Safety Information is sometimes lacking...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why wouldn't I? Is that such an unreasonable request? I think not. Information of that nature would reassure me that there is adequate gear aboard to deal with the usual list of dive related emergencies, injuries unrelated to diving and also basic maritime life support.

This information should be accessible without the need to ask, beg or cajole. It is not a national secret, certainly not an embarrassment unless the dive operation is devoid of the appropriate minimal safety gear.

Having safety gear posted would add an additional level of credence to the understanding that safety is concern number one in the recreational scuba industry.

But safety is not concern number one; otherwise you wouldn't even leave home. Yes, we all want to manage the risks, but we have to remember that everyone is looking at this from a different angle. I'm not saying it isn't reasonable to ask about safety gear, training and procedures; of course it's reasonable to ask. It may, however, be a bit unreasonable to expect that information without asking. And if you don't like the answer, then that should help you decide if you want to dive with that operation.

Diving is all about having fun. Part of that equation is comfort level. If you can't relax and enjoy yourself, what's the point? And all of that is totally beside the point of how safe the operation actually is; if you don't feel safe it doesn't really matter much if you actually are relatively safe because you can't enjoy yourself.

Diving is also about adventure. To a lot of folks, that means going outside their normal bounds of safety and comfort. So it's no surprise that people can make a living catering to those folks, even to the point of being rude to the ones who ask a simple question about safety equipment.

I've gone both ways on this issue, usually choosing the operation I have the most confidence in, but also sometimes going out with an operation most would find too sketchy to even consider. When I did that, though, I had no expectations beyond what I had already discussed. In other words, I didn't just assume they would take care of me; I knew I was taking a risk.

I'm a lot more comfortable going out with somebody who is upfront and readily tells me what he doesn't have than somebody with a big boat and a flashy logo who cops an attitude when I ask a simple question about safety.

But I don't expect the information before I ask for it. I think if I saw the kind of information you're talking about on an operation's website, it would be a positive influence on my decision whether to dive with them, but I wouldn't expect it.

I just asked a dive operator in T & C - Provodenciales about the safety equipment aboard their vessel. They responded in a curt fashion. They were obviously miffed with my question, "How impertinent was I to question their safety provisions?"
I think they told you all you needed to know, didn't they?

Agree with drrich2 - marketing your emergency equipment is a two edged blade - can be perceived both as good or bad depending on the customer's frame of mind.
I believe the scuba industry has a very good safety track record (hence why we are not regulated by governments) and want to keep it that way.
Specifically advertising emergency equipment could give the wrong impression...... the information about a dive center's emergency equipment should be shared easily upon request (possible a page on a website listing available equipment) but i dont believe should be a main selling point. Good dive centers know they are safe. News about unsafe diving operations gets out quickly....
.....anyway some more thoughts....

Why wouldn't I? Is that such an unreasonable request? I think not. Information of that nature would reassure me that there is adequate gear aboard to deal with the usual list of dive related emergencies, injuries unrelated to diving and also basic maritime life support.

This information should be accessible without the need to ask, beg or cajole. It is not a national secret, certainly not an embarrassment unless the dive operation is devoid of the appropriate minimal safety gear.

Having safety gear posted would add an additional level of credence to the understanding that safety is concern number one in the recreational scuba industry.

Do you carry all the safety equipment you expect the boat to carry when making a shore dive on your own.
If I feel the definite need for a certain piece of safety equipment I bring my own. The boat operator can carry anything he wants or none at all, all I want is a ride to and hopefully from the dive site.

13 years captaining a liveaboard dive boat. No one has ever asked to see the results of air tests. No one has ever asked where the defibrillator is. One customer has asked for the location of the boat's supply of Emergency Oxygen, no one has asked how much we carry (which is kind of a big deal carrying 20-30 divers and it's minimum 8 hours back to the dock). No one has asked to see the results of our last Coast Guard inspection. No one has ever asked to know if we carry an EMT onboard. No one has ever asked to know if we monitor for Carbon Monoxide. No one has ever asked if we perform emergency drills for fire, abandon ship, flooding, man overboard. No one has ever asked if we have a portable chamber. No one has ever asked if we have a referral physician on call so we can start medical treatment immediately. Thousands of customers, and not one of them cared to ask about the safety equipment or general safety of the boat.

I'd say you're beating a dead horse here.

13 years captaining a liveaboard dive boat. No one has ever asked to see the results of air tests. No one has ever asked where the defibrillator is. One customer has asked for the location of the boat's supply of Emergency Oxygen, no one has asked how much we carry (which is kind of a big deal carrying 20-30 divers and it's minimum 8 hours back to the dock). No one has asked to see the results of our last Coast Guard inspection. No one has ever asked to know if we carry an EMT onboard. No one has ever asked to know if we monitor for Carbon Monoxide. No one has ever asked if we perform emergency drills for fire, abandon ship, flooding, man overboard. No one has ever asked if we have a portable chamber. No one has ever asked if we have a referral physician on call so we can start medical treatment immediately. Thousands of customers, and not one of them cared to ask about the safety equipment or general safety of the boat.

It all depends on where your coming from and what position you're in. If you are in the diving safety biz, you have a file on every boat that any of your people dive from that includes all the items you list above and a fair number more. Frankly I use that same list for any boat that I use, though sometimes it just tells me what will not available in an emergency unless I bring it myself.

It all depends on where your coming from and what position you're in. If you are in the diving safety biz, you have a file on every boat that any of your people dive from that includes all the items you list above and a fair number more. Frankly I use that same list for any boat that I use, though sometimes it just tells me what will not available in an emergency unless I bring it myself.

Point taken. You are not the average dive boat customer, and your inquiries would come in the form of a RFQ/RFP. What we post on a website wouldn't mean a thing to you, because you want inspection dates and certification criteria. Now, do you think the OP was referencing UNOLS approved research vessels, or commercial sport diving operators. Hmmmm?

Thanks for weighing in Wookie,

Just because no one has ever asked you these questions doesn't mean the answers are not important. I learned to drive when wearing a seat belt - not the three point shoulder harness model of today, I might add - was a sign of cowardice or a passenger's lack of confidence in the driver. "Air bags in cars?" No one will pay for them! "A parachute for an entire airplane?" Science fiction and even if possible, will be unaffordable. "No smoking allowed on a public beach, outside!"... unimaginable just a few years ago.

When I learned to dive - in the stone age - octos (safe seconds) were only for divemasters and instructors, even the suggestion that everyone should have their own was considered "beating a dead horse", being wasteful of money and not gleefully accepting the "risk" of the sport. These days, no one would consider diving with a buddy who lacks some type of safe second. SMB? Dive sausage? Ten years ago, those questions would draw a blank stare.

Now I am not here to suggest we take the fun out of diving, if so then why dive? This is not our profession, at least for the most of us it is a sport or hobby. Also, I am not so naive to think one can purge any sport - or life itself for that matter - of inherent risk. Just crossing the street in the morning involves some degree of risk. I am simply suggesting there should be a modicum of disclosure when it comes to the dive safety gear aboard commercial dive vessels and this disclosure should be posted somewhere on the operator's web site. If posted in a clear and professional manner, it can only strengthen the public's perception that the dive community is serious about safety and can "police" itself without the intervention of authorities.

I do not believe asking a professional about their qualifications, experience, or equipment is either disrespectful, arrogant, rude or stupid. In fact quite the contrary, as our esteemed contributor Vladimir chimed, the operator's answer told me much about their operational philosophy, their ego and their probable lack of the very equipment of which I had inquired.

Perhaps no one asked you any of those questions because they were too intimidated to ask, perhaps they could observe the gear on your boat, maybe they were uneducated as to the correct questions to ask or it never crossed their minds. But those days may change and I'd hope you'd have no problem answering the questions... if asked.

Based on your statement it strikes me that you would consider yourself to be a consummate professional in your occupation. This I respect. I also assume reputation is important to you. I think you could only gain by proudly demonstrating your professionalism and this would help serve to shame those who do not hold themselves to your exemplary standard.

Garv

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom