Safety stop - loosing my buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the dump valve vs LPI thing, I often prefer to vent air via the valve rather than the LPI. When I'm at the end of the dive, with an almost empty wing, the air moves easier towards the dump valve than the inflator hose elbow. If I want to vent from the dump valve, I roll slightly to my right and tip a little bit forward. If I want to vent from the LPI, I have to go pretty far away from horizontal to get the last bubbles to move into the inflator hose. Sometimes I have to move so far away from horizontal to dump properly from the LPI that my DS shoulder valve starts venting a little bit as well.

So if you want to keep in trim, it may be a good idea to use the dump valve rather than the LPI. As a bonus, there's less chance for kicking into the bottom and silting up the place when you roll forwards rather than backwards :)

I have to say I find using the dump valve a lot easier to use than the LPI when in horizontal trim. As @Storker mentions only a slight roll and tip forward (or butt lift) is sufficient to allow the dump to work. In trim, it takes a lot more than that to get the LPI to fully vent.

One thing I think a lot of people do with the dump though is yank on the cord therefore fully opening the dump valve instead of easing it open with a gentle pull. Just as you don't keep the LPI wide open when venting, you don't keep the dump valve wide open

For me it is quite simple: Vertical=LPI, horizontal=dump

exactly..I have replaced the thin cord on mine with a thicker string aka agir style, this way I can easily grip it and slooowly open it to feather how much to release.

And for me, who use drygloves (or 6-7mm three-fingers) for the majority of my diving, removing the plastic thingy on the end of the dump cord and replacing it with a puny knot is... less than optimal.

I have enough issues locating that cord as it is. Neither the dexterity nor the sensitivity of my fingers is particularly improved by wearing a pair of thick, warm gloves.

exactly..I have replaced the thin cord on mine with a thicker string aka agir style, this way I can easily grip it and slooowly open it to feather how much to release.
One of my dive buddies has put a rubber duck in place of the put-cord toggle.

Like others I use the dump valve which I find gives better control than the hose.

One of my dive buddies has put a rubber duck in place of the put-cord toggle.

Like others I use the dump valve which I find gives better control than the hose.
Love the idea of the rubber duck! Might just have to look at one for my gear!

I go vertical often. Out in the blue a bit looking at a wall, drifting along, inverted getting in real close to look at something, or just stopping to look around. It's really quite nice and relaxing.

I suspect you aren't on your first 50 dives though. This is fine and easy enough once you've got a feel for bouyancy.
When you are just starting out it and finding it a bit challenging like the OP, it can easier if you try to keep your whole body at the same depth. First learn to walk, walzing can come later.

I agree with others that excess weight usually makes bouyancy much harder for new divers. It's very hard to help them though, because they usually don't/won't realize that they are not getting their BCD completely empty, they are negative enough to start the dive and yes they can hold the safety stop if they just anticipated better, paid better attention to breathing, etc. etc. It's a bit much all at once and they get frustrated, can't believe it's that big a deal if they just use more weight and stop will listening if they decide you are just too darn critical. To some extent you have to let the beginners be beginners and pick up/refine skills as they go along. Bouyancy will get a whole lot easier once you learn to dive with minimal weight, but that in turn may require some bouyancy skills first.

Last edited:
Being a "vacation" diver there are sometimes long intervals between diving for me. As such I've adopted a method of checking my buoyancy at the end of my check-out dives on day 1 dive 1. At the end of my dive and safety stop, I make sure (usually by bleeding gas out of the octo) to get down to 700 psi and verify I can hold position. Again, I do this at the end of my safety stop so that if I get buoyant all I've done is sign up for a bit of a surface swim to the ladder.

With my weight loss (personal) every dive trip is an adventure in lead calculation. This past trip I started with 2 pounds less than I finished with in June. I had no problems and managed to drop a total of 7 pounds over the week, though to be fair I didn't really get close to the 500 psi gas level except for one deep dive earlier in the week.

To give you an idea... I started with a 2XL BCD and carried 28 pounds of lead 26 months ago. Last week, I wore a ML BCD and had 9 pounds of lead. (1.5 in each trim pouch and 3 in each drop pouch). I was originally diving a 100cf tank and lucky to get 60 minutes out of it. Now I dive an 80 and at 60 minutes come up with 1200 psi.

Keep diving, practicing, and it will improve.

Back
Top Bottom