San Carlos The report post Gloria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishkiller

Contributor
Reaction score
Mesa Arizona, The all beach no ocean state.
# of dives
100 - 199
I have returned from a dive trip that needs to be posted.

I arranged for my dive trip to San Carlos with my LDS Saguaro Diving and Sports, located near my home in Mesa Arizona. Here in Arizona we have no ocean only limited viz. lake dives available so a dive trip to San Carlos can be arranged with most dive shops here in the valley, I went early this year with one shop to do my check out dives, having learned the trick of saving money went with my new LDS.

This group had 28 divers and 5 non-divers; we all met at the dive shop at 5:30 am Friday morning and loaded ourselves with gear and snacks onto a 42-passenger charter bus. We hit the road south by 6:15 by 7:00 a movie was being played and beer was being drunk. We stopped twice on the way to San Carlos once at the boarder, had to unload everything carry it across the boarder, push a button wait for green light, load gear back on the bus and then ourselves. The second stop was for gas in the bus and a few more snacks.

We arrived at the Club Med. in San Carlos at 2:45pm checked in walked to our rooms unpacked then headed to the scuba shack for shore dives. San Carlos had the prior weekend experienced a Hurricane and if I could remember her name would tell you that Gloria hit with 80-mph winds and really tore things up. The ship wreck that was located near the Club was wiped clean of all life the best snorkeling at a place called the aquarium was left clean out, just a cove with rocks. So this report is not typical of a dive at San Carlos but is typical of a post hurricane dive.

I found a buddy and went out to the bay, the visibility was 4 meters but the water temp was 83 degrees, at best we saw sand dollars by the hundreds. My buddy and I made our way past the sandy bottom and went to the edge of the bay and found a section of rocks, my buddy found all the large puffer fish hiding in the rocks, I was stung by a jellyfish on my right forearm. I went through a brief moment of pain and watching my arm twitch then was fine and finished our 35-minute dive.

That night for dinner we all attended a wedding reception, (If you get married at a resort where do you honeymoon?) so we ate under the stars and I ate well, steaks, lobster, salmon, and the best cheese cake.

The next morning awoke at 6:30 to eat breakfast at 7am then met at the Scuba shack at 7:45. Loaded our gear onto a Skiff that shuttled us out to the Nomad (an about 65 foot dive boat) for the one hour plus trip to Seal Island. Due to the people that were being certified I was put with a new buddy who was recently certified, I being an AOW diver was a little miffed because I wanted to go deep but my buddy was cool and we settled on 70 feet. At the Island the Visibility was much better about 60-70 feet the temp was 82 degrees so like the previous dive went sans exposure protection outside of reef gloves and my trunks. We dove until my air ran low. We moved to a second spot on the Island called the “Caves”. While we were diving, the person who brought two Apollo DPV’s came by stopped so we got to play. On one Pass by this large bull Seal swam right next to my buddy parallel to the shore and we all thought he would be attacked. That was a really fun dive.

The third tank dive we stopped by “the beach” which was full of sea lions. My buddy and I were the first in the water. We swam out a short way and decided to dropped down and swim to the beach while seeing how many sea lions would play with us. My buddy had problems equalizing his ears so I waited at 25 feet. Looking around there were all these clear jellyfish floating just like the one that stung me the day before, so I swam up and around to avoid them. Watching my buddy I rose to about 5 feet and then something hit me in the right arm, then my right thigh then ankle. I turned and watched this purple blueish jellyfish break apart as it hit my fin. I swam down to my buddy then realized I was in trouble gave my buddy the wide-eyed two thumbs up sign. On the surface I told my buddy that my entire right side was on fire as we were about 30 feet from the boat, my buddy helped me get to the boat and with my left arm tossed my fins on the boat and lugged myself aboard. The DM a small French guy was of little help to a large person as myself. I was soaked with vinegar while I dumped my equipment I went through a cycle of cold water and vinegar until I could function normally. Once I could move I put away my gear and soaked in vinegar. I felt pretty wimpy when a few other divers talked about being stung by jellyfish on the face and one guy while at the DECO bar kissed one in the safety regulator. I went to the furthest place from the food and people; because I felt wimpy for a large guy, then when my instructor asked what the jellyfish looked like and he told me it was Man O’ War did I feel somewhat better.

When we returned from the Island most everyone unloaded and went to eat lunch at the restaurant and to get ready for the night dive. I decided to go sailing, while others went water skiing or sail boarding.

The night dive was at a spot not to far out of the bay the temp was 82 degrees and Visibility still was about 5 meters less with several lights shinning on the Puffed puffer fish. Was attacked by these small red fish about a quarter of an inch long, saw a school of Barracuda and several green Moray eel’s the Cortez damsels and rays.

The next day we did two dives the visibility was low still no more than 10 meters I was in a threesome with my buddy from the day before and his friend that was newly certified. I lead them around spotting Eels and shrimp lobster and large king angels almost made it back to the boat before I ran low on air, we did our safety stop, on the surface we were just about 60 feet from the DECO bar and boat. could’ve stayed under that much longer if I had air. So on the second dive we planned on sharing air so we all could finish with about 800 psi. My second tank only started out with 2700psi so that was a good idea. Of course all good plans must come to an end and the guy with the DPV’s needed a partner so guess what? The four of us played around on the DPV’s. With the relatively low visibility it was pure luck that the first two people on the DPV’s found us, of course my buddy and I waited watching this large eel and scorpion fish. The best part of the dive is that I wasn’t the first to run low on air and the swim back to the boat was real easy with a DPV doing the work.

Getting back to Club MED at 1130 am I decided to go sailing again, at 1:30 took a quick shower and stopped by the restaurant for lunch prior to getting on the bus at 2pm.

We waited 3 hours at the boarder where we found out about the retaliation that took place and Barry Bonds hitting 73 home runs. We were home at 1 am.

Finally found it Fishkiller!! Sounds like a great trip (minus the jellies of course!) *hint* don't be macho...get a skin!! I HATE those #@&!! Jellies! But, Man-o-wars are NOT to be messed with..they do not work and play well with others! (haven't seen one here...but thats what I've heard!)

Got to love night diving..and it sounds like you are a good spotter!

You will LOVE Guam!

We hit the road south by 6:15 by 7:00 a movie was being played and beer was being drunk.

Beer before 7am in the morning?!?!? :eek:

Fishkiller,
Sounds like a fun trip.
After your run in with the Jellyfish, will you be wearing a fullsuit from now on??
I've hung on safety stops in schools of jellyfish and was glad I had on a fullsuit. :D:

Tavi

here are my answers :confused:

TracyDR

Of the shops offering this trip(San Carlos) I really enjoyed this all inclusive trip the only one. Most trips/groups stay at the La Plaza Gloria, a real nice hotel, you buy your own food and take your own transportation. Though there is a shop that includes a charter bus.

The Shop I went with Saguaro Diving and Sports use Club Med because of the seasonal use of the Club, won't go again until March. I recomend for November December January that you go with Desert Divers from Tucson 520-88-scuba ask for Russ at a cost of $299. This shop actually owns the boats that All other groups use for their dives. That is how I met Russ, on a trip with another group. With out a group I recomend www.garysdiveshop.com he also has a fleet of dive and fishing boats he has daily rental gear, tanks fills etc.

the standard San Carlos dive trip is: at a cost from $299 to $450
(the only ALL Inclusive is $399) but you have to add Transportation food tips etc. I went on a trip and spent $539 just for myself went with my LDS and spent $424

Friday Travel and shore dives

Saturday take the Ocean Spirit dive boat to San Pedro Island/Seal Island for three tanks dives
then optional$40 night dive

Sunday two dives around the area from the boat or at the island and go home

Anything I miss? Email or post

Dee

Yes Adult beverages were being Consumed that early on the trip I wasn't among them I sat by the cooler containg the Margaritta drink mix and asked for $5 each time I had to move. :mean:

Tavi

The Henderson lyra body suit is on order, I have thought about diving nekid and Scaring everything away.

Thanks Dee. Darn, wish the all inclusive was available in December, sounds great! Will firm up travel plans in the next week or two, let you know what we end up doing but I think this sounds like a go. Can't wait, for some reason have felt compelled to dive in Baja for a long time and never had a chance so this time I'm taking it. That is if my doctor clears me to go, which I think he will, if I promise no "inapropriate lifting". He'd much rather have me going underwater than on my horse,I'm quite sure!

like a great trip. Wish I lived a lot dloser to the ocean/Mexico, althought the great lakes are nice to dive in.

Butch :peace:

Sorry Tracy, but you're still not diving Baja, just the Sea of Cortez, should still be a great trip, in Sonora.

Fishkiller, why did they wait till 7 ?

adios don O

Back
Top Bottom