Safety Stop Timer in Seconds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a personal preference, I like to physically see a count down and gives me a timer to solve the rubix cube during safety stops.

Actually, the first three minutes isn't "necessary". Oceanics will give you seconds, but I can't remember if it counts up or down. Fortunately, I can do the math in my head.

Well, OK, then four minutes is a safetier stop.
I don't understand. Once the computer hits 3 minutes don't you just ascend? Do you wait til it says 4 minutes to be sure?

My first thought when I saw this thread was "who cares". But then I realized I've often been on safety stops where someone is waiting for me and am always wondering if "1" means 1.9, 1.1, or what. So I guess it seems like a sort of nice can't hurt thing.

I don't think not having seconds means you're going to spend more or less time on your safety stop. It's presumably going to start at 3 and change to zero when it hits zero. Or the other direction if yours does that. You just don't know exactly where in between you are.

I always feel that time spent at the safety stop is like money in the bank. If nothing else is going on I have no problem spending an extra minute or two shedding a little more N2.

I would avoid a computer that doesn't display seconds otherwise you could be sitting there at 15 feet for up to an additional 59 seconds that isn't necessary.

A true tragedy.

Seeing seconds counting down on the display gives you something to look at ... so you can more easily miss the whale shark cruising by.

Mares Quad
Fair sized display
Can be had <$200 if you are patient
20180507_174655.jpg

All my Oceanic computers have safety stop countdown in minutes and seconds, Pro Plus 2, VT3, Geo 2, VT4

I've rarely seen anything worthwhile at a safety stop certainly not a whale shark.
Saw a whaleshark cruise by while on safety stop in Lyang Lyang.
Devil Ray at Malapascua etc etc.
Look around during safety stop and you will never what pass by(jelly fish!), the computer only displays numbers and nothing else.
Extra minute or two at 6m won't hurt. As for wasting valuable time in life, it is damn good better than kicking my heel at airport or bus/ferry terminal when something unexpected happened resulting in cancellation/delay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom