Saba Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peterjmaerz

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just back from 7 days at Juliana’s, diving with Sea Saba. As Doc Vikingo has so eloquently expressed in his post on Saba, this is a unique and lovely island in a number of ways, and the diving ain’t bad either! I had the fortune to find a seat just behind the doorless cockpit of the WinAir Twin Otter that carried me over from St Martin. From that vantage I looked up, startled, to see the sheer, Lost World cliffs of the island looming in the plane’s windshield, seemingly close enough to touch. At the apparent last moment, the pilots veered left and flew parallel to the cliff face, lining up for our aircraft carrier-type landing on the purported shortest commercial runway in the world.

After a quick stop at the immigration window in the tiny, spotless and airy airport “terminal”, I was whisked up the impossibly steep concrete road by taxi driver Bill in one of the island’s three Toyota Van cabs (at least those were the only ones I saw) , gazing at the lush oleander bushes, the Greek-island-like white-walled houses with green trim and red roofs (the only color scheme found on all the island’s homes), and the sweeping views down to the sea and up to the mist-shrouded Mt. Scenery.

Juliana’s is a lovely if simple establishment. The view from any of the rooms I saw is divided by lush green mountains and misty blue sea. My room was spacious, with plenty of storage space, a good sized table for laptop and camera work and a great back porch with hammock and that wonderful view. It’s more like a motel than a hotel in terms of luxury, but, practically speaking, it was perfect. U.S. configuration plugs and U.S. 110 volt current make power supply hookups a breeze. U.S. Dollars, by the way, are universally accepted., though AMEX is not. The Tropic restaurant, on the grounds, also affords great views with its open air design. Wim, owner of Juliana’s with his wife Johanna, is an excellent cook; the dinners I had there rivaled those of some of the best South Beach restaurants in Florida. The air is surprisingly cool at night (I pulled up my blankets before dawn), though unremittingly soggy (don’t think about doing any laundry in the sink, as I did—it won’t dry)

The tiny “town” of Windwardside is a quaint, leafy, cozy jumble of artsy-craftsy shops, a well-stocked little grocery store, the Sea Saba office, and a sprinkling of restaurants and taverns. European expats represent a good proportion of its inhabitants and appear to have integrated well with the local folks, with a very strong sense of responsibility for the good of the island. There’s little in the way of level ground on Saba; the roads all seem to tilt up or down at a 45 degree angle or greater.

The dive routine goes as follows: pickup at Juliana’s at 8:45 (read: 9:00) , a brief stop at the Sea Saba office where, after a honk of the horn, proprietor Lynn or assistant Caroline checks in on the group, a roller-coaster van ride down the mountain to the town of “The Bottom” and then on to the port. The port’s the least attractive spot in your daily travels, a muddy, rocky, dusty shelf carved out of the shore’s sheer red cliffs, with carcasses of old boat hulls, engines, and cars mingling with the diesel fumes and roar of the island’s power plant and the clanks and squeals of industrial cranes dredging and moving huge boulders about. The saving grace of this less than idyllic spot is Pop’s Place, purveyor of incredible lobster sandwiches (best consumed with the local fruity hot sauce). You’ll find it at the far end of the little waterfront area.

Once on the boat, tied up at one of the concrete piers, the Sea Saba crew takes over with extremely professional boat briefings, Nitrox analysis and documentation, a short trip to a dive site, an excellent, thorough and often entertaining site briefing and, finally, after backrolls off the side or strides off the stern of one of their very large and well-appointed 40’s, a well-led dive. As a single diver, once scrutinized for skills, I was allowed to choose my own profile. I could follow the DM (who, as is usually the case, knew where the good stuff was), buddy up with a particular diver or divers, or just loosely hang in the vicinity of the group.

As has been said often, Man o’ War Shoals and Diamond Rock are the standouts. The former, a twin-pinnacle site with valley in between, was thick with fish life and visually stunning. Lots of sea fans, corals, sponges and other stuff coating its surface. Diamond rock is about as wall-like a dive as you’ll see, also dramatic in its encrustations of sponge and coral and featuring plenty of sea life as well. The undersea topography is interesting. All volcanic structures on which corals, sponges, gorgoneans, etc have grown.

Morning dives were pretty deep, for the most part, somewhere around 100 feet. Nitrox is a godsend on these dives, yielding well over a half hour of dive time on all but the very deepest profiles.

Surface intervals were just over an hour, usually spent in a sheltered area close to shore, gently rocking on the boat. Second dives, starting close to noon, would average at 75 foot max depths and the optional third, afternoon dives, embarked on after a docked surface interval when the crew would restock the boat, were often in relatively shallow patchy sites. Water and lemonade are served on board, but other food or drink is the responsibility of the passenger. There’s a head and a fairly spacious changing area below in the bow of the boats. A large plastic tub serves as a camera bucket, but is filled with sea water, since fresh is a scarcity. Gear is rinsed each day by the crew before your departure but, again, the water shortage tends to lead to a perfunctory spritzing of BC and reg with the fresh water hose. Further rinsing (as of wetsuits) is up to you.

The crew and operators Lynn and John are first rate, genuinely friendly, very knowledgeable and mature. They treat you like an adult and expect the same from you. I found the diving, overall, to be very enjoyable, though I did not see the abundance or variety of fish life I’ve seen elsewhere, such as Bonaire, St. Vincent, Dominica or Little Cayman. Saw a number of relaxing nurse sharks but no white tips, black tips or reef sharks, though some of my fellow divers spotted one or two during the course of the week. Durgeons are in relative abundance, lots of Sgt Majors about the shallower “reef” tops, some triggers, plenty of Southern Stingrays in the sand, as well as those wonderfully weird Peacock Flounders with their twisted mouths and cockeyed eyes. A couple of spotted morays peeked out of the cracks. One seahorse and one frogfish were reported by other divers. I was surprised to find a couple of nice nudibranchs and I did spot a fish I'd not seen before, a member of the Balloon fish family called a Burr Fish.

One of the highlights of my stay was participation in the annual, month long Sea and Learn program that Lynn and John have organized. It’s an impressive group of wildlife and sealife experts who conduct nightly seminars (very informal, while very informative) and lead field studies. I participated in two field studies, bird-watching (a first for me) and seahorse census taking. The presenters were as much fun personally as they were enlightening and a good time was had by all.

If you’re on the island on a Friday night, head over to Scout’s place in Windwardside for a riotous night of Karaoke. All the locals, expats, dive crews, hotel workers, cab drivers and anyone else around mix joyously and sing their hearts out. The Galalxy Disco is a fun late-night hang, noisy, smoky and silly, with lots of young folks having a ball. Do some hiking if you can; the hike to the sulfur mine is a breathtaking descent down the Oceanside cliffs. You needn’t hike all the way up to Mt. Scenery’s peak to appreciate the rainforest along the way. And just strolling about the impossibly narrow, quaint streets in the towns is very enjoyable. There is virtually no crime on Saba, by the way. I was not even given a key to my room. By the way, be sure to check out Sea Saba’s website. There’s a wealth of information about travel to and stays on the island that Lynn spends a lot of her time updating.

Overall, Saba’s definitely a worthwhile experience. Certainly, it’s unique among the islands and the people, scenery and overall environment make up for any lack of spectacular diving.

Best Regards,

Overall, Saba’s definitely a worthwhile experience. Certainly, it’s unique among the islands and the people, scenery and overall environment make up for any lack of spectacular diving.

Best Regards,

Thank you for the detailed and informative report, but I am rather disappointed as we are planning to spend five or six days there in December (after eight in Dominica) largely because we'd heard that the diving is spectacular.

erichK

Thank you for the detailed and informative report, but I am rather disappointed as we are planning to spend five or six days there in December (after eight in Dominica) largely because we'd heard that the diving is spectacular.

erichK

I understand, Erich. Of course, mine is just one opinion among many and may be colored by my recent Holy Grail Papua New Guinea experience. Be sure to search the board for other opinions. You'll find many.

Again, the underwater geology is truly unique and fascinating in Saba (i.e. the pinnacles) Also, I neglected to mention that while I was there, the vis was super, well over 100 feet on a couple of days, with 84 degree water. It was the lack of abundance and variety of fish life, and the lack of shark sightings that disappointed.

Best,

I understand, Erich. Of course, mine is just one opinion among many and may be colored by my recent Holy Grail Papua New Guinea experience. Be sure to search the board for other opinions. You'll find many.
Best,

Well then where could I find your Papau New Guinea report? My plans are set for July

Thanks,
Caymanaic

After you go, you'll understand my Avatar, if you don't already...

Best,

Very nice trip report(s). Thank you for sharing. I truly got a flavor for the island and the diving. I wonder if some of the lack of marine life might be seasonal. I know on trips to Coz and Turks & Caicos there seems to be some seasonal variation.

Nice report Peter. I too just returned from a 10 day trip to Saba (8 days x 3 dives per day). I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder - but giving the impression that diving in Saba is "not spectacular" doesn't really do it justice.

Seeing the Eye of the Needle materialize out of the blue has to be considered spectacular by most.

Finding seahorses, flying gurnards, burrfish between the larval and juvenile stages, a large barracuda monitoring our movements, conchs hopping around - all on one dive!

Southern sting rays, huge lobster, peacock flounder, hawksbill turtles, scrawled filefise, reef shark - all on another dive.

The wall at Tent Reef deep is very impressive. The encrusted boulders at Tent Reef shallow are a wonderland of swim throughs and marine life of all kinds.

I could go on and on, but must take issue with the observation that diving on Saba is not spectacular! Just my opinion.

Good diving!

My wife, fifteen year old daughter and I spent seven days in Domenica and five in Saba over the holiday break. After the three of us did 21 dives with Nature Island Dive in the the Soufriere/Scott's Head area of Domenica and about a dozen dives with Sea Saba, we all agreed that our diving experience was generally better in Domenica.
The feeling of our Domenican divemasters being partners, or at least respected co-organizers in the enterprise rather than mere employees, the ability to go ashore between dives, the much more pleasant harbour and jetty, the less hurried atmosphere and the considerably lower cost per dive all contributed to this.

erichK:
My wife, fifteen year old daughter and I spent seven days in Domenica and five in Saba over the holiday break.

Hi ErichK

I share your preference for Dominica over Saba. I found the diving itself quite superior in terms of fish life and corals and the topside...whew! As dramatic as Saba's scenery is, it pales in comparison to the splendor of DOminica. Did you have a chance to do any exploring on the island? Some of the hikes i enjoyed there will remain in my memory forever!

During both my visits there, I stayed at Castle Comfort and dove with Dive Dominica. The accomodations were very comfortable if not luxuious and the dive op excellent. I also spent a week each time at the Papilotte up near Trafalgar Falls. Beautiful.

Best,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom