S-95 Addiction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dirtfarmer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I think I may have an unhealthy addiction to the S-95. I flooded my second one and then I went and bought 2 more used.
Do you think I have an unhealthy addiction?

No, but you may want to re-evaluate your housing choice or o-ring maintenance processes!

The first flood was definitely my fault, a bit of that Tulamben fine black sand falling out of the hinge into the o-ring, I now clean and check religiously. The second
flood the latch came undone. Could have been a stupid maneuver on my part which I seriously doubt, or more likely another diver that wasn't to happy with some of the photographers.
Could be the other divers same problem on the dive prior was a coincidence. My suspicions were raised when the camera hater spent a lot of time at the camera table prior to my latch incident.
Needless to say I will religiously check the hinge also.

We are still going strong with our s95/fix housing combo. Had one flood but that was user error, but lucky enough to have a backup in the bag as they are so cheap now.

Had thought about upgrading the camera and housing but opted to put the money towards a 2nd z240 and dive holiday, much better outcome in quality and number of underwater photos.

Ive vey come to the conclusion that the latest and greatest is not always the best approach to uw photography but time in water and knowing how to use your gear is.

enjoy your addiction

I looooooove my S95 and I have a back-up as well just in case that I purchased used. I had a flood a long time ago (when the camera was only 5 months old), but that was from keeping it in a communal rinse bucket on a dive boat. I now and forever always keep my camera stored in it's own cooler (personal rinse bucket) and have had no further issues.

My back-up is primarily used for on land photo snaps (whale, sea lion/otter, seal sightings), or to swap out really fast on the boat (fresh SD card and battery mainly) if I take too many pics on the first two dives and need a fresh battery for a 3rd - the worst thing about these cameras is the batteries really don't last very long. That's my only complaint though and it's not a big one that I have come up with a good solution for.

Happy shooting everyone!!! :D

May I ask you a question about the s95? I'm shopping for a new camera, that's why.

How are the videos made with this camera?

Thank you for your input!

I think I may have an unhealthy addiction to the S-95. I flooded my second one and then I went and bought 2 more used.
Do you think I have an unhealthy addiction?

I recently dropped my first S90 and damaged it and it quit working. I have hardly used spare, I often use it for topside shots. But, I was so upset I jumped on the net and found a NIB S90. And, undaunted, I also disassembled my dropped S90 and repaired it and it now works again. So I have three fully functional S90s and I sent my housing in for refurbishing so I should be in high cotton or S90 heaven for years to come.

I would buy something new but there is nothing that can match it for lens versatility in a tiny camera and photo rig that is enough better to warrant starting over. Yes, there are better choices for starting new, the Sony RX camera are the new King of the Hill for compacts. I want a bigger jump in performance and dynamic range and shutter/autofocus speed and wet lens applicability before I jump ship on my faithful S90. I do not shoot video, still only and my video work is handled by my new GoPro and it suits me 100%. I am no pro, that gives me permission to just have fun.

N

Video is not up to the latest standards. The S95 has a CCD sensor and the videos can have a slightly noisy/pixelated look. Understand that when that camera was released, 1280X720p was far greater than 640X480p.

Unfortunately I sold my S95 and FIX housing a few months ago. Now I have a trip to Bali in November. I am going to house my RX100 but I may pick up a Canon S110 as a backup.

Video is not up to the latest standards. The S95 has a CCD sensor and the videos can have a slightly noisy/pixelated look. Understand that when that camera was released, 1280X720p was far greater than 640X480p.

Unfortunately I sold my S95 and FIX housing a few months ago. Now I have a trip to Bali in November. I am going to house my RX100 but I may pick up a Canon S110 as a backup.

He or she may not shoot video with their cameras, I do not. Who has time to look at all that video? I shot a bunch in the Caymans a few weeks back and have not even looked at but a few videos yet, maybe never. But I have gone through all of my stills and looked at them over and over. You are right, the S90/95/100 are not up to the latest standards in any regard but they are still good cameras and the S90 has a cult following, the used prices are kind of high on them. I hate to say what the NIB one I just bought was.

But I do like my GoPro. I used to have a Sony housed 8MM. I then had an Aqua Video SVHS. Before those I housed a Super 8 film camera and I built the housing. I have tapes and films stuck around in drawers and boxes I have never even looked at. Not everyone is into video but for those who are I will try and sit and watch your videos, maybe, for about 10 seconds, uh, maybe about 5 seconds, okay, not at all. But I will look at your photos :wink:.

Oh, and have a great and successful trip!

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom