RX-100 vs G1X dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally I'd do it in this order:

1. Get the camera.
2. Invest in the housing: Good housings allow easy and total control of camera functions.
3. Learn how to use it: There's a steep learning curve ahead.

...then...

4. Add a strobe/lens etc. as you grow with the camera.

Buy at least a Sea and Sea YS-01 the strobes you mention are toys

I just don't have that budget. Its around 400+ bucks.
If the other ones are utter... seaturds, I'll just have to go without a flash at all, and maybe buy one in 1-2years (when the next diving trip comes up).
I'm just trying to use the money I have the best way possible.

@supergaijin

That's the thing. In Oct its diving time. I don't get to do it too often, but we're going for 2 weeks with 3/4 dives a day. So its then or never hehe... Unfortunately, I don't get to dive regularly. The past two years I had a borrowed S95 (with no external flash) and some results were really good. This time around I decided to go with my own cam.

So far its going to be the G15 + Fantasea housing.

Now I have around 300 left for either falsh+arm+mount etc... or nothing at all, if it's not worth buying a set at that price.

You said you have 1500 you can get the G15 + Fantasea housing + YS-01 and locline arms and tray for that money
The G15 as a camera without an external strobe is only good for close up as the field of view is not wide

Yeah you are right... I said that. But I think I was trying to make some money appear by writing this hehe...

I'll probably just stick to no flash... like when I had the S95 and no other options:

071  Perhentian Islands 2012.jpg

If the G15 can do that, I'll be happy!

Yeah you are right... I said that. But I think I was trying to make some money appear by writing this hehe...

I'll probably just stick to no flash... like when I had the S95 and no other options:

View attachment 159941

If the G15 can do that, I'll be happy!

If you really only get out once a year maybe you should save the money for another dive trip and google pictures of clown fish etc when you get home.

If you really only get out once a year maybe you should save the money for another dive trip and google pictures of clown fish etc when you get home.

It was kinda cool to catch this one, since it was about as big as half a fingernail. I took the S95 with me in Lembongan, Mabul, Sipadan...but you know what? Even a clown fish is not "beneath" me. Noticing this one excited me as much as shark No 400 in Sipadan, or the zombie army (Bumphead Parrot Fish) in the morning. And since we were talking about macro, I had the audacity to post - yes, a common fish species, that was very tiny.

Sorry if my budget/choices offended you somehow... I came here for advice, and got advice. RX100 and G1X are out, G15 is in. Sometimes, its not just about being "the pro" but just having fun... Not being able to come back with pictures in a quality that people like you can get, is not killing my holiday memories at all. It's fun to dive and so is photography. Even on a low level.

Personally I'd do it in this order:

1. Get the camera.
2. Invest in the housing: Good housings allow easy and total control of camera functions.
not true
1. be sure the housing exists for the camera you choose, and will continue to exist in some months
2. get the camera

so, you will avoid the question : i have a perfect camera, but i don't find a housing :D

A lot depends on what you think Macro means. To me it means shooting more or less 1:1 i.e. a small subject (24 mm across say) fills the frame. AFAIK the canon housing is fine but at 30+ meters you will need a good strobe. The best bet at that budget is to get something a bit used but still in good shape.
Bill

Just go with the G15 and the fantasea housing for now and enjoy getting used to the camera.
For things like strobes and lenses you really want to spend as much as you possibly can because chances are they will out last your camera and housing. Camera's are continually getting better and better every year, but the upward progression of strobes & lenses in not nearly as quick. So save up and get a good strobe for your next dive trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom