S&S YS110a on slave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kkgodiving

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Juz got one recently and found it to be less responsive on slave as compared to YS90Duo. Was it my set up or has anyone else have the same experience? THx.

Less responsive in what way? Please provide more information.

Meaning it (YS110a) does not fire on slave if it is too far away from the reflected light. For example, when I set up the strobes for wide angle - each on a 8"+4" arm - the slave unit does not fire. It will only fire when I move them closer. I do not have this problem when I was using 2 YS90Duo.

The problem is because the YS-110 and YS-110a are designed to be used with a fiber optic sync cord more so than just reflected light. They have their sensor deeper in there to allow for the fiber to be "Plugged in" where the YS-90 has the sensor out near the surface of the strobe and the fiber cable (if used) was not "plugged in".

Basically since the sensor is deeper on the YS-110a it is not seeing the light when they are further away. When you move them closer, they see the light and fire. You really should use a firber optic cable to fire them and then you wouldn't have the issue.

The problem is because the YS-110 and YS-110a are designed to be used with a fiber optic sync cord more so than just reflected light. They have their sensor deeper in there to allow for the fiber to be "Plugged in" where the YS-90 has the sensor out near the surface of the strobe and the fiber cable (if used) was not "plugged in".

Basically since the sensor is deeper on the YS-110a it is not seeing the light when they are further away. When you move them closer, they see the light and fire. You really should use a firber optic cable to fire them and then you wouldn't have the issue.

Thank you, Rich.

My housing (S&S MDX-D300) does not accept FO cable. What I can do is to use a dual 5-pin cord adaptor or fire the YS110a on cable and the YS90Duo on slave.

Thank you, again.

Thank you, Rich.

My housing (S&S MDX-D300) does not accept FO cable. What I can do is to use a dual 5-pin cord adaptor or fire the YS110a on cable and the YS90Duo on slave.

Thank you, again.

Okay.. maybe I am not getting what you are saying.. The MDX-300 has two bulkheads on it (one for TTL and one for sync only). Are you using the TTL bulkhead or the other one? Why not just fire them both from cable by using the Sea & Sea Y-sync cable?

Maybe more information about what you have already would be helpful because you have a LOT of options here.

Okay.. maybe I am not getting what you are saying.. The MDX-300 has two bulkheads on it (one for TTL and one for sync only). Are you using the TTL bulkhead or the other one? Why not just fire them both from cable by using the Sea & Sea Y-sync cable?

Maybe more information about what you have already would be helpful because you have a LOT of options here.

Up to now, I m using the syn cord bulkhead - one strobe on cord and the other on slave. By dual 5-pin cord adaptor, I meant the Y-cord; pardon the confusion. Thx.

Up to now, I m using the syn cord bulkhead - one strobe on cord and the other on slave. By dual 5-pin cord adaptor, I meant the Y-cord; pardon the confusion. Thx.

So it sounds like you are using the strobes in "Manual" mode with the 110a being synced to the camera via a hard wire and the YS90 is being synced with just the slave sensor.

You could (and I would) use the Sea & Sea Y-Sync cable and do both of them that way. It would be much more reliable and solve your issue. When and if you want TTL, you would use the TTL adapter and connect them to that.

The slave sensor on the YS-90 has some issues especially if it is facing the sun in a wide angle shot. The sync cable just eliminates the whole problem.

So it sounds like you are using the strobes in "Manual" mode with the 110a being synced to the camera via a hard wire and the YS90 is being synced with just the slave sensor.

You could (and I would) use the Sea & Sea Y-Sync cable and do both of them that way. It would be much more reliable and solve your issue. When and if you want TTL, you would use the TTL adapter and connect them to that.

The slave sensor on the YS-90 has some issues especially if it is facing the sun in a wide angle shot. The sync cable just eliminates the whole problem.

Thx, Rich. The Y-cord will be on my Xmas wish list.

Back
Top Bottom