SAFE SECONDS `to buy or not to buy`

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nevr used and safe second of the type talked about even though I've got two of them. Sherwoods that came with regs I purchased for other things. I use a standard octo set up at the moment. Oceanic swivel. But now that my BPW is here I'll be going to long hose except for pool classes at the request of my instructor when acting as a DM. He'd like me to use it for ow checkouts also but for those the ultimate decision is mine. In fact I think I'm starting to persuade him by pointing out the benefits of exposing students to different configurations.

TxHockeyGuy:
I have an Air2, the Tusa Duo-Air, and I like it. However if I had it to do over again I would get a standard octo. My biggest complaint is that if you have a probem with your BC or your Reg neither of them now use standard connectors so your dive day is typically done unless you rent both a reg and BC. If you had standard connectors you could just rent the one broken piece or if you're lucky borrow from someone else who had a spare. I have also found that when practicing an out of air ascent I often need to take my air2 out of my mouth to vent, that is less than ideal. That being said I have had both my reg and my mask kicked off my face and it was priceless to know where my octo was immediately. Of course you should always know where your octo is, even if you're not using an air2.
You shouldn't have to take the AIR2 out of your mouth to vent (that would make it a really bad alternative). You can vent through the right shoulder dump valve, or through the AIR2 without removing it. Push halfway down on the manual control button and the AIR2 will release air through the vent on the other side of the housing.

If you had a equipment problem and needed to use your reg with a standard power inflator, you could probably rent/borrow a hose with a standard fitting and replace the hose with the AIR2 fitting.

That was worded poorly. The only time I have had to remove was when I found myself not keeping up with the expanding air in my BC (yea I know, I'm still working on weighting). As long as I keep up I can vent through the Air2 itself, I have no right shoulder dump. As far as replacing the hose, that's something that can only typically be done at a dive shop, not at the dive locations that I dive at.

divingjd:
You shouldn't have to take the AIR2 out of your mouth to vent (that would make it a really bad alternative). You can vent through the right shoulder dump valve, or through the AIR2 without removing it. Push halfway down on the manual control button and the AIR2 will release air through the vent on the other side of the housing.

If you had a equipment problem and needed to use your reg with a standard power inflator, you could probably rent/borrow a hose with a standard fitting and replace the hose with the AIR2 fitting.

By the way, I see in another thread the original poster has already ordered his SS1, and here we are still giving advice one way or the other!

divingjd:
By the way, I see in another thread the original poster has already ordered his SS1, and here we are still giving advice one way or the other!

LOL I noticed that also. Oh well at least we all may have learned about the pros and cons of some different gear configs. :D

BTW, sorry if I butted in inappropriately before. I may have misinterpreted your post and was just trying to present a point of view.

divingjd:
BTW, sorry if I butted in inappropriately before. I may have misinterpreted your post and was just trying to present a point of view.

No problem at all. You didnt butt in. I just wanted to know if the person stating something was bad/good had actually tried it and I was afraid I had gotten the names mixed up or someone else had. I like hearing different opinons on gear. If I had heard more of them when I bought the first set I wouldnt have wasted so much money lol :)

Back
Top Bottom