"S" Drills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Go champion a real cause.

How about getting people to fill out their profiles so one can get an idea if they are full of crap or they may actually know what they are talking about?

Don't listen to Rainer, he's full of BS. :D

The loss is really to the DIR philosophy and way. As DIR divers maybe you could self police or moderate yourselves?

I don't see it at a loss. I see it as filtering.

How about getting people to fill out their profiles so one can get an idea if they are full of crap or they may actually know what they are talking about?

If you cannot determine which is which, I suggest watching and learning instead of commenting.

Wrong turn this morning? How about every morning!

JeffG asked
There is a pesky thing called "Rock Bottom" or did you not see what forum you are in?
Jeff, it is my understanding that in the situation described, and upon which you commented, "Rock Bottom" is an irrelevant concept and not part of the dive plan -- regardless of which forum one might be in. Cave gas planning is surface to surface -- period. At least that's my understanding of the "DIR/UTD" approach.

JeffG asked Jeff, it is my understanding that in the situation described, and upon which you commented, "Rock Bottom" is an irrelevant concept and not part of the dive plan -- regardless of which forum one might be in. Cave gas planning is surface to surface -- period. At least that's my understanding of the "DIR/UTD" approach.

Rock bottom gets real important in deep caves. People are kidding themselves if they don't incorporate it into their plan. I recently had a 900psi (of 104s) rock bottom on a cave dive. Thats nothing to wag a finger at, especially as we see how important deeper decompression is.

On shallow dives, you can get by without it as you'll have a real small deco obligation till your 20ft bottle, and possibly extra gas laying around in stages.

Maybe it is the above tone or attitude about many DIR divers that pisses people off.

I don't think there's anything specifically DIR about bad attitudes or nasty tones, you'll find that aplenty in any group. I think it's also reasonable to assume they you'll trigger some defensive attitudes from any group when you go into their forum and start prodding them about how bad their name is and how many of their members are jerks. Maybe we should all try to save a few brain cells today and let it lie?

Maybe it is the above tone or attitude about many DIR divers that pisses people off.

It is marketing 101. If your name is problem, change it. It is even politics 101. If your bill isn't going to pass, change the name to something more palatable.

I actually think that superficial garbage like that is part of the problem with our society. Changing Phillip Morris's name to Altria doesn't solve anything.

The sad thing is, like I mentioned above, is DIR could be the greatest thing since swiss cheese. From what I have uncovered through research, conversations is that the DIR philosophy and practices make a lot of sense.

The fact that you find it makes a lot of sense, but won't touch it because of the name says a couple of orders of magnitude more about you than it does about DIR/GUE.

The loss is really to the DIR philosophy and way. As DIR divers maybe you could self police or moderate yourselves?

Nope, I can't stop someone else who has been trained by GUE from being a jackass, and definitely can't do it in order to please you. We actually aren't a cult, and we don't "police" members.

The information I get from the DIR forum tends to be clear and concise.

Unfortunately it is comments like this that piss off and turn people off from DIR.

:cussing: Rainer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom