Safety Risk for Children on dive boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Does anyone have experience taking young kids (ages 5-10) on a charter dive boat? These would be bubble watchers only. My concern is the unstable nature of boats and the risk of injury. I know USCG mandates PFD use but considering equipment and divers on decks w limited space it seems a safety issue to allow young kids on dive boats. Any feedback?

Wouldn't it depend on the type of boat? I only have exp on boats in KW, KL, and Ft. Lauderdale, and those boats don't seem 'dangerous' unless the child was unattended, walking around while divers are gearing up, jumping in, or getting out.

Last edited:
Well, you can make them wear a helmet, elbow pads, knee pads, a sport mouth piece, maybe wrap them in bubble wrap for fall protection and it will help them float if they fall overboard. Just kidding, I feel that a dive operation that allows kids that young on their boat should have some things on the boat that is accommodating for age levels along with enough competent staff to guide or direct the children while you are on the bottom because 5 minutes after the crew talks about the rules on the boat, the kids will surely break one of the rules on accident. If they don't have accommodations for what they are selling they have no business selling it. They need to set up a boat just for bubble watchers then. Also I don't feel parents should mix their scuba diving with their young children's day of snorkeling. Parents should just snorkel with them or dive and not bring them on the dive boat if they are not divers. I feel that a dive op that sells spots for non divers that young is just being greedy and want to make as much bank as they can every time the boat leaves the dock. When my kids were young we always brought another family member to entertain the kids at the hotel while we were on a dive boat. Part of our trips were for our diving and part of our trips were for our kids to have fun so there were some days we did not dive so we could do their fun stuff. I would not be comfortable diving worrying about my 5 year old on the boat or at the surface out of my sight.

I don't think it's clear if you mean to bring them, and leave them while you dive, or you will be with them the entire time watching other people dive?

As you're an instructor, I'm guessing you're asking the question from the perspective of a dive boat operator. If I were a dive boat operator, I would consider a policy of "no unattended children" at any time, and no children on the dive deck while dive operations are underway. In other words, I would consider allowing children on a dive boat only if there were some cabin or other deck out of the way of where the divers are doing their thing.

I was a dive boat operator. We had a no children policy, because children require child sized lifejackets, which we were not required to carry, children require watching, which is not why the crew is there (they are or should be watching divers), and when the poopoo is hitting the fan, little kids are easily launched into the bulkheads, staunchions, or over the side as adrenaline rushes and crew hustles.

Children have no place on a dive boat, but if you are chartering the whole boat, you won't inconvenience those of us who happen to not like children. Yes, there are actually people who work offshore so that they don't have to be around poorly trained small humans. Bring lifejackets to fit the kids. Real SOLAS or USCG Type 1 lifejackets. Those crappy west marine types likely won't cut it. Remember, your dive boat answers to a higher authority than the customer. They have to wear type 1's. In some states, all the time if younger than 8. Second, bring a nanny. The crew are not babysitters. Well, all divers need babysitting, but that's for another discussion. The crew don't need anyone to watch aside from the divers. The nanny needs to watch the kids. Bring something to keep the kids occupied. I'm thinking narcotics, but games and toys may work.

@Larry Hanes Are you the owner of the boat, a dive operator, or..? Including everything else that everyone else has mentioned, if you do decide to allow kids, I would also think about the adult to kid ratio. One adult watching a handful or even a few kids isn't going to work on a boat. There are too many external and environmental factors. What a liability nightmare, as well!

Thanks to all for replies. I am an instructor but also licensed operator of boat; that is my primary function. The theme of what I'm reading supports my concerns and this is basically what I informed the company where I'm employed. The boat is certified for over 15 divers and it's a crowded environment. It simply is not safe for a child, even if attended.

I vote with Wookie on the issue of prohibiting little kids from being on a dive boat. Was on a boat in Coz a couple of months ago that had a mix of a few divers, two families of snorkelers, including a couple of young kids, plus my wife who was not up for diving that day. The snorkelers did not interfere with us divers, other than me telling one of the kids to not touch my gear, but my wife told me those little kids were a real PITA, and they managed to ruin the snorkeling for everybody. Parents were trying to coax the kids into the water, then in and out, all the while while the rest of the snorkelers were waiting for the family with little kids to get their act together. Then the kids got cold and had to be brought back to the boat. Although the kids did not impede my diving, my wife and I agreed those little kids had no business on a dive/snorkel boat, and the dive op did a tremendous disservice to their customers by allowing it. Needless to say we won't use that op again.

Back
Top Bottom