Safety Information is sometimes lacking...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FredGarvin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I just asked a dive operator in T & C - Provodenciales about the safety equipment aboard their vessel. They responded in a curt fashion. They were obviously miffed with my question, "How impertinent was I to question their safety provisions?"

I find it unprofessional and unconscionable that many dive operators fail to clearly identify their safety gear, such a s O2, non-rebreather masks, first-aid kits, radios, GPS, Radar, epirbs, hanging bar, extra regs off the bar etc. on their web sites. I think this information should be placed front and center.

One would think identifying safety provisions would be a sales benefit for dive operators, act as reassurance for their potential customers and perhaps be a requirement for recognition by the major dive certification agencies.

Just my thoughts... for whatever that's worth. :eyebrow:

Garv

as it was said in wizard of oz " you are not in Kansas anymore.".
Once outide the US different regulations,different levels of liability....

I just asked a dive operator in T & C - Provodenciales about the safety equipment aboard their vessel. They responded in a curt fashion. They were obviously miffed with my question, "How impertinent was I to question their safety provisions?"

Safety concerns vary according to what the dive op could possibly lose. If you're on a boat in Florida where losing a lawsuit could cost the dive op his home, boat and business, they tend to do everything possible to reduce risk.

When you're off Someplace Warm where suing someone is extremely difficult and collecting is even harder, things tend to be more lax.

I've used Dive Ops where I was covinced that their total assets consisted of an old boat and an outboard. They didn't have O2. Or a fire extinguisher. Or life jackets.

OTOH, it's not an astonishing risk. Just dive well within your training and no-deco limits and you'll probbaly be OK.

flots.

I find it unprofessional and unconscionable that many dive operators fail to clearly identify their safety gear, such a s O2, non-rebreather masks, first-aid kits, radios, GPS, Radar, epirbs, hanging bar, extra regs off the bar etc. on their web sites. I think this information should be placed front and center.
I wonder what percentage of their customers actually inquire, either via web site or phone?

Speculation: would 'advertising' lots of emergency response equipment (sort of an 'onboard ambulance') alarm some prospective customers, give off an unconscious message that the trips are dangerous?

After all, marketing and disclosure aren't about appealing to the highest and noblest sensibilities of the most knowledgeable and elite, but rather about drawing in the greatest numbers of paying customers at the least cost & hassle.

I agree that, skillfully done in some markets, advertising emergency readiness could be a selling point. Then again, if they're doing plenty of business without the effort, why bother?

Richard.

Since you used an operator in T&C as your example, here is just what you were asking for:

http://www.flamingodivers.com/boats.php

Excellent operator by the way.

This year we have been diving in Kaua'i, Roatan, Turks & Caicos, and Bermuda. All of the operators had equipment on board and all included the equipment and locations in the boat briefing before we even left the dock.

I once asked a boat operator in Roatan where the life jackets were. He looked at me like I was an idiot and said "use your BCD".

When in Rome ... etc ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've not done any third world diving, but each dive boat I've been on (NorCal, SoCal, Hawaii and Little Cayman) has made the location of the O2, first aid and radio part of the safety briefing.

I've not done any third world diving, but each dive boat I've been on (NorCal, SoCal, Hawaii and Little Cayman) has made the location of the O2, first aid and radio part of the safety briefing.

I was not referring to the requisite pre-dive brief but rather a dive operators marketing materials, particularly their web site. Personally I feel they should list their safety gear.
I agree with the concept that listing gear may cause some newbie divers some discomfort yet the list can be made somewhat innocuous and expressed in a way to demonstrate the professionalism and competence of the operator rather than in a fashion to scare.

Garv

Why would you expect to find that information on someone's web site?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom