Safety Risk for Children on dive boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seriously though, even jokingly referring to someone being misogynistic for feeling kids don't belong on dive boats is a stretch.... I have kids. No way would I want them on a dive boat......
I'm not mysogenistic, and I don't dislike most kids. I do dislike poorly trained parents, though. Kids are just kids.

Does anyone have experience taking young kids (ages 5-10) on a charter dive boat? These would be bubble watchers only. My concern is the unstable nature of boats and the risk of injury. I know USCG mandates PFD use but considering equipment and divers on decks w limited space it seems a safety issue to allow young kids on dive boats. Any feedback?

Oh, you are in Hawaii. What we always did was tell people that if the boat was full they had to pay for the seat but they were welcome to snorkel on the surface interval. Drift dives to Sea Caves, Witches Brew an obvious exception.
The real answer is that some boats are set up for it and others might want to know you a little. A good option in Honolulu are "club dives." If you live there, you can find a shop that encourages kids because they will see them as future students. My kids dived there from nine and some of the boat captains have their own kids on the boat frequently.

I'm not mysogenistic, and I don't dislike most kids. I do dislike poorly trained parents, though. Kids are just kids.

Just curious, how many states / countries have you observed all these "poorly trained parents?"

It seems to me this parent is putting out feelers in a responsible way.

Yes sir, agreed. And they don't belong on dive boats IMO. I have farm animals. Everyone thinks they are cute, but they can do serious damage to a child. So I don't let my kids around the animals either......

Just curious, how many states / countries have you observed all these "poorly trained parents?"

It seems to me this parent is putting out feelers in a responsible way.
He is a dive boat captain, not a parent. Usually poorly trained parents are in the United States. They are in restaurants, in church, marching for women's rights, about anywhere.

Oh, and he is a dive boat captain. But nice try.

Well, I guess you got me. But my kids both were certified in Hawaii and used to snorkel quite young on dive boats when we lived in Catalina so we can agree to disagree.
Freediver dies on school trip

The question is, in reality, about what business model a dive op is using. If the dive op wants to cater to kids, and is competent and experienced and set up to do so, then it should work just fine. If not, it won't.

We operate a horse riding school in San Diego, and there are lots of parents and kids of all ages here. We welcome them and teach kids as young as 4 or 5 to ride. Many of those kids continue riding with us until they go off to college, and sometimes they bring their young children back to us to learn to ride.

Are there dangers? Yes. Are there special needs? Definitely. Do we require parents to supervise young children at all times? You betcha. It is not unusual for kids to have allergies, learning disabilities, illnesses, etc. etc. and you need to know how to recognize and handle these things.

If there are enough folks with young children who want to take them diving, some business will make that their specialty and set themselves up to do it properly. But those that have not, shouldn't be expected to become babysitters without prior notice and agreement.

You sound like a really fun dad :wink:

Seems to me, before I made judgment on another parent; I would be sure my own house was in order. For example, calling myself a “regular of the pub”....curious.

And BTW, using emojis after a comment does not excuse or in any way alleviate poor manners.

You sound like a really fun dad :wink:
1 question; have you worked near farm animals before?

1 question; have you worked near farm animals before?

Horses, dad had some cattle.
Horse shows, team penning.

I never slopped hogs or castrated a bull :wink: but I heard about it.
My kids both rode pretty young in California but I don't know what farm animals he was referring to.
We had some wild boars in our yard in Catalina once.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom