Safety Information is sometimes lacking...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Point taken. You are not the average dive boat customer, and your inquiries would come in the form of a RFQ/RFP. What we post on a website wouldn't mean a thing to you, because you want inspection dates and certification criteria. Now, do you think the OP was referencing UNOLS approved research vessels, or commercial sport diving operators. Hmmmm?
Sorry I was being unclear. Yes we have a detailed list for UNOLS vessels of things that must be aboard, must be checked, must be exercised, etc. I use that same list (often just from memory) when I am using any boat. I don't expect that all those things be there, I just want to know what I can not expect to have available should things go south ... e.g., I don't want to be wasting time looking for an AEG when there is not one.

Thanks for weighing in Wookie,

Just because no one has ever asked you these questions doesn't mean the answers are not important. I learned to drive when wearing a seat belt - not the three point shoulder harness model of today, I might add - was a sign of cowardice or a passenger's lack of confidence in the driver. "Air bags in cars?" No one will pay for them! "A parachute for an entire airplane?" Science fiction and even if possible, will be unaffordable. "No smoking allowed on a public beach, outside!"... unimaginable just a few years ago.

When I learned to dive - in the stone age - octos (safe seconds) were only for divemasters and instructors, even the suggestion that everyone should have their own was considered "beating a dead horse", being wasteful of money and not gleefully accepting the "risk" of the sport. These days, no one would consider diving with a buddy who lacks some type of safe second. SMB? Dive sausage? Ten years ago, those questions would draw a blank stare.

Now I am not here to suggest we take the fun out of diving, if so then why dive? This is not our profession, at least for the most of us it is a sport or hobby. Also, I am not so naive to think one can purge any sport - or life itself for that matter - of inherent risk. Just crossing the street in the morning involves some degree of risk. I am simply suggesting there should be a modicum of disclosure when it comes to the dive safety gear aboard commercial dive vessels and this disclosure should be posted somewhere on the operator's web site. If posted in a clear and professional manner, it can only strengthen the public's perception that the dive community is serious about safety and can "police" itself without the intervention of authorities.

I do not believe asking a professional about their qualifications, experience, or equipment is either disrespectful, arrogant, rude or stupid. In fact quite the contrary, as our esteemed contributor Vladimir chimed, the operator's answer told me much about their operational philosophy, their ego and their probable lack of the very equipment of which I had inquired.

Perhaps no one asked you any of those questions because they were too intimidated to ask, perhaps they could observe the gear on your boat, maybe they were uneducated as to the correct questions to ask or it never crossed their minds. But those days may change and I'd hope you'd have no problem answering the questions... if asked.

Based on your statement it strikes me that you would consider yourself to be a consummate professional in your occupation. This I respect. I also assume reputation is important to you. I think you could only gain by proudly demonstrating your professionalism and this would help serve to shame those who do not hold themselves to your exemplary standard.

Garv

I agree with your sentiments 100%. And I do have to answer those questions when I am contracted by NOAA, or Universities, or National Park Service, etc. I do far more research (any more) than I do sport diving, although I love sport diving. I am more than happy to answer a casual question, as well as a more in-depth interrogation of the safety equipment we have available, as well as provide certifications and representations as necessary, but as I stated, no-one's (sport divers) ever asked for it. When folks start asking for information, we'll certainly provide it, and if enough folks ask, we'll post it.

The reason I don't is that it would be something else that would require constant updating. When someone asks for an air test, I can pull one from the folder and scan or fax it. If I post it on the web (like Fill Express does, for example) I have to remember to replace it there every quarter. And If I'm late a week or 2 getting the air test posted, then everyone sees that I'm not current, and they wonder why. If no one is asking for it, there is no upside to posting it, only a downside. When attitudes change, so will our procedures.

Perhaps the recreational classes need to teach their students to ask a few more questions?

...When folks start asking for information, we'll certainly provide it, and if enough folks ask, we'll post it.

The reason I don't is that it would be something else that would require constant updating. When someone asks for an air test, I can pull one from the folder and scan or fax it. If I post it on the web (like Fill Express does, for example) I have to remember to replace it there every quarter. And If I'm late a week or 2 getting the air test posted, then everyone sees that I'm not current, and they wonder why. If no one is asking for it, there is no upside to posting it, only a downside. When attitudes change, so will our procedures.

This, along with your earlier post that said almost nobody asks for the info, says it all.

Perhaps the recreational classes need to teach their students to ask a few more questions?

Thalassamania,

I would have to agree and so, I assume, would all the dive medicine doctors I know.

It is easy to be flippant when everything goes according to plan and everyone arrives on deck safe. The real test is when the "s" hits the proverbial fan and suddenly none of the baseline or expected safety gear is available.

By the way, I was not referring to specific items required on NOAA nor commercial/institutional research vessels but more common general stuff such as GPS, EPIRB, O2 with the number and size of bottles, O2 tank extenders, hang bar, hang regulators, scuba specific first aid kits (preferably trauma too), radar and marine band radios. (p.s. with the assumption that all the aforesaid equipment is operational)

To repeat, I am not asking for the world, but a simple page on the web site which lists a modicum of scuba related safety and first aid gear. The page should not be written in a way to instill fear but rather confidence that the operation is professional and believes client safety is a valid concern. :cool2:

Garv

Also consider some items you mention are a USCG requirement on commercial vessels. Diving specific items such as oxygen, hang bars, etc are not. I also depends on the size of the vessel, a 20 foot inflatable just isn't going to have or have space for what a 40 foot vessel might. Would that affect your decision to dive with a particular operator.

Also consider some items you mention are a USCG requirement on commercial vessels. Diving specific items such as oxygen, hang bars, etc are not. I also depends on the size of the vessel, a 20 foot inflatable just isn't going to have or have space for what a 40 foot vessel might. Would that affect your decision to dive with a particular operator.

Hello Cap,

Point well taken, but a 20 foot inflatable will never travel far from shore and is certainly not a live-aboard. My decision to dive with a commercial operation is based on several considerations, the size of the dive boats, the distance to shore relative to the size of the vessel, distance to a major dive facility, or any medical facility for that matter just to name a few, in addition to the general reputation of the operator are all taken into account.

If their web site is comprehensive, thoughtful and well designed, I feel it is a reflection of their operation as a whole. So a few words about their safety protocols and gear would certainly add to my confidence in them.

Again, I am not making specific statements as to what size vessel I will or will not dive, but rather asking for a modicum of declared information about safety in their marketing materials or their web site.

Garv

Last edited:
13 years captaining a liveaboard dive boat...... not one of them cared to ask about the safety equipment or general safety of the boat.

I'd say you're beating a dead horse here.

Don't want to ride that dead horse :no: so I care to ask - all the time, always! Shocking to hear from your experience that no one cares about safety equipment on board the boat. Where I dive at home in New England it is paramount - diving conditions are cold, deep and dark - I need to trust that my boat captain has taken care of his safety equipment since my life may depend on it.

This, along with your earlier post that said almost nobody asks for the info, says it all.

Sambolino,

Are you saying my observations are ridiculous? Why, just because one boat captain says no one has asked these pertinent questions before? I'd love to hear from a boat captain about the deposition they made to a plaintiff's attorney after a major mishap on their vessel. It is under these circumstances that details such as safety preparations become eminently important.

Garv

In court cases safety procedures are far more important that safety preparations, as long as all regulations are met.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom