Help with Nuvair Compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scu8a1

New
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
HI all, i recently picked up a nuvair compressor that i believe is a MCH 13 with a 4hp 3 phase motor.
I had it shipped over from Australia with a lot of other equipment so only seen pictures and have taken the sellers word that its in good shape.
Up on arrival it looks to be in great shape with only missing the fan wheel guarding, but after wiring in the motor and checking the oil it runs fine up till just before cut out, which it then has a small amount of smoke pushing past the oil filler cap, any simple ideas to check or have i bought a dud............

thanks in advance for your wisdom.

I don't really understand why there's smoke from the oil filter since MCH-13 does not have an oil filter, and it's a splash lube system. If you're talking about the final filter, it could be normal if it's a mist. Is it still running? Does the pressure build-up? Any weird noise or sound? The temperature of the cylinder head (Overheated?)Any sound of hissing or gas leaking?

Update found out that it’s a 04 mch16 nuvair. Drained the oil which was 2.4liters far too much , my understanding it should be 1.8liters. The oil piping has glazed over and the old oil was looked brown.
so new oil in, small run with drains open all good closed drains got to 120 bar then small smoke out of the oil filler (not filter). at a loss and needing help as on an island with no supplies and used the last of the oil in the change.
also trying to workout the extra cylinder to the side and under the 2nd stage as it seams to be a for of silencer.
again any help appreciated
B505DF7E-D9AE-46F0-9E01-68ED70BD5664.jpeg
1C48D1DF-F2F8-447A-9BBB-47A41C2D26F2.jpeg
8E499A86-4A47-421C-8487-7D48D5566B3A.jpeg

Hi
Sounds to me that you have worn piston rings.
Easy part to change out is the final stage .
This is suspect worn part as your blow by starts at 120bar
As for the small black housing
Its MDE unit Midland diving from england UK
Not sure if its series 40 or 50
40 dimensions 282mm X 76mm
50 391 108

Agree with worn pistons in the 3rd stage piston/sleeve assembly, that can cause the blow-by from the oil fill cap (also serves as the crankcase vent). The replacement part number should be 13-03-0122/R, its used across several models.

N
Hi
Sounds to me that you have worn piston rings.
Easy part to change out is the final stage .
This is suspect worn part as your blow by starts at 120bar
As for the small black housing
Its MDE unit Midland diving from england UK
Not sure if its series 40 or 50
40 dimensions 282mm X 76mm
50 391 108
Nice one thanks . That was the line I was thinking on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom