Safe to buy "new" 2015 model wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Russell e Wolfe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Saw an add from online vendor for 2015 model Scubapro EverFlex suits. Assuming the 2015 models were probably assembled in 2014, this wetsuit has been stored for ~4 years.... is there any real concern with this? I have seen some vague references to neoprene degrading over time when in storage, but nothing really grounded. The price is 160 buck below the 2018 version... seems like a good deal. Thoughts?

I've never experienced neoprene degradation over time. You should be just fine.

Thanks! Appreciate the response!

wetsuits lose some of their stretch overtime. I would check on the return policy. UV light will definitely have an effect. If the suit was on a hanger it would be better, folds over time may become permanent. It will probably be okay.

Assuming it was stored properly (on a hanger in an environmentally controlled environment), should actually be in better shape than my 2015 that has about 60 dives and half dozen packing/unpacking/hanging and drying only partially rinsed/washed and hung ups.

No issue at all.

I suggest you contact the vendor or Scubapro through the manufacturers' forum on SB. I may be wrong but I don't think Scubapro refreshes their wetsuit products every year. So your 2015 model may have been the last model before the 2018 model. In other words, it could have been made in 2015 or 2016 or even early 2017. If your buying from Leisurepro, they have one of the best guarantees in the business. If you are not happy then send it back.

Being a dealer that has some old stock of wetsuits, as mentioned above if they are stored properly, they will be good to go. Check with vendor on their policies is always a good start, just in case.

I have a rather old ScubaPro shorty and it's still great. I'd still be wearing my old Rubatex suit from the 80s if it hadn't shrunk :wink:

Like others have said, if it was stored on a hanger it should be fine, but if it was folded I'd ask when I ordered it to check for permanent-looking fold marks. Check for free returns if something is wrong. If you pay with PayPal they often have free returns even if the vendor doesn't.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom