SAC Rates - The Good, The Bad, The Average

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My SAC rate from the last 10 dives (tropic water) varies between 0.62 to 0.83. Correct me if I do wrong, I use average depth when I calculate the rate.

Yes, and no. If you want a number that represents what you actually are using, yes use your average ATA for that dive. BUT if you want a number that makes you feel good, use your max ATA.

If you really want to know how many cubic feet of gas you use per minute per ATA do this ; Note your pressure depth and run time as you start and end the bottom phase of your dive. Use these numbers to do your calculations. This way the depth dose not change very much and your numbers are more meaningful.
Having said all that....If you are just comparing your rate to your dive buddy, as long as you both do it the same way, it dosent matter how you do it.

Last edited:
Some of you may have moved on in the last ten years, but I just want to thank those of you who posted your “higher” SAC rates on here. I just did my formal SAC rate dives for Tec40 this weekend, and my deco rate (at surface, not moving) was 0.5 and my swimming one was 1.2. This was in 48 degree water in a 7mm suit, but it helps to see that there are experienced divers with rates over 0.4

Some of you may have moved on in the last ten years, but I just want to thank those of you who posted your “higher” SAC rates on here. I just did my formal SAC rate dives for Tec40 this weekend, and my deco rate (at surface, not moving) was 0.5 and my swimming one was 1.2. This was in 48 degree water in a 7mm suit, but it helps to see that there are experienced divers with rates over 0.4
Thanks for the decade resurrection. Perhaps you would like to participate in a contemporary thread. Please enter you avg RMV into the poll. Average Gas Consumption

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom