S&S YS-01 vs S&S YS-02

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes it works, I have a SnS 110a and an Inon Z240. Both work with the Olympus set up. The only worry is looking at the SnS site they do not claim it is compatible (with my Oly DSLR) whereas the Inon site does claim it is compatible. The Sea and Sea MUST have the camera in auto full flash mode to do TTL whereas the Inon will work on 1/64th manual flash.

I suspect that Inon has worked with Olympus and may have made the Olympus underwater flashes. They look similar to the Inon.

My last thought is that SnS seem to be better manufactured than the Inon ie you can flood the battery compartment in a SnS, flush it out, clean the contacts and away you go, you have to be a bit more careful with the Inon.

Having said that, the Inon is a great flash in TTL and provides a great coverage and the photo's look very good, I would buy another one.

My 2c worth.

Yes it works, I have a SnS 110a and an Inon Z240. Both work with the Olympus set up. The only worry is looking at the SnS site they do not claim it is compatible (with my Oly DSLR) whereas the Inon site does claim it is compatible. The Sea and Sea MUST have the camera in auto full flash mode to do TTL whereas the Inon will work on 1/64th manual flash.

I suspect that Inon has worked with Olympus and may have made the Olympus underwater flashes. They look similar to the Inon.

My last thought is that SnS seem to be better manufactured than the Inon ie you can flood the battery compartment in a SnS, flush it out, clean the contacts and away you go, you have to be a bit more careful with the Inon.

Having said that, the Inon is a great flash in TTL and provides a great coverage and the photo's look very good, I would buy another one.

My 2c worth.
I shot my DX 2G with two YS01 strobes in DSTTL and the camera flash set on manual, 1/8 power and it worked flawlessly.

NOw I've just got to wait for the ZX-1 and housing.

Just to make things a bit more complex....

You might know that Oly has a strobe (the UFL-2)... that strobe is their 36 guide number strobe, put in an underwater case.

It has a huge number of features that a normal underwater strobe does not....including the ability to zoom as the lens zooms (via wireless connection). The strobe at wide angle is only a guide number of 20.

One can change strobe settings from the back of the camera.

There are several items that have people concerned, or to be blunt, they don't like, including:

1. It only uses to 2 AA, and while taking TTL images, the recycle time is hard to even see, but do a complete strobe dump, and it will take seconds to recharge.

2. The field of view is not as wide as most round pattern, underwater strobes. While I doubt this is a concern, it would be possible with that really wide angle lens and a dome to see the difference.

3. The flash should be good for over 200 flashes...but if you ever used it in manual mode, would guess the last flashes would take over 10 seconds per flash. (In ttl mode, one would mostly never be limited).

4. Zoom (if turned on), may be a real mistake, as the strobe underwater is no longer aligned with the camera... so it may be a rather worthless feature.

5. It does not have a focus light (which I like to use for strobe aiming.

On the other hand:

1. I just used two of the UFL-1's with a LX5, and after over 600 images, I never had one that was not exposed correctly. Nor was the recyle ever an issue.

2. I accidentally turned on a feature (which the Oly should also have), that adjusted the shutter speed, and then adjusted to flash output to provide a balance fill. It worked amazingly well. It was so good, that someone else had to inform me it was on.

3. The Oly can flash sync to 1/2000 of a second... (the LX5 to 1/4000th) this strobe will work at those speeds

4. Like the Nikon land strobe system, these can be used in bunches, and wirelessly controlled. Could, if they wanted to spend to the time, do some pretty amazing lighting with say 6 or 7 of them.

5. The stobe can be used on land (as it is just their middle of the pack land strobe in a case).

I'm a huge fan of what Oly is doing with the XZ, and will also be getting one, and have been struggling with which strobe to get. I have YS110's on my other gear, and am very comfortable with using S&S strobes, but I think that perhaps giving the Oly strobe a chance would not be a bad idea.

How about going with 2 UFL-1 strobes? Would that be a good setup with the ZX-1? The UFL-2 is a bit expensive for me especially if I want to go with two of them.

JDF--I think you need to start your own thread to ask your questions, the OP was asking about YS-01 & YS-02 strobes.

Rajohn, spend the extra $$ for the YS-01, IMO. The focus light is often all the light you need on a night dive. (Not that you wouldn't carry backup, real lights!) Instead of trying to hold the camera and an extra light, the focus light is right there where you need it and want to be looking.

Not sure about the focus light output on a YS-01 but on my YS-110A it's typically all the light I use on a night dive. Also, a built in light is handy when you poke the camera into a dark space and find it hard to focus on a day dive. You learn pretty quick how to offset the strobe so as not to aim it right at the subject. // ww

Opps, my error. I thought the OP originally asked about a YS-01 vs a YS-02 for their G-11 however I now see that you wanted to know about the Oly ZX-1 and UFL strobes. Silly me. // ww

NO actually I was asking about the YS-01 and 02 strobes and someone recommended a different strobe for my use and I replied. The recommendation was spot on and much appreciated. Sometimes a thread can't stay 100% on the exact topic and title. The topic is about strobes and specifically about US-01 and 02 strobes. However, the UFL strobes are another choice to be considered. This is why I said to read the thread. Authoritative and obnoxious...what a combo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom