Safe dive trips - role models

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Piscean

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK, here's a question:

How do you run a safe dive trip (to the Caribbean)? How do you make sure that everyone has fun but no-one gets hurt? I am particularly interested in knowing how you deal with issues such as drinking, smoking and staying out late partying.

I would suggest that a couple of drinks is not a problem so long as you don't get dehydrated and a late night is OK so long as you are not falling asleep while diving.

So lets say I own a store and run a trip. I enjoy being with my customers because by the nature of the business, many of them are my friends but that does not protect me from law suits if one of them gets hurt. So if I go out with them, have a few drinks, a few cigarettes and a late night, how do I make sure that the couple of customers who I don't know so well don't end up getting drunk and bent the next diving day. Do I have to not drink at all, not smoke at all and be in bed by 10pm to be a good role model or is there some way to find a happy medium where I can still do what I enjoy when I am on vacation without worrying about my customers suing me because "I just copied what the store owner did, so it must be his fault that I'm bent".

Thanks for your thoughts...

Good question. I wish I had a good answer. The fact is that if you run a trip and someone gets hurt your going to get named in the suit even if you were a perfect role model.

If you are with customers on a trip you can't relax and enjoy your vacation because your not on vacation your WORKING. If you enjoy your work that's good but if you need more enjoyment go with family or freinds who aren't customers. However if your an instructor you still might get sued.

Piscean once bubbled...
OK, here's a question:

How do you run a safe dive trip (to the Caribbean)? How do you make sure that everyone has fun but no-one gets hurt? I am particularly interested in knowing how you deal with issues such as drinking, smoking and staying out late partying.

I would suggest that a couple of drinks is not a problem so long as you don't get dehydrated and a late night is OK so long as you are not falling asleep while diving.

So lets say I own a store and run a trip. I enjoy being with my customers because by the nature of the business, many of them are my friends but that does not protect me from law suits if one of them gets hurt. So if I go out with them, have a few drinks, a few cigarettes and a late night, how do I make sure that the couple of customers who I don't know so well don't end up getting drunk and bent the next diving day. Do I have to not drink at all, not smoke at all and be in bed by 10pm to be a good role model or is there some way to find a happy medium where I can still do what I enjoy when I am on vacation without worrying about my customers suing me because "I just copied what the store owner did, so it must be his fault that I'm bent".

Thanks for your thoughts...

Well.....assuming everyone is legally an adult and certified then they are essentially responsible for their own behaviour and the consequences of that behaviour. You could make them sign a form to that extent. Something like a liability waiver and the safe diving practices form from PADI might suffice. It won't stop you from getting sued but it will improve your chances of winning. Also if you don't have liability insurance you should probably get it.

And obviously as the dive leader you have the option of addressing this issue in a briefing before you leave or before someone signs up to go.

And finally I would think about organising getting there and back, accomodations and other travelling logistics and to hire a local DM/boat/shop to handle the actual diving. If you have a professional status then you're never totally off the hook but this would at least create a buffer.

R..

Two words for you: "Caesar's wife."

Oops...hit the post button.

Anyhow, the concept is that you must be above reproach in your professional activities. I think you should set a good example for your customers. There are several reasons.

First, there's a business reason. Suppose that you have a first-time customer with you. That person sees you leading dives and leading the evening "pub crawl." What sort of impression will you leave with that customer? Will his/her friends (or your other customers' friends) want to do business with you after they hear the stories (which I guarantee will grow more fabulous with each telling) about your activities?

Second, there's a legal reason. While carefully drafted waivers can cover many problems, tales that you were leading a drunken congo line are the kinds of things we lawyers LOVE to hear about.

Third, there's a personal safety reason. The people you're drinking with are going to be your buddies on the next day's dive. Sure, you may only have two drinks, but what about them?

Fourth, there is a training reason. Like it or not, every dive trip is a training trip for your customers. Your example will affect how those customers develop as divers. If they see an experienced dive operator acting in a particular manner, they may be encouraged to believe that such behavior is acceptable. Of course, most people are not sheep; but in my experience, people rely upon the example of more experienced persons to develop their own responses to situations.

My preferred solution is to be a sterling example. Be in bed early enough to get a good night's sleep. Don't go partying. Encourage the others to follow your example. You are working, after all, even if it doesn't seem like it.

If that's too extreme, the happy medium, I think, would be to reserve your partying for evenings when you don't have dives on the following days. If you want to go to the bar with your customers, then do so, but don't drink. Leave the bar early enough to get plenty of rest. Let your customers know what you're doing and why you're doing it. Something like "I'm passing on the drinks tonight because we're diving in the morning," or "I'm heading to bed; we have an early charter to catch."

If I were on the trip, I'd be more impressed by you as a shop owner for setting what I perceive to be a "good" example, than I would by all the witty barroom entertainment you could provide.

Of course, you should take everything I say with a grain of salt, since I am paid to be paranoid.

Sid or Julius's? Sorry...couldn't resist. :D

I tend to agree with the above posters. I think you should set yourself as a good role model, if only for appearance sakes should a suit occur. Unfortunately, we live in a sue-happy society in the US and no matter what, you could be brought to suit.

My suggestion is do not mix business w/ pleasure. Sad but true state. Sorry Diver0001, I disagree, even if everyone is an adult and everyone has signed the most meticulously worded release form, if something should go wrong, the leader will be the first name on the suit.

As AzAtt stated, counsel would love to hear about any activity that even hinted at impropriety/neglect/willful disregard. So play it safe, don't entertain, suggest they limit alcohol consumption to a 2 drink max, suggest turn in times for adequate sleep.

As one who entertains for business, I have seen staff & client careers self destruct after one careless night. I have pulled keys from clients who shouldn't drive. When conducting business I adopt rules of conduct that leave me free from reproach even from my detractors! Add me to the paranoid list.

That's it, be a good role model. I think the other suggestions have been great. It's not a vacation for you, it's work. I am a dive shop owner and a travel agent. I was a travel agent long before I was a dive shop owner. You can take all the precautions in the world and still get sued. That's what they make liability forms for, and insurance. I have dive shop insurance and travel insurance.
If you want to take a vacation then take one, alone.

Great question!!!!!

As your customer, I can enjoy a cold bottle of beer or several until late but will lose respect for you if you are there with me. I wouldn’t dive polluted, you may have to.

If I’m with you as a safety diver or if this is a club event, I’m on the water wagon and lights out early.

There's always time for more social activities after your finished with the diving responsibilities.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom