San Diego Dive Fatality 9-29-09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree that the situation was ultimately the diver's responsibility as it sounds as though he did not do any homework to prepare for, nor understood the conditions he was diving in.

A 3mil suit is for much warmer water, a 7 mil is the standard in this colder water temp. It sounds as though he did not know how much weight he needed and he asked someone for help and they must have thought he was diving a 7 mil. This diver obviously thought he was diving water similar to Florida or the Carribean and I think we have to ask ourselves how this happened.

As far as California being classified as warm water as the Canadian poster asserts, I think that saying "my water is colder than your water," basically turns this into a macho pissing match. Southern Calif. water temps average between 54 - 57 degrees. Catlina can see into the low 70's. In Nothern Calif., I've seen it as cold as 46 degrees. Most of the diving requires a 7 mil, 5-mil hood, and 5-mil gloves, a lot more weight to sink it all, kelp grows in the area and that classifies is as cold water - and a completely different skill set than diving warm water - period. If 38 degree water requires even more of a skill set, so be it, I wouldn't argue the point. I dive a DUI drysuit in California with the warmest thermals known to man, so I'm not sure how much more of a skill set I would have to acquire, but I think the skills I have now would probably translate.

I think the important thing here is not to promote a pissing contest for the coldest water, but to warn warm water divers of the dangers of believing that because California can have 100-degree days, that our waters are warm and the same as the Carribean or Florida. They are NOT - you must be prepared for the skills required to dive cold water. And if you tell warm water divers that California is warm water - don't worry about it, then you are setting that person up for the same potential fate as this man, and I would say -shame on you.

Yes, no one else is responsible for the mistakes this man made, but as California divers with the knowledge of the difference between warm water and cold water, we certainly could take a little more time to ask warm water divers some key questions that could make a difference. In this case, it was the difference between a 3 mil suit and a 7 mil suit that was key and was the first mistake that escalated into more mistakes. He had to be very cold, burning through his air trying to stay warm. Probably in a hurry because of the cold, the use of air and entanglement in kelp escalated the panic. These things caused him to stop thinking about what he was doing.

You could potentially save the life of a diver before they even jump into the water with simple observation. So many of us are worried that people will think that we are being nosey or overly protective, but if you use a friendly, casual approach, you can prevent those kinds of perceptions. Dive masters and operators on the boat should know the skill levels of their divers and they should be more assertive about it. If this operator had been on the ball, again, they could have potentially prevented this tragedy from happening before the diver even jumped in the water. For instance, if the operator knows that this is the first day of diving in cold water for a diver, they could set other requirements on the diver as to whom they are diving with and have a keen understanding of the mistakes that warm water divers may make.

The value of observation of other divers out of the water is one of the Rescue Diver skills you learn, but can quickly be forgotten and is not taught to Advanced divers. Lets all learn a lesson from the loss of this life and re-acqaint ourselves with this skill. OK, so a diver may still make mistakes, but what would it hurt? And you may never know, you could save a life without doing very much. You never may know how much of a difference you may have made. At least you would never have to say to yourself something like - I noticed that guy was diving a 3-mil and put a ton of weight on, but I figured it was his business and he knew what he was doing. You know he did not know what he was doing.

Speaking as an outsider that has never had any experience with kelp diving, this thread has been a real eye opener.

It is a shame that it had to come about through such sad circumstances

He goes on to provide some very startling details about the owner of the dive op...most of which are completely irrelevant to this incident, but if true, are pretty damning. Anyone who is considering using this dive op might want to do some investigating. The commenter has offered to have a direct discussion by email with anyone who is interested.

I want to add a caveat there that I have NO idea who this Pro Diver person is, and whether or not any of the information he has posted is true.

I am the LeeAnne who also commented in that thread. I was horrified to see people who clearly know nothing about SoCal diving, immediately publicly trashing the dive operator. I do not know the dive op - I live in Ventura County and have never dived with him. But based solely on the official reports so far, there is ZERO reason to blame the dive op - everything that has been reported to have gone wrong was, IMO, solely the diver's own responsibility.

Even if Pro Diver's account turns out to be true, most of what went wrong STILL is the diver's responsibility. But if it's all true, then the dive op most certainly was negligent in some ways, and should be held accountable.

LeeAnne, I am not criticizing you. However, I am a bit confused. Your statement that "]He goes on to provide some very startling details about the owner of the dive op...most of which are completely irrelevant to this incident, but if true, are pretty damning," seems to be self-contradictory. If the details are irrelevant, how could they be damning? Or is that just a general indictment of the operator? (I could buy that.)

As for your last paragraph, do you mean that you feel the dive op was negligent only if everything Pro Diver says is true, but otherwise is not negligent?

Somewhere else I think you commented on there not having been a DM on board. Is there some requirement that there be a DM on board? If the dive op is just running what amounts to a taxi service, why should there be a DM? I dive from my boat with others; am I required to have a DM aboard?

At least as I see it, unless an op is telling people there is a DM aboard who will dive with them and keep them safe, there is no requirement of a DM. If I'm wrong, please let me know.

I hate reading about these tragedies, especially in my hometown of San Diego. A place that I love to dive when I'm there (if I thought it would work, we'd have our meetings underwater with slates).

But, what scares the hell out of me is when I read posts that state, either implicitly or explicitly, that warm water, tropical diving is much easier than diving colder (50F and below is what I consider "cold water diving", and I don't dive in those places) water. It shows a certain lack of respect that may end tragically. Every environment and location has it's own set of dangers and challenges. Whether it's extra gear, dealing with kelp, handling a current that can drag you down 30ft in the blink of an eye, or water so clear you could hit 200ft before you realize it. ALL diving, no matter where it's at should be treated with an equal amount of respect. Unless you're a well trained exploration diver doing your thing in an uncharted location, there's always going to be ways to learn from the locals. More than a few times cold water divers have come down to Cozumel thinking that the diving will be cake compared to what they're used to and let down their guard because of that belief. And it was only by the grace of God, a lot of luck, and help from some attentive fellow divers (not necessarily a DM) that they didn't end-up a corpse on the reef and a thread in the A&I forum. My point. . . No matter where you go, if you aren't familiar with the local, dive with someone who is. If you aren't familiar with the equipment, train with it first. If you don't feel comfortable, save the dive for a day that you are. None of this is news, but it bears repeating.

I agree with you 100%. I'm one of the posters in here who has been loudly squawking about how CA diving is different from tropical diving. But I want to make it clear that the distinction is that they are DIFFERENT...one is not necessarily more dangerous than the other. All diving is dangerous.

But they are different in ways that can BE dangerous if the diver is unprepared. Many divers who are only used to tropical diving come to CA with no idea what these differences are -- and are utterly unprepared for them. While they likely will not find water so clear that they might drop to 200 ft before they know it (HA! I wish!), they WILL find colder water than they are used to, heavier wetsuits (meaning less flexibility) and constricting gear (hoods, thick gloves) that they are not used to, kelp that can be scary and difficult to get out of (if you don't know how), and poor visibility that can drop to zero vis in a heartbeat.

That's the message I've been trying to get across. I apologize if I in any way minimized the dangers inherent in warm-water diving. The bottom line, as you aptly brought forth, is that all divers need to become familiar with the site they are diving...and be knowledgeable about, and prepared for, the dangers that are unique to that area.

LeeAnne, I am not criticizing you. However, I am a bit confused. Your statement that "]He goes on to provide some very startling details about the owner of the dive op...most of which are completely irrelevant to this incident, but if true, are pretty damning," seems to be self-contradictory. If the details are irrelevant, how could they be damning? Or is that just a general indictment of the operator? (I could buy that.)

As for your last paragraph, do you mean that you feel the dive op was negligent only if everything Pro Diver says is true, but otherwise is not negligent?

Somewhere else I think you commented on there not having been a DM on board. Is there some requirement that there be a DM on board? If the dive op is just running what amounts to a taxi service, why should there be a DM? I dive from my boat with others; am I required to have a DM aboard?

At least as I see it, unless an op is telling people there is a DM aboard who will dive with them and keep them safe, there is no requirement of a DM. If I'm wrong, please let me know.

Bruce, I'll attempt to respond to all of your questions.

1. I don't believe I was being self-contradictory all - I think you misread my point. My point was that the information was damning about the dive operator in general...not necessarily about that one incident. As you can see from my later posts, I still feel (based, of course, on the information that's currently out there) that this incident was primarily due to diver error, not dive op negligence. But if all that Pro Diver said is true, it sure puts a black stain on that dive op. I sure wouldn't want to dive with an operation that is run so poorly and has such a checkered background!

2. I personally do not believe (again, based on the info that's available) that the dive op was negligent in this incident at all. However, IF they didn't have a certified DM onboard, that would be, I'm pretty sure, considered negligent by a court of law...assuming that it is a legal requirement. (See answer #3 below.)

3. ARE CA dive boats required to have a DM onboard? This is actually a question I can't answer for sure. I've always believed they DID have to...but I'm not sure where to get confirmation on that. I'll have to ask a dive operator. But I've never been on a dive boat, even a small one (six-pack) that didn't have a DM onboard. So I assumed that a DM is a legal requirement. As for you diving from you boat - we have a boat too, and we dive from it. But we are not a commercial operation...we're not charging our friends. Are you?

Sorry if my post confused you. Just to be clear: if all that Pro Diver said is true, that's not a dive op *I* want to do business with...thus my "damning" comment. But did any of that have anything to do with the incident? Probably not.

On the other hand, HAD a qualified DM been onboard, perhaps it could have been prevented by the DM giving the diver appropriate direction from the boat. As in...TAKE YOUR WEIGHT BELT OFF FIRST!!!

I dove with gottadive.com (DiveConnection) back in 2007, had a good experience with one of the DMs, but two other things, not so good.

The Good:

Diving the Yukon, new wrist seals on my drysuit were too tight. I had cut them down and tested them before-hand and thought they were OK. DM overheard me complaining to my dive buddy about it. She looked at my wrists and said they had to be cut down and she talked me into taking off the arms so she could cut the seals. Little did I realize just how tight they really were, as my hands hurt even more after removing them from the seal. I think it could have done some real damage if she hadn't been so observant and insistent.

The Bad

Saw one of their boats being towed back in as we were leaving - ran out of gas, they hadn't even gotten out of the inlet.

We were on a boat with a bunch of beginning divers, so they took us to the kelp beds, which was OK with us, but visibility was the worst I've ever experienced in the ocean, not even 2 feet. We aborted our dive because it simply wasn't worth it. We asked the captain to take us to some better viz for the second dive. Captain refused because he had beginners. Beginners also ended their first dive pretty quickly. We decided we weren't going to even bother with the second dive if the Captain wouldn't move the boat. But then, no one else wanted to do the second dive either. We asked the Captain again if he would try another dive site, again he refused and he and the crew were celebrating that the day was going to end quickly. We got back to shore, they would not refund our money because the bad viz was not their fault. Consequently, I will never dive with them again.

I have been diving with DnD and won't comment on them here. But the questions regarding DM's

Most dive op's here operate with a Divemaster that acts more as a safety diver. They are there for diver assistence, help on & off the boat, filling tanks, etc. and available in case of an emergency. They are usually suited up (no tanks, just MF&S) and ready to get in the water for surface support or surface rescue. Also, most dive ops will tell you in their briefings what the DM's responsibilities are. So no, you don't need a DM on your boat, but unless you are a commercial operation it's not really the same thing.

I am still curious how a diver can drop directly under the boat from the swim step and NO ONE goes in after him? I know the rule is no 2nd victims, and maybe no one else was available, trained and geared up. But still, I have to wonder why there does not seem to have been any attempt to send someone down after him.

Most dive op's here operate with a Divemaster that acts more as a safety diver. They are there for diver assistence, help on & off the boat, filling tanks, etc. and available in case of an emergency. They are usually suited up (no tanks, just MF&S) and ready to get in the water for surface support or surface rescue. Also, most dive ops will tell you in their briefings what the DM's responsibilities are. So no, you don't need a DM on your boat, but unless you are a commercial operation it's not really the same thing.

Thanks for clarifying local practice on dive boats with regards to DMs. Do you know if it's an actual law or requirement that a DM be onboard a commercial dive boat? I believed it was...but I could be wrong. If it IS a regulation, and the boat in question didn't have one, that right there is going to put them in violation of the law, and I would imagine could result in a finding of negligence in this fatality...in spite of the errors that the diver himself made.

I am still curious how a diver can drop directly under the boat from the swim step and NO ONE goes in after him? I know the rule is no 2nd victims, and maybe no one else was available, trained and geared up. But still, I have to wonder why there does not seem to have been any attempt to send someone down after him.

Yeah...I've been wondering that too! If this actually happened the way Pro Diver described...why wouldn't someone throw on some gear and jump in after him??? It's not like there were sharks or sea serpents in the water ready to chomp on anyone who jumped in! If someone could have brought him up, even if it took a while, it would be better than just leaving him down there until he was SURE to be good and drowned. And I'd still love to hear where his buddy was. Did he HAVE one? Or was he diving solo?

And just to head off anyone thinking I'm being self-contradictory - yes, based on the info out there, I still believe this incident was CAUSED by diver error (overweighting himself, not shedding his weights). But that doesn't negate the responsibility of the dive op, the buddy, or SOMEONE on that boat at least trying to help him AFTER he got in trouble!

This version of the incident, if true, would be an excellent case study in why a commercial dive boat SHOULD have a DM onboard. I don't know the make-up of the other divers onboard that day - but if they were all inexperienced, without rescue training, that could be why none of them were willing to jump in after him. But if the boat had a DM, he or she WOULD have the appropriate training to jump in and rescue a diver in trouble.

There is no law or regulation, but it is standard of practice in the community.

I also wonder how it is possible that nobody went in the water to stop that diver from sinking. The way this "Pro Diver" describes the incident (the guy from the boat trying to hold the diver on the surface but not being able to keep him / nobody telling him to take off the weight belt) certainly sounds as if either "Pro Diver" him- or herself was a direct witness to the incident, close enough to hear what was (not) being said, or that he / she heard it from a first-hand source. That means there was at least one other person present - quietly watching the failed attempt to keep the diver on the surface?

I find it very difficult to believe that someone who must have been so close that they could and should have assisted (or the "DM" on the boat himself), afterwards should go around having a big mouth about how badly the "DM" ****ed up. If that really was the case, that would shed a very strange light on that indiviadual. More likely, imo, that "Pro Diver" didn't get his / her info from a first-hand source.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom