Saba -- I drank the Kool Aid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

inter_alia

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Saba. There are no beaches and no malls. No discos. No name-brand hotels. It’s hard to get to, and can take a stomach of steel to fly or ferry (your only two options) there. You stay up at 1,500 feet, and you’re a diver so you’re all “now, wait a minute. I’m not supposed to go over 1,000 feet after diving.” You schedule nine days on the island and it turns out three of those days, everything’s closed because of the anniversary of Queen Beatrix’s coronation. What?

I loved it.

Because there are no beaches, malls, discos, name-brand hotels and it’s hard-ish to get to. Our pilot scrubbed the first landing attempt because of rain. We circled for a while, then he stuck the wheels like a pro to the tarmac while stalling (probably not actually stalling) the engines. We applauded, and I have all the confidence in the world in that Frenchman. And that’s saying something. The grocery store opened on the third day of the long holiday because of popular protest (just a lot of medical students coming into term and asking politely for some open hours.)

The diving overall: Sea Saba was our dive op. World class. Saba’s tiny (5 square miles), and the diving options aren’t actually all that many. But the sites are pristine, for the most part, and all the dives are guided. It does not take 15 minutes to get to the farthest sites, and one of the best we had was less than 5 minutes from the pier.

The staff didn’t hand-hold, and you could go off on your own if you wanted to, but stick around and you’ll see a huge free swimming seahorse, or maybe even be pointed to look at the reef sharks swimming away from your loud, cumbersome group of divers. Your group is less than ten divers, on relatively huge boats. Yup.

On nearly every dive, we saw Hawksbill turtles. By the time turtles get to Saba, they’re seaworthy and large. There is no nesting on Saba, so the ones that are there are tourists. Like you. They’re majestic, kind of curious about you, and not in a hurry to leave. You will get pictures, and they will be very good pictures.

One morning, the wind was so calm and the air so clear that I put the bug in our captain’s ear that maybe today would be great to go “windwardside.” That’s usually pretty rough seas (but only by comparison to the very tranquil lee side of Saba, we’re only talking 3 to 5 as “rough”). The staff polled everybody and we were all for it. So we did the briefing at the dock and turned left out of there instead of right. I was thrilled. That day, I doubt we were in the “2" range. We managed to go pretty far around the island (Statia was on the horizon, massive. You could frequently see islands on the horizon out there.). David’s Drop-Off was the name of the site, and we had two Davids of seven divers.

Windwardside diving offers white sand instead of the usual Saba volcanic black sand, or unfathomable depth below you. So it seems like (and maybe it is) that the water is clearer, the vis better and the reefs more reef-y. But there’s where you’re right, the only real “reefs” are windwardside, and that’s where we were. It was the most like Bonaire, there.

So we splash, get down to about 75 feet (we were heading for 100) but stop when... A pair of enormous spotted eagle rays were passing by. In no hurry at all. Just passing by, and we were all mature enough to just float and watch. As they started moving out of sight, my dad turns to me gesturing “how f’ing cool was that?” and I motioned, “dude, turn around, they’re banking and coming back.” (Or I’d like to think I did. He turned back around, anyway.) And the pair came in for another slow, closer pass. And again. We almost got bored, but only almost, until they finally went on their way.

I could get into particulars with depth and temps, but why. It’s all very comfortable, there were no currents and if you get chilled, the dive staff will bring something else for you to wear.

It’s not the cheapest diving in the world (about $100 per 2-tank boat with a 5-day dive package), but the folks at Sea Saba pick you up in the morning (around 9 a.m., which feels later than it is to me.) They make sure you get back after the diving. They can get you into restaurants (which can be tricky because everything is smaller on Saba. Things do get booked, but there are always alternatives.) You leave your gear on the boat every day, and they handle it. You lift nothing, which always adds that element of “oh, right. I’m on vacation!” We tipped 20%, and you might even feel like doing that too.

We stayed in a house, which I recommend if you’re autonomous like our family. But we checked out Scout’s and Juliana’s and both are good. No matter where you stay near town (we were in Windwardside), it’s easy to go to a bar, and it’s easy to go to a grocery store for beers if you’d rather. And the grocery store has plenty, including name brands you can identify at 30 paces – don’t worry. My only real recommendation is to avoid flip-flops. It’s a hill everywhere you go. Croc’s are fine, to a point.

The people are a delight. It’s “good morning” all over the place, and sincerity that makes you cut your sarcasm to a tenth. Notice I said “good morning,” in English. The island is Dutch, the people’s culture came from the U.K. Our cab driver, Garvis, is 7th or 8th generation on the island, and when we go back I'm going to pack my entire family into his van and have him take us everywhere for a day. He was that wonderful, too.

I did not hike up all the way to Mt. Scenery, but I did a smaller hike to a view over Windwardside on my last day. I got up to the top by 6 a.m. and had the place to myself. It was sunrise, and beautiful. I cannot explain how peaceful it is to run around mountains there that early. Truly sublime. (And I’m no hippie.)

So that’s my Saba report. I’m keeping some things to myself, lest you take our time slot for next year before we’ve paid deposits. We had nine days this year, we’re thinking more in 2009.

I need to get back to Saba. We had an awesome time when we went a few years ago. Nice trip report.

Great report intre alia

Our group (16) scubaboard folks are heading to Saba in just 3 weeks June 7-14.
To say everyone is hyped to go would be a VAST understatement. We are also using Sea Saba and 11 dives are inculded in our package. We are staying at Julianas and I understand our group will be filling up most of the resort.

We got a AWESOME Dema special on this trip 659.00(300.00 off the normal price) which includes room,11 dives, breakfast and transport to and from the dock and I think a BBQ dinner on the last day.

2 lucky people have the opportunity to join us since 2 of our group have had to cancel at the last minute.Heres a link for more details if you intrested in going with us.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tr...rips/232409-2-spots-open-saba-june-7-14-a.htm

I have heard about the diving in saba for many years and now it' just a few weeks away

Clear Blue, I have some photos, here's a favorite stitched panoramic of Windwardside from the smaller mountain, Maskehorne.

Attachments

• pano.jpg
    pano.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 121
This time next month I will be there! 2 weeks in and around Saba. Sounds heavenly.

27 days to go!

went there last summer! we wanted to hike to the top of mt. scenery, so we did that our first day there, and then began diving the following day. you need to be in fair condition........not a total couch potato in other words. we got up to the top in about 1 hour, stayed up there, going to the several lookout points, etc. for about an hour and a half. it was awesome........definitely worth it! saba is an awesome little place. have a great time!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom