Salads in Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gt2003

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've heard to avoid the salads because of the cleanliness factor. Has anyone had any recent experience eating them or not eating them? I'd like to get some input before I go. I'd prefer to eat them but not if they are going to produce gastrointestinal problems. Thanks, Greg

gt2003:
I've heard to avoid the salads because of the cleanliness factor. Has anyone had any recent experience eating them or not eating them? I'd like to get some input before I go. I'd prefer to eat them but not if they are going to produce gastrointestinal problems. Thanks, Greg
I don't really order salads per se in Cozumel, however I have eaten fresh lettuce and other uncooked produce as part of other dishes (salsa, yum). The concern is that the vegtibles are washed but not cooked so the nasties in the water will cause you problems. Has never happened to me. As I have mentioned in other posts everybody knows the groundwater is bad in Cozumel so they use bottled water.

James

You can order Salads here in Cozumel and not get sick. Cozumel has cleaned up its act from 5-10yrs ago. TGIF has opened here and other establishments have taken precautions in preparing their foods. Now granted, all bodies are not the same, nor is the food here like the states or Canada. Just depends on your system and other factors. If you are concerned about it, I would go and get some Bactrim or any other bacterial medicine and start taking it a day or two before you arrive. Then just be careful in what you buy and order. The old saying goes " If you cant cook it or peel it, dont eat it".

We were just in Cozumel about two weeks ago---we ate a small amount of raw vegetables---some salsa etc. We did not eat salads---stayed with cooked foods. We did eat fresh fruit each morning and we had no problems at all….but I always take Pepto-Bismol (2 ounces four times daily, or two tablets four times daily). My sister who traveled the world over to very remote places always took Pepto-Bismol and had no problems. I did this in Roatan while diving for a week and others got sick and I never did. I took Pepto in Cozumel and I never was sick during our trip.

Take a look at this website as it is interesting reading.
http://www.clevelandclinic.org/health/health-info/docs/1700/1763.asp?index=7315

I always drink bottled water and brush my teeth with it too.

Have fun in Cozumel!

AZ divers

Basically, I have eaten just about anything and not had any problems (knock on wood) including eating at some of the local places way off the beaten path. While it won't help me with Montezuma's Revenge, knowing I have my Hep-A vaccination is reassuring. Basically if the place looks clean and reputable, then I have been ok.

Good luck.

Otter:
, knowing I have my Hep-A vaccination is reassuring.
Good luck.

I too have my Hep-A vaccination---just a nice to know when I get home I will not have hepatitis A to deal with--- working in a hospital clinical lab I very aware of this and other things you can pick up while traveling.

An AZ Diver

With a few simple precautions, traveler's diarrhea should not pose a worry.

This appeared, in edited version, in my March '00 "Ask RSD" column in Rodale's Scuba Diving:

"1. "Do I need to worry about "La Turista"/"Montezuma's Revenge" in Cozumel?" Rich T., Clark, NJ.

Most travelers to Coz report no problem with diarrhea. If concerned, the first step is watching what you drink. Major hotels and restaurants use purified tap water and ice--if in doubt, ask. Many supply bottled water free, and it can be purchased almost anywhere--domestics are the best buy. For extra care, brush teeth/rinse toothbrushes with it. Bottled beverages are generally very safe, but avoid unpasteurized products. Lime or alcoholic spirits may make drinks tastier and more fun, but don't count on them for protection.

Watch what you eat: (1) avoid or work your way up to greasy, fatty and spicy foods, and items you are not used to; (2) eat only fruits and vegetables which have been peeled/ thoroughly washed, and best to stick with the well cooked; (3) things like steak tartare, ceviche and raw shellfish can be inviting trouble; and (4) pass on street vendors and places that appear unhygienic.

Many physicians caution individuals against taking antibiotics preventively without a sound reason. If your diarrhea is caused by something other than a microorganism, or by one which is not targeted by or resistant to the antibiotic being taken, the drug simply make things worse. Antibiotics used to prevent and treat some types of diarrhea include Septra, Bactrim, Vibramycin, and Cipro. These are not medications to be used without physician consultation, even if some can be purchased in Mexico without a prescription. They can cause a severe or fatal allergic reaction, and some can cause sensitivity to the sun, sometimes extreme; special precautions need to be taken when using them. Starting Pepto-Bismol several days before and throughout the trip can be helpful, although this compound may not be well tolerated by some (e.g., those who do not tolerate aspirin), should not used with certain other drugs, and is not intended for long term use.

If you are stricken, some experts recommend seeking medical attention if diarrhea last more than two days, or is accompanied by fever, headache or bloody stool. Pepto-Bismol is also used for the treatment of diarrhea, although under a more aggressive regimen. Along with the antibiotics mentioned above, other medications given for the control of symptoms include the prescription drug, Lomotil (prescription only in the US), and the over the counter product, Imodium, although they can cause complications in those with serious infections, and may even prolong the course of the illness while controlling some of the features. Prescription antidiarrheals are also not to be used without physician consultation.

Diarrhea by its very nature results in fluid loss, drugs like Lomotil and Imodium can be drying, and many manufacturers recommend that water be taken liberally while on antibiotics. If you get ill, drink plenty of water & sports drinks, even more if taking medication.

There is no reason to fear diarrhea on Coz given common sense measures. If you take any medications, understand their adverse effects and carefully follow directions. Should you be stricken on Coz, there is a clinic well versed in treating the disorder--your hotel can direct you."

As regards raw salads, the nature of many vegetable leaves, like lettuce, render them difficult to thoroughly clean. As such, you may want to give them a pass.

Hopefully you found this informative.

DocVikingo

I read somewhere that the biggest cause of Montezuma's revenge is not water but actually salsa. In some places, the salsa sits on the table for hours without refrigeration. Also, there are unscrupulous places that recycle it - take it off one table and put it on another.

Just an FYI

K.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom