S. Padre questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMHeimer

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Dartmouth,NS,Canada(Eastern Passage-Atlantic)
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm going to S. Padre I. last 2 weeks in May. Hope to take a charter or 2, maybe to the oil rigs. Has anyone been there and noticed what kinds of shells I may find? Same question for the jetties. Also, any particular advice for the jetties-depths, currents, entries/exits, best places to find shells there? Figured at predicted 77 F water my shorty will do. Thanks in advance for info.

I'd highly recommend diving the Texas Clipper while you're there, American Diving runs regular charters: American Diving

Oil rigs are a hard place to find shells. They are usually 150 - 400 feet deep. South Padre has shells on the beach and in the stores though. You can usually find interesting things along the jetties, but there are people fishing there too, and it really hurts when they set the hook. I agree with the suggestion to dive the "Texas Clipper" instead.

I agree with diving the Clipper but since your going to be there 2 weeks hit the rigs too.

Randy

TM,
Definitely hit up the rigs and the Clipper when in Padre. Although the surface temp may be near 77, there will most likely be a thermocline where the temp can be 10 degrees F colder. I also recommend to bring a Full 3mm or 3/2 anyway, since diving barnacle encrusted wrecks and rigs it is best to have as much protection as possible.

Shell hunting is best done on the north end of the island. You'll need a 4x4 or be prepared to spend the day walking to get to the really good spots. Jetty dives are cool, but visibility on the Jetties usually doesn't clear up until late June or into July.

Have fun in Padre.

I stand corrected..... went out to the Jetties today and had a good 10 to 20 feet of viz. Doesn't sound like much, but this time of year its usually 10 - 20 inches, so we'll take it. Lots of spearfishers out today.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom