Saline Challenge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cg16

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Next week i am going out on my first Open Water Dive. But i cant go untill i complete a Saline Challenge because about 2-3 years ago i had rare asthma attacks. But haven't had them since. If i fail the test i wont be able to go Open Water Diving. What is involved in the test?
Thanks in advance.

This is really a question you should be asking your doctor. Saline challenge test is a fairly generic test of asthma, not something related to scuba diving.

My crude layman's understanding of a saline challenge test is that it consists of you breathing through a nebulizer that generates a saline mist. Then you do a bunch of breathing tests (such as seeing how much air you can exhale in 1 or 2 seconds). It is checking to see whether or not the saline mist causes your bronchial/lung passages get narrower, thereby reducing your ability to breathe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom