Sadly, the time has come...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

popsiclediver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It is time for me to accept that it's time for me to start looking for a new drysuit.
My Whites Tropical Explorer has served me well but it has reached the point where there is more AquaSeal, and a variety of patching materials inside than original material.
For the last three years it has been a 'damp suit'...
I keep limping along because I haven't found anything comparable.

I have looked at many other 'thin' suits and nothing comes close except the Fusion.
Everything has 'feet', and I would love latex ankle seals...
I don't want anything as 'thick' as the DUI...
I need to have front entry as I could be travelling on my own and don't want to rely on others to free me in a hurry... :wink:
(Unless the rear shoulder zip on the Essence is self-escape!)
I carry my TE in my carry on, and folded flat it tips the scales at 3 lbs.

I have just recently seen the Waterproof D9 online and am intrigued, but the idea of 'crotch-strap' scares me...LOL

I wonder if I could just wear neoprene socks over the feet and not wear 'boots'? That defeats the 'carry on' strategy...
The suit is for warm water only. I wear lycra leggings and a thin fleece long sleeve top for 'insulation'-basically to keep the suit from sticking to bare skin because thats gross and sticky...

If anyone is familiar with the Tropical Explorer and can help I would really appreciate it!
Cheers!
Poppy

DUI has a tropic suit with ankle seals. I think RJP might have one.

We sold lots of tropical explorers in my shop, those that liked them, liked them a lot. I've always wondered if kayak Drysuits could do the job with some simple modifications......never had someone volunteer their suit for me play Dr Frankenstein.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The crotch strap on the D9 is necessary for all suits with a telescoping torso which makes the suit that much easier to get into. DRiS is now selling Rofos suits thta are nice and light for travel. I believe you can have any suit ordered without any boots and have DRiS install the ankle seals for you. They ship to the great white north all the time as well and with the cost of a suit it should be free to ship

I think the only manufacturers are Whites and DUI. Both are good. I still like my Whites - RJP does indeed use the DUI.

Thank you for the suggestions, I had a look at the Rofos, but at 3 kg its way too heavy...carry on restrictions EU-Asia are 5-7kg, checked bags at 15-20kg so every thing adds up..
I will look again at the DUI, I'd been considering it a while ago, but then the Fusion came out...I can't find a dry weight for it..
I understand the need for the crotch strap, but why a 'telescoping torso'? I've never had one on any of my drysuits and never had a problem getting in or out?
The Fusion Fit is equivalent to the 'unisex' Fusion _____? <--Please fill in the blank. I'm not a big fan of the purple panels...
Cheers!
Poppy

I don't know what the weight comparison between the DUI suit and the Fusion is, but the Fusion with the Sport skin weighs very little and can be wadded up in a ball. If you don't care about pockets, it's a fantastic travel suit -- and if you get the neck and wrist rings, you can solve one of the biggest issues with a traveling dry suit, which is a blown seal.

DUI has a tropic suit with ankle seals. I think RJP might have one.

In fact I do.

It has latex ankle seals.
It is no thicker than my buddy's (tajkd) White's tropical explorer.
It is front zip.
It packs tiny. (even more so now with a TiZip zipper.)
According to my bathroom scale it weighs 3.5lbs (XL size)
I did not put it my carry-on for a recent Bonaire trip... but I could have.

Crappy phone picture:

FullSizeRender_6_.jpg

If you took my DUI 30/30 away from me... I'd give up warm water diving.

I love my 30/30. I had to change a wrist zipseal. I did it during the dive briefing, I didn't miss the dive &#128522;. It is not that thin of a material but it breave.

Thank you everyone for your input! The photo has almost sold me and I will only need a Womens Med...! I carry my drysuit on board as its the most important pc of gear; in reality everything else can be rented, but I can't dive wet...
Thanks!

Reactions: RJP
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom