San Diego Dive Fatality 9-29-09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

too bad for the diver,people should just keep their opinions to themselves because none of you were present and the facts are to obscure.put yourself in the familys shoes and stick with your dive buddy

too bad for the diver,people should just keep their opinions to themselves because none of you were present and the facts are to obscure.put yourself in the familys shoes and stick with your dive buddy
Eh, we hear that attitude a lot on this forum even tho it has nothing to do with the reason for the forum...
To learn from accidents,

Based on what-ifs as much as evidence as any learning that can prevent an accident is good;

Not to convict anyone;

With condolences prohibited here - to be posted in Passings so as to not disrupt objective learning discusssions.​
Some still want to convict; some still want to offer condolences; and some like you want us to shut up. But we keep reading about divers who surface, then drown with weights attached?! Maybe if more divers read the threads you want quiet we could lose fewer? :idk:

Last edited:
Well, I guess I learn something new everyday. I've never had to remove anything other than fins when boarding a boat. .

I take off everything except fins; to get back in to an inflatable. Cameras, lights, reels and weights go into the boat first. BCD, tank & regs are clipped off and pulled in afterwards. MPM

@DiveMom1: First of all, you should have your own cutting tool (EMT scissors, z-knife, regular knife, etc.). Many people carry 2 cutting tools and mount them on different parts of their rig.
Absolutely! I recommend the shears over any other cutting tool just for the ease of use....I haven't found anything they won't cut. I carry one one the shoulder and one on my waist....when spearing I add another cutting tool to my leg.

@DiveMom1: It sounds like your husband might like to move faster than you. If he gets frustrated moving at your slower pace or would rather not be bothered keeping tabs on you, then perhaps your diving goals aren't compatible. In other words, you might want to consider a new dive buddy. :D

Clearly you need another dive buddy. Bubbletrubble tried to make light of it, but in those conditions, you either need to be fully prepared for solo diving or have a dependable buddy (hubby or no).

Weighting: I thought integrated weights were the coolest thing until I tried to do a scuba bailout in my advanced class quite a few years back....found myself feet up holding onto my reg with my teeth for all I was worth. Now I use just enough on my BC to make it slightly neg with no air and to trim it (offset pony, etc). The rest goes on my belt and I adjust for my wetsuit setup.

...people should just keep their opinions to themselves...
Okay, you first. :eyebrow: And it would be an pretty quiet forum if people did.

Okay, you first. :eyebrow: And it would be an pretty quiet forum if people did.

And not as educational, either. I learn from other people's opinions :)

And not as educational, either. I learn from other people's opinions :)

To borrow from another SB poster, there are 3 types of people. Those who learn from others mistakes, those who learn from their own mistakes and those who never learn. I prefer to belong in the 1st catagory... it is the least painful.

I am curious if there is any general sense that this operation is actually unsafe or is this merely typical hype. I am scheduled to be on a dive with them in a couple of weeks. I am concerned.

I have dived on the DnDII many times since 1998. No gross neglegence there in my opinion.

IF you subscribe to the "I am responsible for my own safety and profile" school of thought (which I do), then I agree there is no "gross" neglegence. But from what I have seen in my diving experiences with them: disorganization, short surface intervals, marginal services, frequent boat issues, etc., there are better choices in that area. I've been with better ops, and will probably avoid them in the future.

Sorry I can't follow. Why do you think that? I came away from reading "Diver Down", the book about real-world accidents, as THE SINGLE MOST USEFUL piece of dive literature I've ever read.

are you talking about the book by Michael R. Ange? looks like the one. I just ordered it based on your reccomendation. Thanks, Nik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom