S Drill Etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Considering what gets dumped in the ocean these days, ... (Grateful Diver)

On a recent liveaboard, I was hanging on the line below the ladder doing a safety stop, when I noticed all of this large particulate in the water, then I started to put the pieces together ...

... hmmm, crew is aboard, probably doing their domestic-type duties while guests are below, heads all have macerators ...

... bummer :depressed:

It's funny that I see this topic now as I was describing yesterday to my partner about some skills I had been practicing for a course during the day. The skills involved doing a bunch of things whilst buddy breathing, and I was practicing with two buddies. My partner goes 'wait does that mean you are sharing the one mouth piece???' and got a bit freaked out about it and said I better not bring home any germs! But basically I don't really dive with people I wouldn't be happy sharing a reg with. I do S-drills fairly often and I do modified S drills before nearly every dive.

There's only one time I wouldn't have been happy sharing a reg with a diver, and that was when I was buddied up with a guy who had a mouthful of cold sores. I've never had one and have a bit of a phobia about them. I was too polite to say anything and was thinking 'oh I REALLY hope I don't run out of air and grab his primary or something!' Actually he ended up running out of air on this dive, I gave him my octopus (I was not using primary donate in those days) and I soaked that thing in antiseptic for hours and hours after. :shocked2:

So to those of you doing frequent S drills how do you handle a situation where you simply don't want the primary that just came out of someone's mouth?

I just don't think about it. If I thought about it.... YUCK!

Enough people have weird diseases like hepatitis that I am not going to put their regulator in my mouth unless there is no alternative, germaphobic, whatever. I practice buddy breathing etc with my wife, perhaps a small number of friends who I know where they put their parts, beyond that, no thanks. N

I suppose you could always keep a few sanitary wipes in your pocket for emergencies.

Frankly, I'd suck a fart out of a donkey's ass if that's what it took to make it to the surface alive ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Classic Bob! :D I can just see the predive brief, everybody got a buddy?........ HeeHaw! :wink:

Classic Bob! :D I can just see the predive brief, everybody got a buddy?........ HeeHaw! :wink:

Or, as they say here in West Virginia...

"You got a really pretty mouth."

Or, as they say here in West Virginia...

"You got a really pretty mouth."

It seems like that is where Bob might be a tad confused:confused:
Donkey.jpg

Last edited:
Greetings SB faithful and first of all interesting thread Spectrum. It has generated some awesome quotes and definitely made me think the etiquette thing through.
Bottom line Bob Grateful diver wins the day! Funniest response I have read in many days! I laughed so hard! This and many others have made my day so much better!
My opinion is pretty simple I would donate if need be, and accept if need be.
When I am assisting training or doing guided tours in which I am usually carrying a pony to donate as well. In a few of the training classes I have assisted with this has come up before. Some students felt the need to use mouth wash post dive but no one has gotten sick yet to my knowledge.
I feel safer doing air share drills in the water than when demonstrating on the dock or pool side. But it is with only one or two others who I know very well. No worries.
Great thread and awesome quote that I am sure will be seen many times in the near future!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

Last edited:
The likelihood of transmitting hepatitis (which is essentially not carried in saliva) or AIDS (which is not carried in saliva) by sharing a regulator is lower than your likelihood of getting killed in an auto accident on the way to the dive site. The likelihood of picking up a respiratory virus (which IS carried in mucus) is somewhat higher, although again, as the reg is passed from one person to another, it's being rinsed to some extent. I would not be happy sharing a regulator with someone with cold sores, though. That's a fairly easily transmitted virus which is present in significant quantities in tissue that is in contact with the regulator, and the biggest problem is that it's a persistent virus that you may never completely clear.

If I had a cold sore (which I luckily have never had) I would politely decline to participate in training activities that involve sharing a reg until the lesions were healed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom