Rusty Tanks - Dangers? HELP!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaScubaScubaYAY

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am currently working for a dive shop and we primarilly use 10 litre steel tanks. Today I noticed that one was bleeding and one of the other instructors helped me empty it and take the valve out (we had noticed that the o-ring was bad and sticking out). When we opened the tank, the valve and dip tube were covered in rust. We decided to look inside the tank and there was so much rust it almost made me sick. We looked at the rest of the 10 litres and most of them have rust around the valve so we emptied and opened another one. This second one wasn't nearly as bad as the first, but it was still rusted right on the bottom. Our boss has a tendancy to cut corners and he does the vip himself so he just approved all of these tanks. I am concerned about the health risks of breathing in iron oxide. What side effect might I see in people if they have been affected by the rust? How can I convince my boss to clean the tanks properly? And if he wont clean the tanks, is there a place I can report him to that will come and do their own health inspection? I don't dislike my boss, but I'm not willing to put other people's lives and health at risk just because he is too lazy to clean and inspect the tanks properly. Please help. I could use some good info and arguments so I can convince him.

The biggest concern I would have is water under pressure would rush to rust, and possibly cylinder failure. Since it sounds like you are filling tanks, I would be careful. You should also check the hydro dates.

Rust like that can form in remarkably little time. I once saw what you describe in a tank I VIP'd only months after its hydro. A little water can create problems very quickly. I would tell the owner what you found and see how he reacts. I am sure he does not want a cylinder failure in his shop.

Your main concern should be your compressor.
Sounds like the water separator is defective.
Don't think a little ironoxide will kill you or anyone else.Regs have filters aswell.
But a rusty(exploding) tank can and will.

Tell him if he doesn't get this taken care of you'll post the shop name here.:shocked2: That oughta do it. I see you are in Ohio. I dive Ohio from time to time. Usually bring my own tanks but if I ever rented one from a shop and found that you can bet I would confront the owner, take pics of the tanks and post em here and on my facebook page.

I really think this is NOT the time for confrontation. I would just say, "Hey, can you take a look at this? We just found some rust in the tanks." Give him a chance to do the right thing. As I said earlier, this can happen very fast if water is introduced into the tank. They might have been just fine when he VIP'd them.

If it was just flash rust, you might be right.
Just reread the OP.
Sounds like a more serious problem then just flash

If it was just flash rust, you might be right.
Just reread the OP.
Sounds like a more serious problem then just flash
You might be right. As I said earlier, I had a case like this a few months after a new hydro. I opened the tank and the entire insides were coated loose rust. It was far beyond flash rust.

I remember in times gone past when the wives would sit in the sacred circle
drinking coffee, discussing the ills of their complicated world devising plans

When the husbands found out, all that was required was to cleanse the bowl

All in all the houses in all the streets was well, and once again love returned

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom