San Miguel Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seansrs36

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This last weekend I was able to go on a trip to San Miguel Island. SMI is one of the hardest islands in the Channel Islands chain to get to. This island is the most western and most exposed island of the Channel Islands. The water here is almost usually very cold. I was averaging 53 degrees for most of my dives. Thank goodness for a drysuit. With that said, SMI is also an excellent place for macro photography. It is full of nudibranches and other macro life. Here are some pictures from this weekend's trip to SMI:

More pics can be found at:

http://www.seansydnorphotography.com/p970551574

San Miguel is my favorite of the channel islands, I guess because it's got such a variety of cold and warmer water species. The diving can be sporty, though (as can the boat ride getting there, on occasion).

Nice photographs!

Nice pics. Love San Miguel ... not fond of the ride to get out there, though ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've been fortunate to get there 5 out of 5 attempts. Love it as it is so different from our toasty waters here off Catalina Island. Last time I was there we had many blue and humpback whales spotted during the dive briefings

I've been fortunate to get there 5 out of 5 attempts. Love it as it is so different from our toasty waters here off Catalina Island. Last time I was there we had many blue and humpback whales spotted during the dive briefings

You are lucky to get there 5 out of 5 times. The water there is sure damm cold.

---------- Post added July 1st, 2015 at 01:43 PM ----------

Thanks..the ride was not to bad..

Nice! Did you all have time & opportunity to dive any of the nearby deep pinnacles (Skyscraper; Boomerang Bank; Richardson Rock/Wilson Rock)?

Originally Posted by drbill View Post

You are lucky to get there 5 out of 5 times. The water there is sure damm K.

---------- Post added July 1st, 2015 at 01:43 PM ----------

Thanks..the ride was not to bad..

My record is not as good as far as getting out, but well worth the try. However, I go down to that area to do some warm water diving. It's colder than the rest of the islands but usually warmer than the Sonoma and Mendocino coast.

Bob

Nice! Did you all have time & opportunity to dive any of the nearby deep pinnacles (Skyscraper; Boomerang Bank; Richardson Rock/Wilson Rock)?

Here are the sites we did:

1. Wilson's Rock
2. Adams Cove
3. Tyler Bight
4. Tyler Bight
5. Wyckoff Ledge
6. Tyler Bight
7. Tyler Bight.

The wind was blowing pretty hard so we were limited to where we could go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom