Sad day for Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I traveled from Australia to dive this site. Incredible that any site never mind this one should be subjected to such a savage collecting. :angrymob: The surviving creatures need to be returned but even then the losses would be devastating as they tried to reestablish their territories.:facepalm:

FWC should have seized the wildlife and quickly returned it for violating the terms of the permit and mostly because they can. Once it goes into a captive tank in TX, it can't be returned due to the potential of introducing something foreign to the ecosystem.

You gotta be a real ******* to clear out one small site like that. While the aquarium trade has provided the funding for many amazing breakthroughs in marine science, equipment, coral restoration and captive breeding, that type of collecting is grossly unethical. And to make matters worse, they aren't even from Florida.

That is terribly unethical. Let us hope this incident is enough to help garner support for a permanent sanctuary. And FL residents- contact your representatives! I am going to, on Monday!

It will be very interesting to see how fast this targeted area recovers. I would never try to minimize the horrible impact of this callace act, but I remain optimistic that "Mother Nature" will prevail and will correct for this rather quickly.

...I am all for making noise, so we can ensure this is a "one time" incident.

That is terribly unethical. Let us hope this incident is enough to help garner support for a permanent sanctuary. And FL residents- contact your representatives! I am going to, on Monday!
I doubt you'll have any success in that regard. People fish the bridge and the locals would have their say. Public shaming the culprits is probably the best technique. It seems to have worked here. Though if their response is accurate regarding how much was taken, I think someone embellished the severity of the incident. I doubt anyone would notice a difference and it appears they are returning the fish to BHB. Still, given the unique nature of the site, anyone taking anything from there is an azz.
Capture.JPG

I am sorry, what exactly is a "professional collector"? A hired thief, a hired poacher?
As for "profeasional", a true professional that cared about marine life would not strip an area like that, but would do their best to minimize the impact on each area where they collect.
These folks a just paid poachers, and any and all licenses or permits for this activity should be permanently revoke.

Also those that hired such unprofessional thieves should be publicly shunned and made to pay a price.

BHB deserves the same protection found in some reefs in John Pennekamp State Park.

I am sorry, what exactly is a "professional collector"? A hired thief, a hired poacher?
As for "profeasional", a true professional that cared about marine life would not strip an area like that, but would do their best to minimize the impact on each area where they collect.
These folks a just paid poachers, and any and all licenses or permits for this activity should be permanently revoke.

Also those that hired such unprofessional thieves should be publicly shunned and made to pay a price.
A professional collector is a lot like a hunting guide. For anyone who has aquarium fish or parrots or any domesticated wild animal, someone caught it and in the case of mammals, probably killed the mother to do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom