Salt folding knife - contest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have 2 spydercos, one above water and one below, a fixed version would be great and a free one even better as my family keps stealing mine!

i think that it is a great idea to come to the consumer to see what they actually need. Most companies think they know what people need and/or want, and they just make a big mess of things. Good luck with the knife designs and show us pics when you finally figure out what it will look like.

Evil :bgmad:

Hey Sal,

there's no such thing as too much gear, especially if it doesn't rust... :thumbs_up

El Orans

Count me in, please. One thing I didn't see, though, is a knife with a flat, blunt end (plenty of rounded ones) for digging. Did I miss one, or do you not make one?

salg:
I posted on another thread that I was seeking information on dive cutting tools. I thought that perhaps it was rude to ask for information without offering something in return.

Sal- put me on the list.

The last two Spyderco knives that I took diving were the "Dive Probe".

It was your basic Spyderco blade hinged on to a 8" and also a 10" (approx) bar that was marked with inches/millimeters.

Great thing until after the first dive. Each of them had instantaneous catastrophic failure of the spring steel bar that kept the blade in place. No kidding- first dive, just after rinsing and drying out in the sun. Your company made good on them immediately. Spring steel + NaCl = oxidation.

I carry a BK&T TacTool when "working" http://www.knifezone.ca/becker/tactool.htm but I am lucky enough to have one of the original (discontinued) hard chromed models. The current issue would have corrosion issues. Otherwise I always carry a little Spyderco. The Blackie Collins Zytel Knife with the Copper-Beryllium spring system is also handy for select applications. A folding knife is by deffinition a task loading object. You gotta open it. Secondly- it is much easier to access a well placed sheath knive that any folder no matter how cleverly stowed. For folders, I generally use a retracting device (Trident) and quick release clip, securing the device either on shoulder strap/ring or in accessable pouch. For most divers, a folder would be ill advised.

I have successfuly carried a Spyderco underwater for many years. It's a discontinued little folder with the intricately cut-out blade in the design of a spider and web. Brilliant handle and "spring" design with ambidextrious interchangability. That is a design! The model name I do not recall. It is perfect for a neck knife. I have used it under a ship to cut thru 1.5" braided line that had wound around the prop shaft in a high speed winching incident. Easy breezy... well- kind of! I also have the H&K version that was given to me with my Mk.23

I would enjoy doing a further T&E on anything made by Spyderco!

I have a spyderco on my keychain!
Nice work to get input!
Count me in "Drewpy"

Count me in.

Neil

Sal! Nice to see you here. You're a busy man.

I own a Salt, a Gunting, an Ayoob, a rookie, three or four Delicas, half a dozen Enduras....you get the picture. Kudos on building a great product.

If I win, I promise to send my prize to my brother, who's stationed at North Island w/ the Navy. The boy could use a rust free knife!

PS: Pickle, pickle, pickle, por favor. ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom