registered
Reaction score
Hi.
We have a 400V 50hz 3-phase compressor (2.2KW).

Can this be run of a 230v supply with the use of an inverter drive?

As I understand the inverter drive will maintain the voltage and frequency ratio; so a "400v 50hz" motor will run fine at "230v 29hz", but with somewhat less rpms.

Do you have a picture of the nameplate on the motor? You may be able to re-wire it to the required voltage and change out the motor starter contactor.

It's a Bauer Poseidon PE-100 (TE) I don't have access to the compressor right now, but I can get a picture of the plate if you need something more than the name and model.

He needs the motor nameplate data, not the compressor data. Also, the wiring diagram (many motors have this rivetted on the motor).

We have option for both single and 3-phase 230V. I will get the electromotor nameplate data.

I am reasonably sure that you can find an inverter drive (Variable Frequency Drive) that can convert whatever power you have available to whatever is required. You will have to be a little more specific about the voltage, frequency and whether it is single or three phase power that is available and the power that is required, but for 2.2 KW (3HP) it should not be too unreasonable in price. You might also look at a new motor, it may be about the same price.

Edited to add: By the way, where are you that your supply voltage is 230v 29hz? We really do need the nameplate data from the motor. A photo will do.

UV:
We have option for both single and 3-phase 230V. I will get the electromotor nameplate data.

This is somewhat complicated, but your best bet is going to be to look at the motor itself. MOST of those motors can be rewired for lower voltage and are designed to do it. Not all, but most of them. You do not want to run a 400v motor on the lower voltage VFD. Keep your fingers crossed about the motor being multi-voltage compatible.

That said, a 3hp 230v 3p motor is not expensive and will likely be the easiest option if the motor is not multi-voltage capable

Good for 230v use. This picture was sent to me so I haven't opened the connection panel to look at the wiring. Will re-wiring be enough to work off 3-phase 230v, no need to change contactor?

20190205-220445.jpg

Edit : changed to fullsize picture for better resolution

Attachments

• 20190205-220445.jpg
    20190205-220445.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 161
the picture wasn't clear enough to zoom in. You may need to put a new contactor in as the amp draw will be almost double what it was on 400v. If the contactor is rated for the amp draw at 230v then you won't have to swap it. It may well be. Should pull somewhere around 8a at 230v vs. 5a at 400v. Contactor is likely big enough

Back
Top Bottom