Safety Risk for Children on dive boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMHO, like a lot of things scuba, it depends on the circumstances. On the big Corinthians I sometimes dive in the Keys, they take snorkelers (including kids) as well as divers out to the shallow reefs. It is planned for and handled well. The back of the boat is reserved for divers setup and briefings. Otherwise folks mingle a bit but mostly stay in their areas. I've been asked many times by snorkelers (adults & kids) about diving and have happily shown them my rig and explained some of the basics. Hopefully I've encouraged a few to try it for themselves. All in all it's worked out pretty well. Honestly divers kind of get "rock star" treatment and that's kind of fun. :)

An unsupervised 7 year old drowned on our dock on another boat when her father was distracted, last year. No way would we take a child out unless there was complete supervision by a non diver and maybe not even then.

I would not agree that witnessing a death (or its aftermath) due to medical causes is necessarily a bad thing for children.

I respectfully have to disagree with your point, with the caveat that the death they witness is an expected death, and one that they had been prepared for.

As a fire fighter and first responder, I have witnessed many deaths over the years of my service. These range from cardiac arrests, to fatal accidents, to drownings, to hangings, to overdoses, to fatal fires. Even the deaths that had been expected, ie: a terminal illness, have brought unexpected reactions from loved ones. If an adult is having a difficult time, no doubt that a child who may be present would have a difficult time as well.

While I wasn't present when my co-worker passed, from what I was told, I would not have wanted a child to witness the scene.

Divegoose

5-10 is a huge range. At 10 I took my sons fishing in the ocean in my 19 footer. At 5 I let them take a ride on the lake in calm weather and they were the center of attraction.

As noted on shallow reefs and calm seas and big boats you can mix snorklers and divers.

As a student skydiving I witnessed a child brought to an LZ have an emotional breakdown when he realized what Dad was intending to do. Dad had brought Son just to watch him jump. Child was 5 - 6 and would have been left unattended while Dad jumped SMH. Dad wisely didn't jump that day.

On the upside, any kid who spends time at a skydive DZ is going to learn a lot of new vocabulary...just maybe not the kind most folks want. :wink:

Leaving a 5-6 year old unsupervised on a DZ or expecting staff to babysit without prior arrangements is asking for a problem. From experience, I'd worry a lot more about a kid running onto an active taxiway or getting hit by standing in a swoop lane than seeing a parent doing a tandem get severely injured or killed. Again, those are all goofy things I've seen adults do more often than kids over 25+ years as a fun jumper, videographer, and instructor.

Back to scuba: I do respect a dive operation that says "no kids" up front if that's right for their circumstances. Sometimes bringing kids just isn't right for the type of diving, sometimes equipment is an issue, and sometimes even a captain's personality is a limiting factor. Either way, if kids are unwelcome, it's good to know so everyone can make an informed choice.

I was a dive boat operator. We had a no children policy, because children require child sized lifejackets, which we were not required to carry, children require watching, which is not why the crew is there (they are or should be watching divers), and when the poopoo is hitting the fan, little kids are easily launched into the bulkheads, staunchions, or over the side as adrenaline rushes and crew hustles.

Children have no place on a dive boat, but if you are chartering the whole boat, you won't inconvenience those of us who happen to not like children. Yes, there are actually people who work offshore so that they don't have to be around poorly trained small humans. Bring lifejackets to fit the kids. Real SOLAS or USCG Type 1 lifejackets. Those crappy west marine types likely won't cut it. Remember, your dive boat answers to a higher authority than the customer. They have to wear type 1's. In some states, all the time if younger than 8. Second, bring a nanny. The crew are not babysitters. Well, all divers need babysitting, but that's for another discussion. The crew don't need anyone to watch aside from the divers. The nanny needs to watch the kids. Bring something to keep the kids occupied. I'm thinking narcotics, but games and toys may work.

Oh my that is terrible
It takes a village :p
I’m glad my kids grew up in Hawaii and went on dive boats all the time. I never once ran into a captain that didn’t welcome them because most people that love the ocean want children to learn to love it too. Those are your future divers!!! The only reason I’m a diver is that my folks took us diving every holiday and threw us in the water. If you really care about the ocean maybe you should reevaluate your attitude towards “little humans”
Boat captains that don’t enjoy having kids experience the ocean are short sighted. If you are nice to families the parents often give you extra money anyway, it’s called a tip, you should try it. Just kidding

Last edited:
I respectfully have to disagree with your point, with the caveat that the death they witness is an expected death, and one that they had been prepared for.

As a fire fighter and first responder, I have witnessed many deaths over the years of my service. These range from cardiac arrests, to fatal accidents, to drownings, to hangings, to overdoses, to fatal fires. Even the deaths that had been expected, ie: a terminal illness, have brought unexpected reactions from loved ones. If an adult is having a difficult time, no doubt that a child who may be present would have a difficult time as well.

While I wasn't present when my co-worker passed, from what I was told, I would not have wanted a child to witness the scene.

Divegoose

I just don’t agree (trauma nurse, dive master)
My daughters Marine Biology teacher died freediving accident with her (Punahou School Hawaii) and all the kids grew from the experience as tragic as it was. The USCG actually held them out there off Molakai for two full days without cell service and it was a quite an ordeal. You should not try and prevent kids from experiencing life and this is a lot of what is going wrong with society and commercial scuba diving imo.

Fit guy, just a freak accident and the kids got past it together. People do die in the ocean just like they ski into trees. The most competent divers and captains grow up on boats and around the water. When these tragedies happen, the adults explain all that to the kids and then they go into life better prepared.

Now Wookie went and made all the Europeans think we are a selfish shitthole country :wink:

Last edited:
Thanks to all for replies. I am an instructor but also licensed operator of boat; that is my primary function. The theme of what I'm reading supports my concerns and this is basically what I informed the company where I'm employed. The boat is certified for over 15 divers and it's a crowded environment. It simply is not safe for a child, even if attended.
Can we ask which company you are employed by?

It’s not a safe environment for someone that age.

Now Wookie went and made all the Europeans think we are a selfish shitthole country :wink:

Not all of them, although it may wear thin, a few might still be willing to distinguish between country and leadership...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom