Sandisk Ultra for GoPro Hero 3 Black ... ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carpster61

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have bought 3 Sandisk Ultra Class 10 MicroSD cards for my GoPro 3 Black edition for the Maldives in December. I have used the GoPro for diving twice only and that was off the English coast at Swanage. When set to 1080p / 60fps, there wasn't a problem that I could see when looking at the final results.

The second time I went down I unknowingly set the wrong settings. It was only when I watched it back that the video was extremely jerky all the way through. I then noticed that it had recorded in 2.7k / 24fps. I have no idea why it didn't play back at normal speed like it did in 1080p / 60fps.

When I googled recommends for Micro SD cards for my camera I saw that GoPro don't recommend the Sandisk ULTRA for the Black edition, they recommend the EXTREME, which is double the price. Is there anybody here who uses the Sandisk ULTRA Micro SD without any problems .... ??? These are the recommends, but no mention of the ULTRA ... ??? ... SD Card Recommendations ..... :wink:

When i purchased my black, i also made the mistake of getting the ultra card. Save your self some grief and get the extreme card, anything over 1080@30, maybe 60 frames and your going to have all kinds of problems. I know gopro addressed some of the issues with last firmware update, but not all of them. Newegg.com has the 32G extreme cards for 49.50, but i'm sure you could find them for cheaper. i use the 32G cards with 1080@60frames with protune on and i am limited by the battery not the card, even with the battery backpac.

Thanx CJ76 for that info. As I said in my post I could record on the Ultra at 1080p / 60 fps with no problems. I am more mystified why it didn't record properly when it was in 2.7k / 24fps. I have just found a site which does the Sandisk 32GB Extreme Plus UHS-1 Micro SD (SDHC) Bi-Coloured - Class 10 - 80MB/s for under £30 but they are out of stock. Thanx again.

Thanks for the info, I also have the Ultra cards. Had the same jerky footage in 2.7K mode. Thought my computer was to blame.

Hi Phoenix, is that saying that you use ULTRA cards without any problems ... ??? I am looking to see if there is anybody who does use Sandisk Ultra cards for their Black Edition GoPro without any problems. ;-)

Hey Carpster61, checked your GoPro link. That was not there when I bought my hero black last year. Nice of them to put up info a year late. I have a 32 &64 GB card. Work excellent in 1080P.

Like you I am very interested in any info on performance of the "Extreme Cards", or even better, a way to use the ultra cards I already have.

Hi Phoenix, is that saying that you use ULTRA cards without any problems ... ??? I am looking to see if there is anybody who does use Sandisk Ultra cards for their Black Edition GoPro without any problems. ;-)

no I'm just saying that I've seen issues where computers cant run the higher resolutions properly and that "usually" when the card is an issue you see it during recording not playback, camera freezes, stopped recordings etc... I'm not talking strictly gopro but with standard camcorders as well (when the card cant keep up the camera does weird stuff)... so it's worth checking the computer first before spending double the $$ on an extreme... unless you can borrow one and test that would be great!

As I said, mine records fine in 1080p with no issues. The GoPro was attached to my buddies head as we went out to the wreck in the rib. It was very choppy on the sea and I was trying to get the 1080p setting, but somehow after the dive we watched it back on the LCD screen attached to the GoPro asnd it was jerky then. So jerky that it was unwatchable. Obviously I couldnt watch it during recording as it was on her head.

Just dont want anything unexpected to happen on the Maldives trip. The footage is of paramount importance as this is once in a lifetime. :wink:

As I said, mine records fine in 1080p with no issues. The GoPro was attached to my buddies head as we went out to the wreck in the rib. It was very choppy on the sea and I was trying to get the 1080p setting, but somehow after the dive we watched it back on the LCD screen attached to the GoPro asnd it was jerky then. So jerky that it was unwatchable. Obviously I couldnt watch it during recording as it was on her head.

Just dont want anything unexpected to happen on the Maldives trip. The footage is of paramount importance as this is once in a lifetime. :wink:

Did you try watching that jerky video on your computer? or only on the gopro

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom