Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M_Heyns

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an RX100 Mk1 and Nauticam housing for it. I'd like to get some Macro lenses and trying to figure out best options. So far I've narrowed down my plan to a dedicated +5-7 diopter lens and a more powerful +10-13 diopter lens, rather than stacking lower power lenses, because that seems to be a better approach. Given that, what lenses should I get?

SAGA +5 and +10?

Nauticam CMC-2 and CMC-1?

Bluewater +7 and Kraken +12?

SubSea +5 and +10?

I have a Kraken wide angle lens (KRL-4) which I like (for the price), but I ultimately want to get whichever lens will be the best value for money. Ideally don't want to go too expensive on this (the Nauticam solution for example), unless I'm given solid reasons to do so.

Thanks!

I have a saga macro lens on my rx100 m5.I really love my set up. How do you like the KLR-4 how do you think it compares to the nauticam wide angle

You pondered good reasons to go with Nauticam housing, given cost. My best reasons are durability and access to absolutely every camera control.

I have a saga macro lens on my rx100 m5.I really love my set up. How do you like the KLR-4 how do you think it compares to the nauticam wide angle
Ah ok. I ended up ordering the Nauticam CMC-2 macro lens instead of a SAGA. Will post on how I find it. The KRL-04 is pretty good! No complaints so far! The only interesting piece is that Kraken apparently decided to discontinue manufacturing it because it was optimized for a 28mm focal length and most cameras now (Like later generation RX100s) are 24mm. They changed the optics slightly and rebranded it to be the KRL-02 now, which has a 24mm focal length instead. I'm happy I got the KRL-04 before they changed over.

I have an RX100 Mk1 and Nauticam housing for it. I'd like to get some Macro lenses and trying to figure out best options. So far I've narrowed down my plan to a dedicated +5-7 diopter lens and a more powerful +10-13 diopter lens, rather than stacking lower power lenses, because that seems to be a better approach. Given that, what lenses should I get?

SAGA +5 and +10?

Nauticam CMC-2 and CMC-1?

Bluewater +7 and Kraken +12?

SubSea +5 and +10?

I have a Kraken wide angle lens (KRL-4) which I like (for the price), but I ultimately want to get whichever lens will be the best value for money. Ideally don't want to go too expensive on this (the Nauticam solution for example), unless I'm given solid reasons to do so.

Thanks!

I would go with Saga +5 and +15 or +20. That's what I have now. Subsea are good too but bulky. The +10 is kind of a weird in-between lens that on an RX100 isn't of much benefit. It isn't strong enough for small stuff and too strong and too short working distance for medium size or skittish critters.

+5 range is good for "big" macro like mantis shrimp, small octopus, etc.. You can take a portrait of something up to 20cm big from about 20cm away and not scare them off. Stronger diopters force you to come too close.

The Nauticam lenses are overpriced and are too strong for any kind of fish/octopus portrait type work. I think they are +10 and +15 diopters, so as mentioned above, they're in a range that's neither here nor there. I've used an Inon UCL-100 for a long time and that's the problem I ran into with it.

Also, if you like macro, avoid RX100 Models 3+ like a plague. They have less zoom on the long end, which takes away significantly from their ability to fully utilize full power of the diopters.

You pondered good reasons to go with Nauticam housing, given cost. My best reasons are durability and access to absolutely every camera control.

I've used $150 Meikon housings on 300+ dives. If you know your camera well and pre-plan your shots and program settings, you don't really need the back dial access 99.9% of the time. The rest of the times you can just access the settings menu and switch the front ring dial between Aperture and Shutter speed within 2 clicks. That is the ONLY extra control Nauticam has vs. Meikon.

I'll take the $900 I save and spend it on lenses and lighting instead, thank you very much!

The Nauticam lenses are overpriced and are too strong for any kind of fish/octopus portrait type work. I think they are +10 and +15 diopters, so as mentioned above, they're in a range that's neither here nor there. I've used an Inon UCL-100 for a long time and that's the problem I ran into with it.

Also, if you like macro, avoid RX100 Models 3+ like a plague. They have less zoom on the long end, which takes away significantly from their ability to fully utilize full power of the diopters.

I have a Sony a6500, Nauticam housing and use the CMC-2 with the 16-50mm kit lens. For macro, I thought it did a great job, at least in my "macro learning phase." Because I'm still learning macro, any "bad" photos are the photographer's fault. The two images below are raw from the camera with only some cropping done. In any case, I like the setup and look forward to working with it more.
LRG_DSC02275.JPG
IMG_1099.jpg

I have the Nauticam CMC-1 on my RX100IV. Here are some sample photos...They were pulled from my IG account so resolution is not the best but it gives you a good idea. It's an excellent lens for me and I'm very happy with it.

25008640_139506416751499_1889840843519426560_n.jpg

24124888_141416039958431_7997754340997595136_n.jpg

23594821_180584152523899_6868287588369694720_n.jpg
23279882_547549775592720_2781200738175418368_n.jpg
23161832_140264620030928_1315033425991696384_n.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom